08 ZX20 with 200 HPDI VMax Setup Questions

Hi guys, not a skeeter owner, but trying to help a bud get his skeeter setup.

When he bought it, he remembers it running 64 mph.

He has a slide master manual plate on it with what looks to be a couple degrees wedges. I think it is a 12 inch plate. *Edit wasn't paying attention.

It came with a 25 T1 it got some ramp rash and needs to be repaired.

He has since got a reconditioned 25 tempest. We ran it for the first time today and got 62 mph but I'm not sure on the rpm. We played with the jack plate some raising it and lowering it and never got any better just worse. It would only hit about 57 afterwards.

So to my questions, what should his prop to pad be on a skeeter?

Anyone else have a similar setup? Looks like a Tempest might be slightly smaller diameter than a T1, should he try a 26? I know we need rpms to help with that.

Any advice on the same hull for setup is appreciated.

Thanks,

Jordan
    Last edited by ford4wd08; 07-27-2020 at 09:44 AM.

2019 Triton 189 TRX
    2019 Mercury 175 Pro XS 4 Stroke
    6" Rapid Jack Magnum Manual Plate

An 08 ZX 200 comes with a 12" manual jack plate. Either your year is wrong or your model. But I may be wrong, all Skeeters in that class have 12" plates w/ wedges.
    ******2008 ZX200/200 Yamaha Series 2******
    *God is great, beer is good ---- people are crazy*

Quote Originally Posted by go-fish View Post
    An 08 ZX 200 comes with a 12" manual jack plate. Either your year is wrong or your model. But I may be wrong, all Skeeters in that class have 12" plates w/ wedges.
    Maybe it was a 12 inch and I wasn't just paying attention.

Any tips for prop to pad?

2019 Triton 189 TRX

4. Member
    I have the same boat. I run a 25 Tempest that has been worked by Lanier (llprop.com). I run it at 2.25" below pad, which is 9 dots on the plate, motor mounted in the second hole. 64 loaded with 2 people and 66-67 with just me at 5500 RPM. I've tested several props, including 2 different 25 T1's, and the Tempest has been the best for me.

Quote Originally Posted by mrdeath View Post
    I have the same boat. I run a 25 Tempest that has been worked by Lanier (llprop.com). I run it at 2.25" below pad, which is 9 dots on the plate, motor mounted in the second hole. 64 loaded with 2 people and 66-67 with just me at 5500 RPM. I've tested several props, including 2 different 25 T1's, and the Tempest has been the best for me.
    Thanks for the info. In other threads I'm reading that we should run the Tempest lower than the T1 because it is bigger diameter. Did you find the same thing when you were setting yours up?

We were thinking it need to be about 3.5" under pad.

What rpms is the HPDI rated for?

2019 Triton 189 TRX

6. Member
    I ran the Tempest and T1 at the same height. T1 is 1/2" bigger in diameter, so it should be able to run higher than the Tempest, but in my case, I just left it where it was. I've been as high as 2" and as low as 3.25" and 2.25" is the sweet spot for mine.

The T1's I tried had both been repaired prior to me testing them, so I don't know if an unworked, factory one might have been better.

HPDI's make max power at 5500 RPM. They can be run higher (a lot of guys run them higher), but to me, you're just wasting gas at that point. Both the T1's I tried turned 5700-5800 and were 1-2 mph slower than my Tempest. I actually have a 25M that's about 1 MPH slower than my Tempest, but turns about 5700. I only paid $150 for it, so keep it as a spare. After trying 5 or 6 different props, I finally decided to just be happy with what I have and quit throwing money at it just to maybe gain 1 or 2 mph. Most of the time, I run at 60 mph, which is 5000 RPM.

Quote Originally Posted by mrdeath View Post
    I ran the Tempest and T1 at the same height. T1 is 1/2" bigger in diameter, so it should be able to run higher than the Tempest, but in my case, I just left it where it was. I've been as high as 2" and as low as 3.25" and 2.25" is the sweet spot for mine.

The T1's I tried had both been repaired prior to me testing them, so I don't know if an unworked, factory one might have been better.

HPDI's make max power at 5500 RPM. They can be run higher (a lot of guys run them higher), but to me, you're just wasting gas at that point. Both the T1's I tried turned 5700-5800 and were 1-2 mph slower than my Tempest. I actually have a 25M that's about 1 MPH slower than my Tempest, but turns about 5700. I only paid $150 for it, so keep it as a spare. After trying 5 or 6 different props, I finally decided to just be happy with what I have and quit throwing money at it just to maybe gain 1 or 2 mph. Most of the time, I run at 60 mph, which is 5000 RPM.
    Thanks for the info. The Tempest were are trialing has been reconditioned, it looks good, but you can never tell at times.

He has another buddy that said he could trial a new out of the box tempest 25. We will lower it some and see what we get.

We managed to have a major rooster tail at one point in testing and we know that is just wasting power.

Just have to get back on the water and try it again.

2019 Triton 189 TRX