Aluminum trailers

I will soon take possession of a boat on an aluminum trailer. If that trailer is anything like my jack plate it won't take long before it develops a patina.

For those that have one do you just live with it getting crappy looking or do you work at keeping it looking good? I'm not going to try keeping it looking like new but I would like it to look clean instead of stained.
    2006 Triton TR196 w/ 200 Optimax \ 2021 AlumaRyder 1860 w/ 200 Rotax

2. mikesxpress
    Congratulations! No more rust to deal with.

Rick it really depends on the coating the trailer manufacturer used. Ask them what preservation was applied and care instructions. My 2009 is like new condition with the exception of the inside of the rails aft of the axles. That takes the brunt of the flying road debris. I use wash-n-wax soap to clean it and Flagship wax on the exposed areas I can get too.

3. Member
    Thanks, Mike, but I am not completely out of the woods. I will still have the Triton on the Marinemaster trailer. After all these years it doesn’t have that much and now that it is stored in a garage it doesn’t seem to be getting any worse.

As for the aluminum trailer I did ask and was told to just use normal boat soap. I appreciate the tip - I will find out if it has a protective coating.

4. Member
    I use Zep Citrius degreaser on mine and dont dilute it. Its not an acid and will not turn it white.

5. Member
    Look at sharkhide

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesxpress View Post
    Congratulations! No more rust to deal with.

Rick it really depends on the coating the trailer manufacturer used. Ask them what preservation was applied and care instructions. My 2009 is like new condition with the exception of the inside of the rails aft of the axles. That takes the brunt of the flying road debris. I use wash-n-wax soap to clean it and Flagship wax on the exposed areas I can get too.

GREAT looking intercoastal!!!
    2015 Xpress X19/ Yamaha VMAX 175 SHO

7. Member
    Now that I have the aluminum trailer I know that there’s no coating on it. Will there be a problem with road salt during the winter months? Does the trailer need to be washed down if some gets on it?

8. mikesxpress
    Rick what brand aluminum trailer did you get? Got any pictures?

9. mikesxpress
    Rinse/wash the trailer after any saltwater exposure. Car wash wand is great for that.
    At home use an ounce or so of Dawn in a hose connected sprayer like you use to apply Miracle Grow. Let it sit a couple minutes and rinse. That will remove the salt.

Meguiar's Trailer Corrosion Protectant

https://www.meguiars.com/marine/prod...ion-protectant

One can will coat an average trailer with 2-3 light coats. This product deposits an acrylic resin via acetone/isopropyl alcohol carrier that evaporates and the coating lasts 6 months+ depending on UV exposure/use.
    Best to apply this on a clean trailer in a covered area with no wind and adequate ventilation. Suggest you use a respirator designed for automotive paint shops. Let it dry overnight.

10. Member
    Great information Mike! How do you prevent overspray on the boat? Do you remove the boat to spray?

11. mikesxpress
    Piece of cardboard.

12. Member
    Rick what brand aluminum trailer did you get? Got any pictures?
    Brand is Mayhem, but it is customized by AlumaRyder to make the original almost unrecognizable. Two pictures:

This is from before I had the Drotto installed:

13. Member
    Rinse/wash the trailer after any saltwater exposure.
    So that would apply to road salt also? How long after the exposure do you have before there is a problem?

14. mikesxpress
    Also applies to road salt. You need to get it cleaned off the same day of exposure. Sooner the better.

15. Member
    Thanks Mike.

16. mikesxpress
    That's a jet boat?

17. Member
    That's a jet boat?
    Yes.

I started looking to replace my Triton as it is getting a little long in the tooth. I decided it would be too much money for a layout I didn't like as much as what I had. I figured I should get another boat to fish one of the best smallmouth fisheries in the country that is in my backyard, the Susquehanna River. I couldn't get to some of the better spots with a fiberglass boat with a prop. I can run through areas like this with no problem as I only need 3" when on plane. I still have the Triton to fish deeper bodies of water.

18. Member
    If your going to do it do it right:

https://www.thehulltruth.com/trucks-...trailer-2.html
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay