Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    If you a going to pay for a guide, you might want to focus on a striper outing. I am assuming you don't have any in Minnesota.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by motobuffy View Post
    If you a going to pay for a guide, you might want to focus on a striper outing. I am assuming you don't have any in Minnesota.
    Correct we don't. I was thinking about a guided striper trip.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wormdunker View Post
    Correct we don't. I was thinking about a guided striper trip.
    I would check with the Shad Taxi to see if they have any openings

4. Member
    From your fishing report your son may be rather disappointed in Lynchburg. He can have a lot of fun with a kayak on the James and there's two access points within 15 to 20 minutes of LU for an easy afternoon float trip or some wade fishing. The numbers you describe are common but he might be disappointed by the size. I think that the river is a lot more fun in the mountains about an hour away though. Learn to catch helgrammites and have a blast. As others mentioned Briery and Sandy river towards Farmville are great for a kayak. Nobody mentioned the Stanton river about an hour away which has spring runs of striper and walleye.

5. Member
    Well 2 weeks in he is figuring some things out. Today he took a roommate out, kid caught a fish well over 6lbs on a frog. They are finding small ponds they hike to that hold fish. Also get a few smallies one day from the James. Thanks for all the help. I never did get on a guide boat, after an 18 hour drive I wa more than ready to get back home.

6. Member
    OK so volume of fish is not what he is used to, as you all reported. But Saturday night he got a 24" 8.02 out of a small lake near him. Whopper Plopper. Not many fish but some big ones.
    Beat his best up here by 2 lbs. He is pretty jacked, hope he continues to go to class! Ha!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12