Motor overheating / not peeing

Boat ran fine then started alarming (overheating). While on the water checked the pee hole as it had not been used in several months, got some debris out of it and it was fine fora while. Ran back to the ramp and it started alarming again. Put it on the trailer and took it home. Put muffs on it after it had time to cool down and could not get any water from the pee hole. Is this the impeller ? If so how hard is it to get one and change it out. All the repair places are 3 to 4 weeks behind and don't want to wait that long if I don't have to. thanks in advance.

2. Member
    No one knows what engine you're asking about.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

3. Member
    My bad i guess. Its a 225 optimax....well I did post in the Mercury motor forum.

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Moved your thread to the correct forum for you.

If you would, please take a moment to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the Required Info (serial number) when posting. Thanks!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Remove and clean the COMPRESSOR WATER STRAINER.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    Remove and clean the COMPRESSOR WATER STRAINER.
    Did that and it was relative clean almost no residue at all. Appreciate the help. Everything flows good on the top side. I did not put the muffs on it today but will tomorrow. I am going to change the spark plugs while Im in there. I'll order and replace the impeller next on the list.

7. Member
    Better replace the impeller and clean out the coolant hose coming from the compressor.

8. Member
    +1!

If you don't have a telltale, the compressor cooling circuit is obstructed and you'll get a compressor overheat warning. Continuing to run engine under those conditions will cause a compressor failure = $$$ repair.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Additionally, be sure to do the impeller AND GASKETS (very important). ANYTIME you have water pressure or overheating problems, ALWAYS, ALWAYS start at the SOURCE: The Water Pump.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

10. Member
    Thanks all for the input. Still not there but getting there.

11. Member
    Is water coming from the fitting in the compressor head?

12. Member
    OK got a new impeller and gaskets installed (thanks to Bunch Marine for having the parts). Ran it on the muffs and got water coming out the pee hole. Will take it out on the lake tomorrow and see how it does, hopefully no more problems. Put the motor in gear and dropped the L/U and replaced parts and put the L/U back on myself. Might not be the easiest thing to do but not to bad of a job. I put the L/U in as far as I could and used a small tie down to hold the L/U in place and turned the prop until it seated all the way. Not bad once you figure it out. Thanks for all the suggestions / input.

13. Member
    all is good.

14. Member
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax