Thread: New RT188 Cover

The Thriving Metropolis of Huntsville, Alabama

New RT188 Cover

I picked up my new boat cover for my 2016 RT188 from Cabela's yesterday. After putting it on I have mixed emotions. This was ordered from the boats serial number. I was surprised that my original cover was silver and now I have a black cover with Ranger Accessories imprinted on the both sides. The width is not as wide. Instead of having 3 each tie downs on both sides I now have 1 on both sides. The pattern is different however the material appears to be heavier denier. As I said... mixed emotions. Has anyone used Scotch Guard? If so how frequent?

2. Member
    I have the same one ....black with ranger on the sides. This one has 2 straps on each side. It is waterproof on its own down here in Florida.
    2019 Ranger rt188
    Merc 115 Pro xs ct
    Minn Kota Edge 70
    Tempest 21p

3. Member
    Any upholstery shop can add loops or straps fairly cheap. I have the silver cover on a 2016 rt178 and have used it for travel for about 2000 miles and they wear out fast.

4. Member
    When my current Ranger cover quits doing it's job (blocking the sun and keeping rain out of the boat), the next one will be from a local shop with Sunbrella or comparable fabric with an agreement on how it will be constructed.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rangerjeff View Post
    I have the same one ....black with ranger on the sides. This one has 2 straps on each side. It is waterproof on its own down here in Florida.
    How long have you had it? Has the black dye faded yet?

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted-LA View Post
    How long have you had it? Has the black dye faded yet?
    Had it 1 year and so far it still looks and performs well. I use 303 on it every 4 or 5 months.
    2019 Ranger rt188
    Merc 115 Pro xs ct
    Minn Kota Edge 70
    Tempest 21p

7. Member
    Thanks all for the responses. Last night we had a gully washer of a rain. This morning I had a HUGE pond. I will see if a local shop can add the straps. I may also look into using the 'tiger' clamps and a bungee cords that you see on the vinyl tarps...

Quote Originally Posted by papafrancisco View Post
    Thanks all for the responses. Last night we had a gully washer of a rain. This morning I had a HUGE pond. I will see if a local shop can add the straps. I may also look into using the 'tiger' clamps and a bungee cords that you see on the vinyl tarps...
    This may be helpful in solving the ponding.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

9. Member
    The cover I ordered for my RT178 from Ranger goes right over the pedestal seats and prevents any ponding of water. The fit is perfect however the quality of the cover leaves a little to be desired for $600 as it is getting rough in its 4th season. Boat sits outside from mid-March til December then goes into the garage for winter. Starting to deteriorate in some spots so I purchased a cheap $100 cover to put over the factory one. I will go to a local shop to get the next one in another year or two. I will always have a second cheap cover over the primary cover from here on out.

10. Member
    If I had more side tiedowns I would not have this problem. I only have one tire down on each side instead of three tiedowns on each side

11. Member
    Definitely need a setup like Bill has or leave both seats in folded down and all straps tight and the pull through strap ratcheted tight also.

12. Member
    Yea I wish I had a three tie down on the passenger side one about three feet in front of the seat. Sometimes I get a small puddle there if everything in not tighten up right nothing major.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by papafrancisco View Post
    If I had more side tiedowns I would not have this problem. I only have one tire down on each side instead of three tiedowns on each side
    My ranger cover has two on each side. If you are not happy with it, I would take it back.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishon396 View Post
    Yea I wish I had a three tie down on the passenger side one about three feet in front of the seat. Sometimes I get a small puddle there if everything in not tighten up right nothing major.
    Mt Ranger cover has 3 tie downs on each side.
    2016 Ranger RT188 Charcoal Metallic Dual Console
    2017 Yamaha 115 VMAX SHO SS Prop
    Lowrance Elite 7Ti in console
    Humminbird Helix 10 SI on BBT Bow Mount

Humminbird Helix 10 SI on a BalZout @ Console
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80 - 24V i-Pilot Link
    Transducer Shield Mount
    Custom step in place of center seat
    Trick Step