Steez A vs 2020 Metanium MGL

All,

I'm looking for a frog/pitching/punching reel. I have my sights on the Steez A TW 8.1:1. My other consideration is the 2020 Metanium MGL 8.1:1. My question is how much better is the new Metanium compared to the Steez A? How's the palming on the 2020 Met? I love my Steez A for palming as it's near perfect for me. Let me know your thoughts. Will be paired up with a Megabass Wild Bunch Carbon Head.

Thanks.

2. Banned
    I would get the Steez if you are gonna use it for heavy applications. The Shimano gears dont hold up worth a crap....

3. Member
    LgMouthGambler, I thought the new 2020 Met MGL has brass gears now?

4. Member
    That is a tough one. The Steez frame is one of if not the most comfortable I have ever fished. The Steez A is a tank and has held up very well to abuse. I have owned them since they were introduced and have had zero issues. Having said that, the New Metanium is a tank, and yes has brass gearing. Smooth and powerful and also offers a larger handle in the 8 gear. It is built to last. The Metanium is a smaller frame than the Steez A. It is very small.

I cant say one is better than the other and both have a place in my lineup. I give the comfort/palming to the Steez A and the Solid feel, longevity and durability for what you will be doing with it to the Metanium. You can’t go wrong with either.

5. Member
    I prefer the Metanium for performance and palming, but I have only had mine a month so I can't speak for the longevity. I like my Steez A, but it doesn't really feel too much different from the Tatula Elite, to me. Definitely not hundreds of dollars better. I think I paid $285-$290 for my Metaniums from Japan. At that price, it's pretty much a no brainer to me.

6. Member
    Thanks all. I appreciate the input.

7. Banned
    Toss up all depending on which brand you prefer both amazing powerhouse reels youd be happy with either the new met almost has a more daiwa feel vs older mets

I'd go with the Daiwa. Steez A , is running about $380 on Digitaka.

9. Member
    Long time Shimano guy here. Tried the tatula tw sv and loved it so much bought a Catalina and a steez a. Will be buying another steez a shortly. I still have some Shimano but they are fast dwindling down. Much smoother and casts a lot further imo.
    Respectfully,
    Captain Rab
    V1CO 1:27 But God has chosen the foolish things of the
    world to put to shame the wise; and God has
    chosen the weak things of the world to put to
    shame the things which are mighty