Trim / Tilt Range on v8 ProXS

S/N 2B573981

Is there a way to reset the trim / tilt range on a v8 250 ProXS? I'm wondering if the manufacturer set mine too low as when it's tilted all the way up half of the lower unit is still under water (pic attached). Is this how it's supposed to be or can I adjust it?

Attached Images Attached Images

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Tilt Limit and Trim Limit can be set by the Dealer, using the G3-2019 Computer Diagnostic System.

You have pictured an engine in the TILT range.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Thanks EuropeanAM. It is going to the dealer on Monday so I'll see if they can handle that while it's there.

4. Member
    I’m having the same problem,’my dealer checked everything and my boat just won’t get lift and won’t run over 60 mph then he just had another guy call and having the same issue as I’m having , rpm won’t get the boat going. Is going to replace the trim parts and sensor because he said I’m not getting the right rise out of it , we check throttle opening, different props, everything

What can they do with the trim limit? Does that mean where u hit the trim tabs?
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    There are tilt AND trim limits that can be set (electrically, with the G3 CDS).

The TRIM limit should be permitting a total of 20 degress of trim range (one degree more than most previous 3L models).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    Don
    I noticed I’m not able to trim up as much as I could previously. I added the merc monitor kit last fall. Could this have changed my trim limit. Is this adjustable with in my merc monitor? I noticed a few weeks ago my max trim on merc monitor is 6.5 under high speed conditions. I thought I remembered that being 8 something last fall. Also I had the dealer do the 20 hour service and winterize. Could that have affected my trim limit?
    i have the same issues the previous posts are stating. Lower than expected RPM and top speed. Lost at least 6MPH from last season.
    Just an FYI on my setup, nitro Z19 with 200hp pro XS V8 serial # 2B646639
    thanks

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    No. When you perform a calibration in your MercMonitor, you are simply calibrating IT to match the raw trim data being sent across the Smartcraft Network. No changes are made to the engine's limits.

Have you checked ALL mounting hardware torques (jackplate AND engine), verified there is no skewing or damage to the jackplate, etc?

Unless a trim sensor was replaced, there would be no reason for the trim or tilt limits to be altered (it would be very difficult to do this "accidentally").

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ll2014 View Post
    Thanks EuropeanAM. It is going to the dealer on Monday so I'll see if they can handle that while it's there.
    Ironically i am have the same issue, Cant get passed 65MPH and 5000 RPM and nothing has changed. boat load is the same and even removed items, has hit 74 with 2 persona and full tourney load, seems like its not getting full throttle 52 hours on the motor now.
    2019 Triton 20 TRX Patriot, Merc 250 4 stroke

10. Member
    Thanks Don
    I did recalibrate the trim reading on my merc monitor and I’m back to what I had last fall for trim readings.
    I’ve looked at all the torques on the motor and jack plate all good there. Jack plate is all squared up. Still seams like I don’t have enough trim. I guess I have more research to do.
    thanks

11. Member
    MR DON can 5 degree wedges be added to a 2020 300 pro xs to get more trim or how about the trim blocks that attach to mid section I had these on a 2012 250 pro xs definitely helped my top end

12. Member
    Ok I just heard back from my dealer, he has five other people having the same issues with a few different brand hulls, he put new trim components in the motor and it didn’t cure the problem, mercury rep is not available to come out right now because of the China viras, mercury is definitely having a problem with this issue and it’s something in the software , hope they get it corrected soon

13. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sblnchrd View Post
    MR DON can 5 degree wedges be added to a 2020 300 pro xs to get more trim or how about the trim blocks that attach to mid section I had these on a 2012 250 pro xs definitely helped my top end
    No. Wedges, spacers, etc. are not permitted on the engine mounting hardware OR the jackplate mounting hardware per Service Bulletins AND Engine Installation Manual.

Sam... Interesting that they have that many people in the same dealership with the same problem. Not seeing any problem up here... and I've reset the limits on a NUMBER of engines for customers to make sure they were set properly.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    No. Wedges, spacers, etc. are not permitted on the engine mounting hardware OR the jackplate mounting hardware per Service Bulletins AND Engine Installation Manual.

Sam... Interesting that they have that many people in the same dealership with the same problem. Not seeing any problem up here... and I've reset the limits on a NUMBER of engines for customers to make sure they were set properly.
    don. I talked to him today it wasn’t the same dealership it was the same rep for the dealership. He said mercury is grounded because of covid but they want video and diagnostic, they are saying it’s the mounts allow the motor to move under a load and it’s making the trim angle different and that is where the lost rpm and speed is coming from. This coming from dealership and rep not from me

15. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Hmmm... interesting.

Please keep in mind that even though several of you feel you have the "same problem"- there should be only ONE (1) engine per thread.

This is extremely important as the OP'ers engine is a 25" (XL) DTS ProXS engine model (significantly different engine shaft length and significantly different 5.44" Gearcase).

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitro88 View Post
    Ironically i am have the same issue, Cant get passed 65MPH and 5000 RPM and nothing has changed. boat load is the same and even removed items, has hit 74 with 2 persona and full tourney load, seems like its not getting full throttle 52 hours on the motor now.
    http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=1073826

17. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Good info- but does not apply to the Original Poster's DTS (Digital Throttle and Shift) setup.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Hmmm... interesting.

Please keep in mind that even though several of you feel you have the "same problem"- there should be only ONE (1) engine per thread.

This is extremely important as the OP'ers engine is a 25" (XL) DTS ProXS engine model (significantly different engine shaft length and significantly different 5.44" Gearcase).
    Appreciate the link!
    2019 Triton 20 TRX Patriot, Merc 250 4 stroke

19. Member
    OP here... no issues with the trim function, performance, rpms, etc. for me. I only needed the motor to tilt higher than what it was originally set at, as the lower unit wasn't coming out of the water enough to my liking. While it was in for an unrelated service, dealer was able to easily adjust the tilt range and raise it for me.

Hopefully you fellas having the other problems are able to get them fixed,