Ranger Trailer - 1992 - boat weight on center bunks only

Last year I had my trailer bunks re-carpeted on my 1992 451 trailer. I noticed the other day the outside bunks were sort of flopping and looked loose when the boat was launched. Checked today and both outside bunks are loose under the boat - I can move them - and they sit about 1/2 inch below the bottom of the boat. All the weight of the boat is being carried by the two long center bunks. Now I never checked before but is this normal??? there are two bolts for each set of bunk mounts and several bolt holes that would suggest adjustment is possible. Work was done by a Ranger Dealer now closed. Can I live with this setup or does this need to be addressed?? Any thoughts or suggestions appreciated.

2. Member
    If they are loose, they need to be tightened. The bottom two bunks are larger than the two top ones as they are designed to guide the boat to the front roller and support most of the weight. As an amateur, I would say take them snug to the hull and tighten them. They could assist the rear tie downs in keeping the boat centered. Loose is not good.

3. mikesxpress
    Been down this road. Ranger designed there trailers (until recently *past 3 years) to carry the weight of the boat on the two long center bunks. Explanation I got from the factory was it facilitates loading. Humm?

When I installed my Gatorbak bunk covers in 2015 it really showed the disparity on the outside bunks. I had an almost 3/8" gap between the bunk surfaces and the hull. I wanted even weight bearing support across all bunks as that makes the most mechanical sense. I added aluminum blocks between the bunk bracket and board to achieve even pressure. I flood my trailer and don't power load unless absolutely necessary. With this mod the boat centers on every load up and my hull is fully supported.

Quote Originally Posted by mikesxpress View Post
    Been down this road. Ranger designed there trailers (until recently *past 3 years) to carry the weight of the boat on the two long center bunks. Explanation I got from the factory was it facilitates loading. Humm?

When I installed my Gatorbak bunk covers in 2015 it really showed the disparity on the outside bunks. I had an almost 3/8" gap between the bunk surfaces and the hull. I wanted even weight bearing support across all bunks as that makes the most mechanical sense. I added aluminum blocks between the bunk bracket and board to achieve even pressure. I flood my trailer and don't power load unless absolutely necessary. With this mod the boat centers on every load up and my hull is fully supported.
    I was told the exact same thing when I called about my boat a number of years ago. If it makes you fell better, you can raise the outer bunks slightly so they touch the hull. But, don't raise them so much that it takes a lot of weight off of the two center bunks.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

thanks mike and jeff

6. mikesxpress
    Donald all the late model Rangertrail's have all 4 bunks evenly supporting the hull weight. This even distribution keeps the boat level on the trailer, applies the weight across the entire trailer frame, and eliminates "chatter" from loose bunks that can mark the hull where it vibrates.

Most folks don't if there bunks are in a non-weight bearing mounting situation as carpet fluff hides this.

Ranger agrees with Mike and Jeff

Spoke with a very competent Ranger Dealer today. MIKE AND JEFF - your information was right on target. Trailer supports boat on center bunks only. Now I can take steps to quiet down the rattling but the boat is safe to tow.

8. Member
    Take a look at how boat yards Store large boats for winter on 4 little jack stands with a tiny block of wood on top of each stand.....it will make you feel good about 2 trailer bunks supporting your hull

9. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    Most of the weight is supported by the inner bunks on my 1990 Ranger I have the outside bunks raised to the hull but not really carrying any weight on them hope this helps.
    1990 374V Ranger Still kickin' bass after all these years