Banned

Repainting a chunk of cork on a rod

TM support bar took a chunk out of my cork rod handle.Has anyone had this happen and know how to repair it???

2. Tin Boats Moderator Pokie Pa's Avatar
    Here is what I use to fill bad cork.
    I used golden oak. It is sandable and the I cost With U40
    Attachment 418411
    Tim Messer ~ Lake Ariel, Pa.
    US Army 1968 ~ 1971

2019 Ranger RT188 ~ Merc PRO XS ~ MK Ultrex

3. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Pokie Pa View Post
    Here is what I use to fill bad cork.
    I used golden oak. It is sandable and the I cost With U40
    Attachment 418411
    TY...I will try this

4. Member
    If you have an old cork handle or get a piece of cork from a hobby shop, grind it up in a coarse powder. Mix w/ a little glue. I like gorilla glue. Should be like dough and not runny. Place in worn area and let dry then sand.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bbbill View Post
    If you have an old cork handle or get a piece of cork from a hobby shop, grind it up in a coarse powder. Mix w/ a little glue. I like gorilla glue. Should be like dough and not runny. Place in worn area and let dry then sand.
    This is what I do only I use thread finish instead of gorilla glue. Mix it up to a paste and press it in there, let it dry, sand it and you're all set. If you want to make the drive to South Elgin I'll do it for you.

If the piece isn't mangled you can glue it back in place with epoxy. I just did this same thing for a buddy using thread finish as mentioned above.
    WashCo Tournament Series

7. Member
    It is fairly easy to replace cork rings without stripping the rod. Remove the offending ring / rings. Clean the exposed blank area. Ream replacement ring ID to match blank dia. Razor cut from ring OD to ring ID one place only. Single slit so ring is still one piece. Place ring in hot water for a short period to make it pliable. Add glue to the blank and carefully spread ring and slip into place on the blank. Wire tie ring to close the slit. When dry, sand ring to match grip dia. The fix takes less time than this typing- lok

8. Banned
    I ended up gluing in cut up pieces and added some sanded fine grit on top to level it off.Then I found these Cal coast heat shrink rod sleeves to put over it .Thanks for the help guys

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by willwork4fish View Post
    This is what I do only I use thread finish instead of gorilla glue. Mix it up to a paste and press it in there, let it dry, sand it and you're all set. If you want to make the drive to South Elgin I'll do it for you.
    This ☝️ Ground up cork dust mixed in thick with Rod Bond then sanded down, from course sand paper to fine sandpaper. Will be stronger than the cork grip.

10. Member
    My trolling motor support rod get more rods each year than anything. This year 1 cork and two rod butts. I am getting pretty good at the repair though. Seems no matter how carefull I am it happens.

2023 Phoenix 920 Elite
    2023 Mercury Pro XS 4S