Question Looking for Tin Rig advice

I'm wanting to get into a shallow running tunnel hull tin rig. Due to our bass tournament regs, It must be a propped motor, have a steering wheel, etc.. I have already had conversations with Mike Watson about building 1 but I'm wanting some of ya'lls advice and/or 1st hand experience. I will mainly use this on a river system that is more stumpy than rocky(still some areas of rock). The goal is super lightweight to get in the skinniest of water yet still stable enough to fish 2 guys with small tournament load. A true tin rig is the goal with no more than a 60hp prop motor to keep weight at a minimum. Must be over 16ft but prefer around 17ft. If I can get by with a little longer without adding to much weight and reducing maneuverability, thats great! Also not to wide as some areas get kind tight getting in. I like the setup of a blazer tin rig but I'm curious what other options are out there that you guys like.
    -What boat brand with tunnel hull for prop do you prefer?
    -How shallow can you float your rig and then also run on
    pad?
    -Did you have the bottom reinforced by using a thicker
    gauge?
    -How well do they(the hull) hold up if you're hitting stumps/rocks occasionally(Not constantly)
    that are under the surface?
    -can you post pics of yours with setup details?
    -should it be a true flatbottom hull or modified v?(is either superior in skinny waters)
    -how wide/stable is yours side to side? Trying to keep it as skinny as possible yet still remaining somewhat stable.
    -im sure I've missed a ton of other valuable questions, so please let me know what else I may need to be thinking about.

I'm aware that I can't build what I want for a few thousand bucks. I'm wanting a real deal skinny water boat thats capable of handling most of todays tournament equip. necessities. I run my champ on big water so this will only be used when going skinny and I won't make more than a 15mi run.
    Thanks for any advice and leads to boat brand/builders.
    2008 CHAMPION 200 ELITE
    2008 225 MERCURY PRO XS

Have you checked out Havoc Boat's I've been wanting to build a shallow runner as well and been hunting around for a year now lol. Just did purchase a Triton 1760sc I'd love to have a tunnel hull built in later. For now I'm going to keep it light as possible and add a jackplate. Check out the Havoc River Rat very impressive.
    22 Triton TRX20 22 Pro XS 250
    16 Triton 1760sc 16 Merc 75hp

3. Member
    I'll check em out bud! Appreciate the info!
    2008 CHAMPION 200 ELITE
    2008 225 MERCURY PRO XS

I would want to go with a 1756. I run a Tracker Pro17 with a 60/40 jet drive. My boat is 17' long with a 50" bottom. My boat is a little tippy a 56" bottom would be nice. For the bottom you could get away with a slight V, something less than 9*. You will need a tunnel to be able to run a prop in shallow water. I would also want at least a .100 thickness for the bottom. I have hit many rocks with my Tracker. Sometimes I put a hole in it most of the time it doesn't. Again I have a jet drive though and run through less than 6" of water.
    Brad Whitaker
    whittyoutdoors.com --- Use code BBC5 at checkout for 5% off
    Whitty Outdoors handmade crankbaits

08 Stratos 201XL 250 HO E-tec
    05 Weld-Craft 1852 semi-v 115/80 Mercury jetdrive

Id call a company called alumaryder, http://alumaryderboats.com/ . They could build you an 18' boat, tunnel, heavy gauge aluminum bottom (up to 1/4") UHMV if you want and it would be a stup jumping shallow runner for sure.
    Joe Galada - Tamaqua, PA
    2004 Ranger 521VX - Yamaha 250 SHO

6. Member
    Now that's a boat, more like a tank! Seen a guy on the St Lawerence whom runs something similar to this.

Quote Originally Posted by MetsFan9 View Post
    Now that's a boat, more like a tank! Seen a guy on the St Lawerence whom runs something similar to this.
    Rockproof Boats is another one but they build just inboard jets. There are a few in the PA, VA area that build some wild custom jets. The Rockproof boat with a 250hp Rotax will run in the mid 50s GPS. That's impressive.
    Joe Galada - Tamaqua, PA

8. Member
    Guys, thanks for the info! Much appreciated!
    2008 CHAMPION 200 ELITE
    2008 225 MERCURY PRO XS

9. Member
    There is a guy who lives in Illinois named Nate Eckhold he and I are both members of the Tiny Boat Nation builders group, he is like the #2 guy to the founder and he just recently quit his full career as a shop Forman to build custom rigs full time. His company name for his building business is NCB & accessories. This guy is one of the most talented custom boat fabricators I’ve ever seen and does amazing work. He doesn’t sell boats, you find the hull you want and then he will custom build the entire system you want to fit your needs. Maybe check him out since you are close to where he’s at if you want to go the custom route. On FB it’s just Nate Eckhold and his Instagram is nathanielckhold if you want to check out some of the custom rigs he has fabricated for customers. Super fast work and probably one of the nicest guys I’ve ever talked with.

10. Member
    Thanks Rogers, I'll get in touch with him. Is he familiar with building tunnel hulls for prop motors?
    2008 CHAMPION 200 ELITE
    2008 225 MERCURY PRO XS

Quote Originally Posted by newlookhomes1 View Post
    Thanks Rogers, I'll get in touch with him. Is he familiar with building tunnel hulls for prop motors?
    I think they just modify the interior layout of the hull. Those guys are not into building or changing the actual hull of the boat, too much liability involved. I would look into one of the custom builders or a prebuilt tunnel hull, G3, etc and have K5 sprayed on the bottom to protect the hull from the stumps.
    Joe Galada - Tamaqua, PA