250SS has a reputation for horrible holeshot on bass boats??

Id like to repower my Ranger in the near future and the biggest holdup I have about getting a Suzuki is the Holeshot. From what I can tell, it appears that if you either get the holeshot dialed in but is a complete dog on top OR you get an acceptable number up top but holeshot suffers dramatically. Mercury, Honda and Yamaha don't seem to have a Holeshot issue and still get good top speed so what is wrong with the Suzuki? Lower unit gear ratio? Power curve of the engine? I don't thing the big center consoles see this issue because of the design of the hull. Those of you that have the 250SS what are you experiencing?
    Joe Galada - Tamaqua, PA
    2004 Ranger 521VX - Yamaha 250 SHO

2. Member
    Have a Suzy 200, the SS models have different paint and a different lower unit gear ratio than the standard models which give you the option of using props most other brands use. Doubt they are hole dogs.

3. Member
    The 250SS has a lower gear ratio of 2.00:1 while Mercury/Yamaha is 1.75:1, therefore getting the boat propped correctly is difficult. From my experience, if you are gonna put on a 250SS, get a hydraulic jackplate because this motor likes to be high when shooting out of the hole and then adjusted down as you get on plane. Additionally, it takes a good 20 hours or so for this engine to loosen up. At first when I got this motor and was running a 29P prop, my hole shot horrible when the live wells were full and the engine had only maybe 7 hours on it. Now that I have 80 hours on it, I have no issues getting out of the hole with the same prop on and live wells full.

In regards to speed, I'd recommend going with a Solas Scorpion or HydroTech BRV4 prop vice the current Suzuki props for the 250SS. I have an older 3 bladed 14 3/4 Suzuki prop which is probably my best prop for top end, but they are hard to find today.
    2018 Bass Cat Lynx w/Suzuki 250SS.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by booter View Post
    The 250SS has a lower gear ratio of 2.00:1 while Mercury/Yamaha is 1.75:1, therefore getting the boat propped correctly is difficult. From my experience, if you are gonna put on a 250SS, get a hydraulic jackplate because this motor likes to be high when shooting out of the hole and then adjusted down as you get on plane. Additionally, it takes a good 20 hours or so for this engine to loosen up. At first when I got this motor and was running a 29P prop, my hole shot horrible when the live wells were full and the engine had only maybe 7 hours on it. Now that I have 80 hours on it, I have no issues getting out of the hole with the same prop on and live wells full.

In regards to speed, I'd recommend going with a Solas Scorpion or HydroTech BRV4 prop vice the current Suzuki props for the 250SS. I have an older 3 bladed 14 3/4 Suzuki prop which is probably my best prop for top end, but they are hard to find today.
    I have several of the 16" Suzuki props, one of which I'm running right now. It seems the best on my not SS 200.

5. Randy Walker
    I have a new one on my 06 Skeeter 20i and the hole shot is not bad at all when solo, but do see a little tiny difference with another guy and fully tourney loaded. I don't think it's horrible by any means tho..I do not have a hydraulic JP as of now, but as booter said, might be a great idea and I'm considering one in the future. I only have 10 hours on my motor so want to get my motor height figured out first and then consider propping after that in combination. Then I may get a new JP if I'm not seeing proper RPMs / speed combination. I'm currently running a 4x14.5x29P zuki prop too.

Thanks everyone. I really like the fact that the Suzuki is reliable but dialing in the setup does take time. Andy at TeamMarine has one on a champion and I think he has the setup dialed in. Just waiting for the video on youtube to find out what kind of numbers he got. I think he ended up with a solas scorpion prop.
    Joe Galada - Tamaqua, PA
    2004 Ranger 521VX - Yamaha 250 SHO

7. Member
    BOOTER. you heard an thing on different lower unit gears for 2021? i heard a little chatter something like1.50:0

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by striper joe View Post
    BOOTER. you heard an thing on different lower unit gears for 2021? i heard a little chatter something like1.50:0
    I read somewhere that they were going with a 1.75:1 gear case that is similar to the torque master. But that was a few years ago as well.
    2018 Bass Cat Lynx w/Suzuki 250SS.