Mallet or Blade Putter

I have been in a putting slump for the better part of this year and currently I am thinking about switching putters. I have an Odyssey White Hot Pro 2-Ball with Super Stroke grip at the moment and would like to try out a blade style putter. Has anyone switched from a mallet to a blade with favorable results? As much as I would like to get a Scotty, I just cannot justify that cost. Does anyone have any recommendations on good, used blade putters?

2. Member
    whatever you decide on be sure to keep the old one. The biggest challenge in putting is between your ears.

3. Member
    I went to a Never Compromise blade that Zac Johnson used years ago with a lot of success.
    I had been using a mallet with a claw grip.
    It felt good to go back to a standard grip and putter head.
    Go to your trusty PGA Store or Golf Galaxy and swing a lot of putters.
    You will find one that feels good to you.
    Get it fitted to check loft and lie before you buy.

I have 20+ putter in the garage and have had fun this summer going back and trying a few out to give them a second, third or fourth chance.

4. Blazer Boats Moderator Rebel1's Avatar
    I swap back and forth from my Taylormade Spider mallet and a Scotty Cameron blade....depending on how the stroke is feeling.

I agree with going to our local golf shop and try out everything you can, even the used stuff.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RJR View Post
    whatever you decide on be sure to keep the old one. The biggest challenge in putting is between your ears.
    If only I could control myself. Definitely will be keeping the old one, but just hoping to spice things up.

6. Member
    I've tried over a hundred putters throughout the years, all styles of mallets and blades, even a football shaped putter, but i always end up going back to the Scotty Cameron Laguna or Ping Zing style putters, a change up works for me sometimes for a short term, especially on certain types of greens.

7. Member
    I bought this Ping Zing at the FT Bragg clubhouse in 1972. I Have never seriously looked at buying another putter. The head is solid brass. The shaft shows slightly at the top of the grip but that doesn't bother my grip. Maybe some day I"ll send it back to ping for a new grip. Maybe!

20200729_162358.jpg

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeSF View Post
    I bought this Ping Zing at the FT Bragg clubhouse in 1972. I Have never seriously looked at buying another putter. The head is solid brass. The shaft shows slightly at the top of the grip but that doesn't bother my grip. Maybe some day I"ll send it back to ping for a new grip. Maybe!

20200729_162358.jpg
    That could b e worth a little $. I have seen some listed at $1500 on resale sites.
    I have three early pings from. About those times my Dad gave me.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bearetta View Post
    That could b e worth a little $. I have seen some listed at $1500 on resale sites.
    I have three early pings from. About those times my Dad gave me.
    changing the subject a bit, is there much of a collection community for old golf equipment?

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RJR View Post
    changing the subject a bit, is there much of a collection community for old golf equipment?
    must be if they are paying that amount. I don’t but there must be some that collect.

11. Member
    I have been a horrendous putter all my life, I just have a really choppy stroke and I know it is not the arrow it is the indian but I bought a Ping Sgyma Tyne off FB marketplace and I have been dropping putts all year. It just feels really well balanced and I HAVE CONFIDENCE In making a 6 footer.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pureoil313 View Post
    I have been a horrendous putter all my life, I just have a really choppy stroke and I know it is not the arrow it is the indian but I bought a Ping Sgyma Tyne off FB marketplace and I have been dropping putts all year. It just feels really well balanced and I HAVE CONFIDENCE In making a 6 footer.
    In my case it is definitely the Indian, but I want the best arrow possible. I like my stroke and speed for the most part but I can't really read a green. Sometimes I put it all together and makes me wonder why it can't be like that all the time.