Thread: Pick me a lake.

Pick me a lake.

Alright guys, looking for some advice. Planning a small trip Sunday and have four lakes on the list.

1. Martin : closest but will be crowded with party traffic and the fishing hasn't been great.

2. Mitchell : I usually do ok out of Barret fish camp but I really don't know if I am ready to put my new boat down that road.

3. Jordan : done ok there in the past but very unsure of the traffic level early Sunday morning.

4. Eufuala : furthest drive, and I'm comfortable saying that it will be fairly chaotic at the ramp.

I'm concerned about traffic level mainly at the boat ramp. This Pantera loads differently than my old Triton so I am a little slow getting her on the trailer. And I don't want to get myself in a hurry.

Thanks guys

2. Member
    Eufuala would be my choice. The ramp at the state park is huge with plenty of room. You can go up river and get away from the crowds. I have never been there in the summer, but I would think twice about water skiing and such with all the gators that place has.

3. Dogfish_Jones
    If you want the lake with less people go to Mitchell. I agree the road to Barrett’s is terrible, even at 10 mph. I can’t catch nothing there but they are not pulling any water with this dry spell we have had.

4. Member
    I have spent many an early Sunday morning at Barret. And empty boat ramp is one of the major reasons. It's a strong contender.

5. Dogfish_Jones
    Quote Originally Posted by Dstacks7 View Post
    I have spent many an early Sunday morning at Barret. And empty boat ramp is one of the major reasons. It's a strong contender.
    I’ve only been there twice. First time was pre-fishing for our club tournament and I was the only person there putting in that morning and when I left only two other vehicles were there, this was a mid week visit.
    Second time it was crowded as there was another club tournament putting in. I got the second to last parking space and this was before sunrise.
    That road is terrible....I will only got there if I have to now. I will put in at Higgins or near the Lay Dam next time.

6. Member
    My old boat was a little 17 ft with an old Johnson looper. I babied that thing. Always stayed close to the ramp, so for me Barrett was perfect and believe it or not I actually had caught some very nice fish. And with an old beat up trailer and beat up boat I didn't mind that horrible road as bad as I am now. And that new 200 Merc just doesn't seem to want to shut off. I'm seriously having to rethink my fishing style and settle down and expand on what has worked before not just blast to the other end of the lake because I can.

7. Member
    The wife and I settled on Jordan mainly due to her having never been. Fished 5 to 10. Caught one out deep in a main river ledge, two nice LM on a shallow grass line right as the sun was coming overhead , and a bonus spot on some schooling fish busting.

Plenty of bait and the spots were definitely chasing it. My plan was for about a 10 am to 11am exit and I'm glad I stuck to it. Plenty of traffic on the water by then.