Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lund Renegade Owners/Users

Looking at purchasing a Renegade (1875), have found a few currently on a dealer floor within 150 miles but none local. Not impressed with the local Lund dealer - doesn't seem real motivated to answer questions and provided what I consider a go away quote on bringing one in, to the tune of $4K more than I've got prices from anywhere else (similarly equipped).

My questions are multiple, predicated on boat being equipped with a 115 horse outboard (Merc ProXS):

1. I know they are equipped with the No Feedback cable steering, I'm not seeing a hydraulic option anywhere on the Lund site. Local dealer didn't know, didn't care. Does Lund offer hydraulic as a factory option? If not, and you have hydraulic, what system did you go with (Baystar, Seastar, Ulink)? Do you feel it was worth the $$?

2. Those that went No Feedback - do you wish it had hydraulic?

3. What did you go with for a trolling motor? Do you feel over/under powered? I'm leaning towards an 80lb Fortrex at the moment.

4. Any options you consider a must have that you did or did not spring for? Justification?

5. Whats the biggest disappointment you have with the boat? What is the thing you feel puts it above boats in the same class?

All other comments and experience welcome. Thanks in advance.

2. Member
    From owners ive talked to the only common complaint I hear is the hatches leak pretty bad. Maybe that has changed on the 2021 but the 2020 you can clearly see no lips around the compartments

3. Member
    I thought hard about one before ordering my Xpress. I can’t answer your questions unfortunately but I chose the Xpress because of rivets.

4. Member
    Although I went with a different brand, I spent considerable time looking at and climbing around a Renegade 1875 as it was on my short list when I made my recent new boat purchase. Here are my opinions only, regarding your questions;

2) I do not have hydraulic steering on my 18 1/2 tin with a 115 hp motor. Although steering is not difficult, I wish that I did have it. If it is an option on a factory order I would probably opt for it if not overpriced.

3) 80 lbs. is most adequate for this size boat. I also opted for a Fortrex. It is a well built, tough motor. I am now upgrading to an Ultrex and wish that I would have went that route at the beginning as I would have saved additional money by not having to upgrade in such a short time. The spot lock and heading features are hard to beat.

5) What puts it above others in it's class is simply the fact that it is a Lund. They are known for their quality. (For those that wish to dispute, I know there are many other good brands as well and yes, people have had problems with Lunds as well.) In addition, the decks were absolutely huge on this boat.

As stated previously, one drawback is the storage compartments that have no type of lip whatsoever around them. I can see these compartments not staying dry at all inside. This is a problem with many tin boats, but I think it would be especially so on this model.

5. Member
    RevoSEMIpro: Hydraulic steering is not listed as an option on 1875 Renegade. However...it isn't listed as an option on the 20 Alaskan Sport either, . yet mine has it.
    That may have been an exception...or it may be a change in pfferings since I got my boat a couple of years ago. I suggest your dealer might give his sales representative a call and see if it can be done.and if so... at what price?
    Last edited by T-Mac; 07-23-2020 at 10:41 AM.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by madmurph View Post
    Although I went with a different brand, I spent considerable time looking at and climbing around a Renegade 1875 as it was on my short list when I made my recent new boat purchase. Here are my opinions only, regarding your questions;

2) I do not have hydraulic steering on my 18 1/2 tin with a 115 hp motor. Although steering is not difficult, I wish that I did have it. If it is an option on a factory order I would probably opt for it if not overpriced.

3) 80 lbs. is most adequate for this size boat. I also opted for a Fortrex. It is a well built, tough motor. I am now upgrading to an Ultrex and wish that I would have went that route at the beginning as I would have saved additional money by not having to upgrade in such a short time. The spot lock and heading features are hard to beat.

5) What puts it above others in it's class is simply the fact that it is a Lund. They are known for their quality. (For those that wish to dispute, I know there are many other good brands as well and yes, people have had problems with Lunds as well.) In addition, the decks were absolutely huge on this boat.

As stated previously, one drawback is the storage compartments that have no type of lip whatsoever around them. I can see these compartments not staying dry at all inside. This is a problem with many tin boats, but I think it would be especially so on this model.
    Thanks for the feedback.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Mac View Post
    RevoSEMIpro: Hydraulic steering is not listed as an option on 1875 Renegade. However...it isn't listed as an option on the 20 Alaskan Sporteither, . yet mine has it.
    That may have been an exception...or it may be a changer since I got my boat a couple of years ago. I suggest your dealer might give his sales representative a call and see if it can be done.and if so... at what price?
    Thanks, I'll have to call up one of the out of town dealers and get the definitive answer. Local dealer has proven to be worthless. I know they'll put in a system after the fact, just curious about it coming from the factory. Hard to believe they wouldn't when everyone else putting out comparable models is.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cbump View Post
    I thought hard about one before ordering my Xpress. I can’t answer your questions unfortunately but I chose the Xpress because of rivets.
    Diff'rent strokes I guess, I'm leaning Lund BECAUSE of rivets, lol.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RevoSEMIpro View Post
    Diff'rent strokes I guess, I'm leaning Lund BECAUSE of rivets, lol.
    +2. Too many welded hull failures from all brands. A rivited hull has some amount of flex, whereas a welded hull doesn’t. I guess if you baby the hull in chop or rough lake conditions it would certainly help prevent stress failures.

10. Member
    When I started looking for a boat I had the Renagade at the top of my list but when I put hands on one it was a different story. The quality that was supposed to be there was not even close to the other brands. The only reason to buy that boat is for the rivets.
    Polar Kraft TX195/Suzuki 200/52" Ultrex MDI

11. Member
    The NFB steering is more than adequate on this class of boat. If you can get it from the factory with hydraulic steering go for it but I would not pay a huge premium to get it.

12. Member
    my biggest disappointment..... just a little rain EVERYTHING IS WET!!!!!! there is no dry storage
    2019 Lund Renegade 1875
    Mercury ProXs 115hp FourStroke
    Spitfire s/s x7 19p
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80lb 24v
    Atlas Hydraulic Jp 4" setback
    Lowrance HDS Carbon 9 Dash & Bow

13. Member
    Well thanks for the input everyone.... I put a deposit down on a new 2018 holdover this week. Should be ready to pick up next weekend. Will report back.

*Side note: listed my current fishing boat Thursday afternoon for what I thought on the extreme high end of market price in this locale. New owner is picking it up tomorrow morning for the asking price, no haggling with 2 others in line if he dips out. Sellers market I guess.

14. Member
    Definitely a sellers market. Surprised there was a new boat in stock anywhere for you to pick up.

15. Member
    What dealer did you find the new boat at?

16. Member
    On a Lund if its not standard or offered as an option,
    you cannot get it from the factory. Been there. LDS
    Larry D. Scott Retired KY Water patrol/F&W
    www.greatscottshooters.com

2008 TRACKER TV 18 w/150 Mercury 4S
    MK Ultrex 80lb, 102 Garmin Live scope
    and a UHD93SV Garmin on the bow.
    UHD 93SV at the console.

17. Member
    I have run bass boats since 1998 and just switched to the Lund Adventure 1775 with a 90hp fourstroke Mercury. I new the switch would be different and there would be some things I needed to resolve or get used too. Wet storage. I bought giant zip locks for raingear, safety gear etc. Tackle. I went back to a small bag for smallies and a large tackle bag for largemouth. I outfitted it myself with a 80 terrova with ipilot, I think spot lock solves some of the aluminum boat issues...awesome. Rod storage states 7'5" center tubes, I removed the entire system in 5 minutes and cut off the solid tubes gaining 3.5" and used rod socks, now flippin sticks and frog stick fits. I love being in an aluminum, I never thought I would say that but in a bass boat I always felt a need to perform. I am just having fun again.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by madmurph View Post
    What dealer did you find the new boat at?
    The one I purchased was at Ray's Marine in Minnesota. I was also able to find 2019s at M&J Marine and Ed's Boat Sales in WI. Other than those three I wasn't able to find anyone that had one in stock within a 5 hour drive.

Picked mine up yesterday, maiden voyage this evening after work.

19. Member
    Congratulations. I'm sure you will enjoy the boat.

20. Member
    Should contacted you thinking about listing my 1875 Renegade that’s loaded
    2019 Lund Renegade 1875
    Mercury ProXs 115hp FourStroke
    Spitfire s/s x7 19p
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80lb 24v
    Atlas Hydraulic Jp 4" setback
    Lowrance HDS Carbon 9 Dash & Bow

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast