Tin hull cleaner

Had the boat docked for three weeks at the lake. Scum line needs cleaning. What's best product to use for washing scum line off?

Many thanks for suggestions.

2017 Triton 18TX

2. Member
    I use Mr. Clean to wash, followed by F11. Been using F11 for a couple of years and the last trip I took to Lay Lake, the boat stayed in the water for 3 days. There was a small, easily removed line. I've tried a bunch of different cleaners/waxes, but nothing has held a candle to F11. I also use it on the seats and glass consoles. Mahvelous.
    2015 Ranger RT188 DC; BassCat Storage Box; Mercury Optimax 115ProXS;
    19" Spitfire X7; Vessel View Mobile; Minn Kota Ultrex 80; GForce Handle;
    TM Eliminator; Helix 7 G2N SI Combo F/R; HydroWave KVD; BBT 4" Angled Bow Mount; Durasafe Locks for Electronics and Ultrex;
    Twist Step Boarding Ladder; EZEE Step ES1; BAC RAC Rod Storage; Motor Mate Transom Saver

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    Quote Originally Posted by basspab View Post
    Had the boat docked for three weeks at the lake. Scum line needs cleaning. What's best product to use for washing scum line off?

Many thanks for suggestions.
    Of your hull is painted, any automotive car wash should work well.
    2018 Ranger RT188 SC Black/115 hp Yamaha SHO 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - north
    2018 Ranger RT188 DC Black/115 hp Merc Pro XS 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - south
    14' Mirrorcraft tin boat (ancient) with a 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke, no electronics; catches fish anyway

4. Member
    This spring I got one of the worst scum line on my boat after fishing a river that was muddy and had a heavy layer of pollen and scum. It took two washing with the second one using dawn a degreaser to get the hull clean. After the second washing I went over it with Maguires boat wax. The next time out on the water as soon as I put the boat on the trailer I used a spray bottle of 50/50 vinegar and water with a wash cloth. The scum line came off with no problem. I have done this every trip and the hull looks like I just finished washing it.
    2007 Bass Cat Pantera IV
    2018 G3 Sportsman 1710

5. Member
    For non painted aluminum surfaces there is only one product - Shark Hide.

6. Member
    I usually leave my boat in the water for about 5 months of the year. When I pull it, I use vinegar/water to clean the scum line right off.

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    Quote Originally Posted by HOOK N EM View Post
    For non painted aluminum surfaces there is only one product - Shark Hide.
    There is also a product called Alumatron that works well. I’m onto year 6 for my treatment.
    2018 Ranger RT188 SC Black/115 hp Yamaha SHO 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - north
    2018 Ranger RT188 DC Black/115 hp Merc Pro XS 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - south
    14' Mirrorcraft tin boat (ancient) with a 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke, no electronics; catches fish anyway

8. Member
    Nothing I've found beats Purple Power Aluminum Brightener on bare aluminum. Painted, pick your poison from above.

9. Member
    I agree with the purple power aluminum brightener. That stuff is amazing, make sure you are in a well ventilated area... stuff is very strong...