Ranger trailer hubs

I'm approaching year 5 on the boat. I've never had any issues with the hubs, they don't leak, everything seems fine. I have not done anything to them. Should I?

I wouldnt touch them

xpress x19, 200ho G2, aluminum sawtooth cut prop, paper sack tackle storage, ugly stik pro team, color c-lector

3. Member
    Wondered the same thing my trailer is almost 5 years old. I noticed the black vault center piece does not stick out 1/8-3/16 like it used to Maybe 1/16. I have not seen any signs of leaks around the hubs.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by alli ss View Post
    I wouldnt touch them
    That's what I'm thinking too. I think they're supposed to be good for 10 years, but I could be wrong about that. Not many things are gauranteed for 10 years lol.

Jack the wheel up. Spin it a couple of times. Is it quiet and smooth? Grab it in the 9 o'clock and 3 o'clock position. Wiggle it back and forth. Does it have any appreciable play? Visually inspect for grease leaks.

Do this three or so times a year depending on use and maybe before a long trip. If it checks out OK, I would not touch it. That's my opinion FWIW.
    ----------------------------
    The bitterness of poor quality is remembered
    long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten - Benjamin Franklin

2013 RANGER RT188 - YAMAHA F115 - ULTREX - LOWRANCE GRAPHS
    LOCK-N-HAUL Transom Saver, ALL ABOARD Emergency Ladder
    1996 RANGER CHEROKEE - 40 YAMAHA

6. Scraps
    Having touched mine to do "maintenance" resulting in actual problems, I wouldn't touch them. My experience was with the Ranger COOL hubs which would have been problem free had I not tried to do maintenance that wasn't necessary.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Panama View Post
    Jack the wheel up. Spin it a couple of times. Is it quiet and smooth? Grab it in the 9 o'clock and 3 o'clock position. Wiggle it back and forth. Does it have any appreciable play? Visually inspect for grease leaks.

Do this three or so times a year depending on use and maybe before a long trip. If it checks out OK, I would not touch it. That's my opinion FWIW.
    I should probably do that.

The inspection panama listed should be part of annual maintanance on all trailers. Catching loose bearings or a leaking seal early will save alot of on the side of the road headaches.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    I was in the same position this spring and my Ranger dealer if they weren’t leaking to leave them alone.
    2018 Ranger RT188 SC Black/115 hp Yamaha SHO 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - north
    2018 Ranger RT188 DC Black/115 hp Merc Pro XS 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - south
    14' Mirrorcraft tin boat (ancient) with a 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke, no electronics; catches fish anyway

10. Member
    I have a 2013 Triton X17. This spring, after having the same question about Vault hubs and how to ensure they are in good working order, I blew a seal.Because the local shops were all at least 2 weeks behind, I decided to fix it myself. I have done my own bearings for years so I was able to do it after a bit of checking on Youtube etc.

The Vault system is no different than the standard Ez lube Dexter axle system. Only the grease and the end cap are different. I redid both of my wheels. But l ended up losing both end caps. Apparently, by removing them, they become misshapen and fall off.

Shortly thereafter I had a totally unrelated breakage of my axle. I ended up replacing the hubs with the standard EZ lube Dexter axle. I didn’t ever feel comfortable with the Vaults because it seemed that all you could do was inspect by wiggling the wheel as stated above, and wait until you had a problem. With the EZ lubes, I will repack it myself every two years and be pretty confident in my wheels. That is what I did for 18 years with my old Tracker and it is what I will now do with my Triton.

Quote Originally Posted by Kosta View Post

The Vault system is no different than the standard Ez lube Dexter axle system. Only the grease and the end cap are different. I redid both of my wheels. But l ended up losing both end caps. Apparently, by removing them, they become misshapen and fall off.
    I had this same experience with my 2014 RT188 trailer. I had loose bearings and ended up removing both end caps to adjust. I followed the instructions carefully except for one thing, I did not put loc-tite on the end caps when I reinstalled them.
    The next day, I had an out of town fishing trip and lost both caps in route. I found a trailer supply house nearby, bought the parts and changed it over to EZ-Lube in the ramp parking lot.
    I take credit for the failure because I did not follow the instructions, but doubt if I would Ever open up another Vault system.
    Last edited by Bill Reynolds; 07-27-2020 at 08:52 AM.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

12. Member
    I wouldn't touch them
    2020 Ranger Z519 | 2020 Mercury Pro XS 225 4S | Helix 10SI | Helix 10 MDI G3N | Helix 10 MDI G3N | Noco GENIUS 10X4
    Fury 3 22P True Pitched | Power Pole Pro 2's | Ghost TM | Mega 360 | MEGA LIVE | Atlas 8in Jack Plate | Trick Step | 3X Amped 80ah Lithiums

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Reynolds View Post
    I had this same experience with my 2014 RT188 trailer. I had loose bearings and ended up removing both end caps to adjust. I followed the instructions carefully except for one thing, I did not put loc-tite on the end caps when I reinstalled them.
    The next day, I had an out of town fishing trip and lost both caps in route. I found a trailer supply house nearby, bought the parts and changed it over to EZ-Lube in the ramp parking lot.
    I take credit for the failure because I did not follow the instructions, but doubt if I would Ever open up another Vault system.
    Bill,

I used loc-tote. It didn’t matter. The guys at a trailer place that does Vault told this is common. They said that they put the caps on a 2” trailer ball and hammer them lightly to make them expand a bit so that they will fit.