Thread: Gatorbak's!

Gatorbak's!

Put Gatorbak's on my 2019 Z19 single axle trailer today and am impressed! Super easy to load - no power-loading needed...at least on the ramp I used today. Maybe steeper ramps will require a little, but surely not much. I always keep my bow strap hooked up until I'm in the water, so obviously no difference there. The thickness and quality of the Gatorbak's is what surprises me the most. I can definitely tell these will last many years...more than likely longer than the treated 2x4's.

I went ahead and rounded off the top edges of the 2x4's. The design of the hull (NVT) looked like it required it and it really didn't take that long. Table saw and belt sander is all it took.

The product number of Gatorbak that I went with was GBRE350 - I highly advise getting the kit and not just the covers. They sent more than enough SS screws and the end caps look really nice. Also - mention that you are a BBC member and you'll get a 10% discount!!

Hope this helps if you're interested in upgrading your trailer bunks.

1.jpg
    “Without uncompromising faith, no miracle can ever occur.” - Stan Kellner

2. Member
    Great to hear, been running them all year and so far very pleased myself.
    BbBC discounts apply but don’t forget DrewTick is a board sponsor and handles them too
    2019 Ford F-150 Platinum (3.5EcoBoost/10spd)
    **Listed FOR SALE**2014 Ranger Z119C w/ Evinrude ETEC 225HO Running Croxton’s Razor 4XL 25P
    Helix 12 Mega G2N’s with Ultrex
    Think like a fish, no matter how weird it gets

3. mikesxpress
    Looks good Tony.

Gatorbak is also a board sponsor!

4. Member
    Just put the new one's on and took my 4 year old one's off, I wasn't impressed with how they old ones loaded at all, way to sticky and boat didn't want to slide any at all, was told the new ones would be a lot different, haven't had a chance to try them yet.
    Last edited by red186; 07-24-2020 at 04:20 PM.

Looks great nice and clean!
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

Quote Originally Posted by red186 View Post
    Just put the new one's on and took my 4 year old one's off, I wasn't impressed with how they old ones loaded at all, way to sticky and boat didn't want to slide any at all, was told the new ones would be a lot different, haven't had a chance to try them yet.
    I never had the old ones but i just put a set of the latest gatorbaks on and i will say the boat slides very easily up the trailer. Far less effort than the carpet. Very pleased with them.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Minnkota Ultrex.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TritonTRXV8 View Post
    I never had the old ones but i just put a set of the latest gatorbaks on and i will say the boat slides very easily up the trailer. Far less effort than the carpet. Very pleased with them.
    They are very slick and for that reason DO NOT EVER remove the strap until your trailer is in the water. Anglers have dumped their boats on the boat ramp - ouch!

8. mikesxpress
    Removing the bow strap before you get to the ramp edge on any rig, with any bunks, is just increasing your odds of dumping it off the trailer. Folks still do it.

9. Member
    I replaced my old carpet bunks with the new Gator Bak xp covers....they look really good but do not load any easier than my carpet bunks. If I had to do it all again I’d recarpet and save a lot of money/ time. Ps...I always unhook winch strap at top of ramp, guess I like to live dangerously lol
    Attached Images Attached Images

10. Member
    Those look great. i'm contemplating putting them on my trailer, really would like to keep water off floor of my garage.
    Joefish
    2007 Ranger 178DVS
    Evinrude ETEC 150

<*)}}}><

Quote Originally Posted by Drc3 View Post
    I replaced my old carpet bunks with the new Gator Bak xp covers....they look really good but do not load any easier than my carpet bunks. If I had to do it all again I’d recarpet and save a lot of money/ time. Ps...I always unhook winch strap at top of ramp, guess I like to live dangerously lol
    Are you backing in deeper? Just about the entire bunk needs to be under water. I know mine takes less than half the effort to slide up the trailer now.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Minnkota Ultrex.

12. Member
    Ya I’ve read up and watched YouTube. I can only back trailer so deep cause of the Terrova hanging over the bow, but always submerge the bunks and pull forward to load the boat. Tried different depths on different ramps with the same result. I’m not bashing the product...it’s quality, just doesn’t work with my particular combo.

13. Member
    I've had mine for about 6 months. These are the older ones. It took me a year or more to find time to get them installed. Getting the old carpet and staples out was the biggest part of the job, and getting a straight cut at the bunk ends with a razor knife. Mine cut like butter, so you have to be careful. One wrong cut and it looks like crap. I try not to power load, but old habits die hard. I usually nudge it up on the long boards and then crank it in. The short boards have to be just under the water. I have noticed that on my bunks I don't have complete contact the entire length of the board. There is a small gap in contact toward the center of the board. My boards had two layers of carpet. There may have been a gap there before, but with the carpet it wasn't visible. I also noticed that on one particular ramp I have to get the trailer perfect or it doesn't load right. One night I had to back it in four times to get it on right. They do look great, and I do like the fact that my hull isn't exposed to water trapped in the carpet. Time will tell if I stay with these or go back to carpet.

14. Member
    I ordered mine in 2018, put them on new 2x4's and then they sat on the garage until I finally took the time to install them last week. I think they work great. Less throttle to load and I dunk the boards then pull up a bit. Yes I am now putting the trailer a little deeper in the water when loading. But they work. I never expected that I would be able to load without some sort of "power loading". I can definitely tell it takes less to load properly now.

Time will tell how they hold up.

15. Member
    Living the good life on Lake Hartwell, Fair Play, SC
    Quote Originally Posted by Drc3 View Post

FYI, gatorbacs are not for loading your boat easier on the ramp by "powerloading" like with carpeting. Yes, the new gatorbac material is easier to run your boat up on the trailer but that is a secondary benefit. The biggest benefit of gator bacs is not having wet carpeting on your gel coat between trip to the lake. Gatorbacs will not hold water like carpeting thus extending the life of the lumber.
    2013 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P