Recommended oil and filter

2020 Mercury 150 pro xs
    s/n 2BG98754

20 hour oil change is coming up soon and I need to know what to buy. What oil and filter is recommended? Also is it recommended that I change the lower unit oil also? Thanks.

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Inaccurate serial number- 2B_98754 (_ should be a DIGIT).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    I am in the same boat. My serial number is 2B649735. There are two options for oil recommended in the manual, "10W-30 Marine 4-Stroke Engine Oil is recommended for general all temperature use. As an optional choice, 25W-40 Mineral Marine 4-Stroke Engine Oil or 25W-40 Synthetic Blend Marine 4-Stroke engine oil may be used."

Any benefit of going to synthetic? Which is the best oil to use for a bass boat application? I know I need 6.3QT of whichever oil I buy.

Also is 877761K01 the correct filter?

Thanks

4. Member
    From Mercury's website:

4-Stroke (10W-30) Outboard Oil Specifically formulated and developed to meet the needs of: All 4-stroke outboard engines. - Developed for the rigors of the marine environment. - Industry-leading corrosion protection. - Features premium-grade synthetic and mineral-based stocks with specially designed marine grade additives not required in automotive oils.
    As to which filter, with your engine serial number you can look up parts for your engine at European Marine's website or direct off Mercury's parts site.
    Last edited by SilverFox579; 07-29-2020 at 10:09 AM.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthewstn View Post
    I am in the same boat. My serial number is 2B649735. There are two options for oil recommended in the manual, "10W-30 Marine 4-Stroke Engine Oil is recommended for general all temperature use. As an optional choice, 25W-40 Mineral Marine 4-Stroke Engine Oil or 25W-40 Synthetic Blend Marine 4-Stroke engine oil may be used."

Any benefit of going to synthetic? Which is the best oil to use for a bass boat application? I know I need 6.3QT of whichever oil I buy.

Also is 877761K01 the correct filter?

Thanks

Please remember- ONE engine per post.

Your engine uses the 877761K01 oil filter. Mercury does NOT recommend FULL Synthetic oils in this engine. They DO recommend a Synthetic BLEND oil, however.

Unless you will be operating in ambient air temps below 30 degrees F, I would recommend the 25w40 (preferably Synthetic Blend Mercury or Quicksilver) for the 150 Fourstroke.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor