Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Minnesota to Virginia College bound

In about a month my son will be moving from home (Minnesota) to Virgina for College. He will be playing hockey which starts as soon as he arrives in August so won't have a lot of time but Loves to fish. Just thought I would check in to see what options he might have in the Lynchburg area?

When I say he likes to fish, I am talking about daily up here either in the kayak, wading or taking my Ranger. Before and after work many days and many weekends we are Mille lacs, Minnetonka or any one of our 10,000 lakes up here.

Thanks in advance for any info.

2. Member
    Smith Mountain Lake is nearby and is the best of the local large lakes. Buggs Island is good as well, but is 2 hours away. The James River goes through Lynchburg and is a very good smallmouth river (not for bass boats, use canoes and kayaks).

There ya have it, I'd say exactly the same thing.

Who is your son playing hockey for?
    Allen
    911 Bass Anglers
    Bucks County PA

I'm guessing he's going to Liberty University or Lynchburg University, both good schools. He'll find plenty of places to wet a line around the area.

There are two 10HP max lakes about 60 miles from Lynchburg. See a lot of kayakers on those. This is one of them at 845 acres:

The other one is 740 acres
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

7. Member
    Briery creek lake and Sandy river reservoir are both good lakes nearby. Smith Mountain is huge and can be great although I struggle there. Leesville is a great lake but its used for flood control so the water can be high or low depending, Hope your son enjoys his time in Va and I assume yall are Vikings fans so welcome!

8. Member
    Wormdunker, Tried to PM you but your message capacity is maxed out. Send me a PM....I have some questions before I provide my thoughts.
    Lightning 6
    2007 TR-196DC

9. Member
    What everyone said else said. He will ready to get back to Mille lacs though after he fished here ����*♂️ SML is a great place once you figure it out but still not Mille lacs
    2013 Ranger Z521 250E-Tech H.O.
    hawghuntersbassclub.org

10. Member
    Yes, there is a lot he can do around there from a kayak or small jon boat. The Mountain Man will be able to give some guidance as well.

If I lived in Lynchburg, I'd sell my bass boat and buy a jet. With the musky and smallmouth in the James River, I wouldn't fish anywhere else.
    Wishing I was Fishing

If he can bring his kayak there are plenty of good places to catch a variety of fish. PM me when he gets here. I’ll take him to a spot or two.

"I'm just looking for a bite"

Smith Mountain is about 40 min from Lynchburg and will be his closest option for big water. It’s been putting out some big time stringers in the spring. James river and Briery Creek would be perfect for kayaks
    2022 Skeeter ZXR20
    Yamaha 250 SHO

14. Member
    Hey thanks for all the info! Haven’t checked back for a bit so just seeing this for the first time. Yeah, he is transferring to Liberty, he will be on the D1 team. Not sure we can get the kayak down there but I could get him a cheap one locally. I think he will have a place to store it. The river sounds like the ticket. I don’t want to give him too much it may interfere with his studies.

He and his best friend will be living together an playing hockey, they also have a deck staining business here in Minnesota. They are also hoping to stain down there as well.

i think he has a conn mention to a guide on Smith Mountain, I think his coach is a guide. Maybe we can get him a couple trips or something.

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    Lots of options but much of the fishing will be quite different from MN. But a bass is a bass.

16. Member
    the James River is great down in that area and there are a ton of lakes with an hour or 2 drive of there.....

17. Member
    I recommend the James in that area as well, and maybe the New River for smallmouth if he wants to drive a bit. He will miss the fishing in MN...

Quote Originally Posted by Vtbuck View Post
    I recommend the James in that area as well, and maybe the New River for smallmouth if he wants to drive a bit. He will miss the fishing in MN...
    I don't think he'll miss it all that much since he'll be able to fish all 12 months of the year.
    2022 Skeeter ZXR20
    Yamaha 250 SHO

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Meadows View Post
    I don't think he'll miss it all that much since he'll be able to fish all 12 months of the year.
    Funny Guy!.....This is kinda like picking on the fat kid, easy target. HA! Thanks for reminding me our world freezes in about 4 short months.

Thankfully we might catch more fish in our 7 months of open water fishing than an entire year in many areas south of here. For example, today we went fun fishing. Best 6 were about 26lbs. On top of that we boated AT LEAST 50 3-3.5lbers. Not sure how many just shy of 3. On Friday I was on Mille Lacs....... got several that were 21" all nearing 6lbs and A lot between 3-5lbs
    My off season is spent getting my shoulder fixed.... Right now I cant pick up my arm and my ribs are bruised. Great feeling!

This is all great info about the Lynchburg area, I really appreciate it. I will be down there around 8/18 so we will take look around, may sneak down to smith mountain for a guided trip.

Quote Originally Posted by Wormdunker View Post
    Funny Guy!.....This is kinda like picking on the fat kid, easy target. HA! Thanks for reminding me our world freezes in about 4 short months.

Thankfully we might catch more fish in our 7 months of open water fishing than an entire year in many areas south of here. For example, today we went fun fishing. Best 6 were about 26lbs. On top of that we boated AT LEAST 50 3-3.5lbers. Not sure how many just shy of 3. On Friday I was on Mille Lacs....... got several that were 21" all nearing 6lbs and A lot between 3-5lbs
    My off season is spent getting my shoulder fixed.... Right now I cant pick up my arm and my ribs are bruised. Great feeling!

This is all great info about the Lynchburg area, I really appreciate it. I will be down there around 8/18 so we will take look around, may sneak down to smith mountain for a guided trip.
    Don't expect a whole lot out of SML in August, or anywhere else for that matter. This is literally the worst part of the year to be fishing in VA. Hope you get that arm and ribs healed up!
    2022 Skeeter ZXR20
    Yamaha 250 SHO

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast