Dobyns Xtasy power ratings

Question for the Dobyns fan base. Is there a huge jump in power between 4 and 5 Xtasy casting? Currently purchased the 754, love it just wish for 1/2 power more backbone mid blank for ripping finesse jigs in 30fow deep grass. Braid helps but not a fan in the ginger clear water I fish. Just curious if there's a huge jump in the 5 power wouldn't 't want flipping stick. Thanks.

2. Member
    I have the 745 and 755. There is not a huge jump between these two models. The 745 is great with 3/8-1/2 baits and the 755 is great for heavier baits. With that said, I sometimes fish a 1/2 jig on the 755 and is works just fine. To me, the 745 is more like a 3.5 power and the 755 a 4.5. I have the 755 paired with a Bantam MGL and I really like it.

3. Member
    Yeah, the extra power would come in handy. Though only a 7/16oz finesse jig it's still asking a lot of this rod in deep grass 30fow+. Might give the 725c a try maybe slightly faster action being shorter than the 755. I will say the 754 loads deep into the blank I don't think I've lost a smallmouth yet next to the boat. Vertical jigging the rod excels and can only imagine come spring it will make a great wobble head jig rod. Thanks

curious on this too....have a 754 and it struggles with a 1/2 oz jig rod especially when trying to clear the hook in grass. Might get the 725 or 755 soon.

5. Member
    I have the X 755 and use it for primarily 1/2oz Outkast stealth feider jigs, so a compact jig usually with a twin tail grub as the trailer so not adding a ton of weight. The rod is perfect for it in my opinion and I fish a lot of 20-25ft really thick coontail up here in MN. Has a good bend when hooked up. I do not have the 754 but have a 734 champ and couldnt imagine using that rod for doing the same thing. I also have the DX 745 which is actually a tad bit stiffer compared to the Xtasy 755, seems like the 755 is right between the 734 and 745 I have.

6. Member
    Off topic just little. Anyone receive a Xtasy casting with new split grip? Just curious how they look. Emailed Dobyns for a pic but no response as of yet.

7. Member
    For those that want to know just received my warranty MB FMJ and Daemos rods. Compared to the 5 power Daemos the tips are the same but the Xtasy 754 noticeably less power mid blank. I'm going to try a deep crank with mine since it likes to load so deep into the blank.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phippy View Post
    For those that want to know just received my warranty MB FMJ and Daemos rods. Compared to the 5 power Daemos the tips are the same but the Xtasy 754 noticeably less power mid blank. I'm going to try a deep crank with mine since it likes to load so deep into the blank.
    IMO, the last thing you'd want to do with any xtasy is crank with one, way too fast of an action, IMO.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by slipknobber bot View Post
    IMO, the last thing you'd want to do with any xtasy is crank with one, way too fast of an action, IMO.
    Normally I would agree but after several outings with my 754 this blanks loads deep. Probably will make it my dedicated open water paddle tail rod for now. I can see it excelling 3/8oz head with 3.8-4.3 Fat Keitech.

10. Member
    I'm aware, I owned a 754 and 724 but ended up selling them both. I love dobyns, but don't care for the xtasy. I wanted to love it, but much prefer steez ags, legend extreme, nfc x-ray and nrx rods for high end offerings. Like you, I found things I thought they were OK at, but could also find rods around $200 that performed just as well, had great balance and sensitivity.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by slipknobber bot View Post
    I'm aware, I owned a 754 and 724 but ended up selling them both. I love dobyns, but don't care for the xtasy. I wanted to love it, but much prefer steez ags, legend extreme, nfc x-ray and nrx rods for high end offerings. Like you, I found things I thought they were OK at, but could also find rods around $200 that performed just as well, had great balance and sensitivity.
    Would love to know what $200 rod performs like the extreme HP . I have the 704 c and rave on it. I'm trying to find two more just like it. I will agree that the St croix legend extreme , and the NRX might be slightly better but the price reflects that.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    Would love to know what $200 rod performs like the extreme HP . I have the 704 c and rave on it. I'm trying to find two more just like it. I will agree that the St croix legend extreme , and the NRX might be slightly better but the price reflects that.
    Alx zolo? Just a guess I've never handled the xtasy but have nrx, glx, z bone, new adrenas and mb xx rods

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    My wording wasn't perfect here. What I was trying to say was the only thing I liked doing with my xtasy rods, were throwing swim jigs, swim worms, and flukes. Didn't care for anything else on them. For those techniques, I don't need a $500 rod that sensitive, a $200 rod would work just as well and still be plenty sensitive for those techniques. I've never handled a 704 so can't comment on that, but for rods around $200, daiwa kage/tatula/tatula elite are very nice, and powell endurance are crazy light and surprisingly sensitive.