Mercury Flo Torq SSR HD has Wobble on Tempest plus.

All of the props that I’ve used in the past have a pressed in rubber hub. No problems. I’ve been having some trouble with the flo-torq hubs. I recently purchased a Tempest 24P which requires the flow torque hub. The first hub I tried was the basic one with the plastic drive sleeve. It had a very noticeable bang when I shifted into either forward or reverse. It also has a wobble where the plastic doesn’t quite get tight with the inner hub of the prop. The guy at my local Marine recommended the solid version which has a rubber driver. The hard shifting issue is definitely fixed, but this hub seems to have even more wobble than the other. The rubber part fits tightly at front of the hub, but the steel part closer the the prop nut has play. This causes a noticeable knocking at under 2000 rpm, or when slowing down and at all points during reverse. One boat mechanic told me this is normal and it was designed this way, but that can’t be right can it? It seems like overtime is going to do damage. Any help is appreciated.

I would check or have checked the output shaft runout to make sure it isn't bent.

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"
    Own the Champ! Life Long Petty Fan!

2003 ChampioN 2006 250 Merc. XB, Prop By Mark C.
    2002 Ranger Okeechobee Special EvinRude Ficht 90 / 9.9 4-Stroke GLAD to have a Get me to the Dock motor maybe!

3. Member
    You could try a Solas RBX-123 Hub I like it better than the Merc hub.
    04 521VX 250 Pro XS
    14 521C 250 Pro XS

4. Member
    It’s not the shaft. It only has a slight bend at 2/1000 of an inch over a full rotation. None of my other props have this problem, I can grab the blades of the prop and move the prop around the flo torq hub. I used a torque wrench to tighten it to 55 pounds, I just don’t know what’s wrong with this thing.

If its not the shaft then its in the hub kit or prop. I installed a Solas this spring so far so good but did have any issue with the Mec hub. If it will move when you gab it something is sprung not assembled right.

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"

2002 Ranger Okeechobee Special EvinRude Ficht 90 / 9.9 4-Stroke GLAD to have a Get me to the Dock motor maybe!

6. Member
    Which hub kit number did you install 8M0101601 or 8M0101602 both will fit but one is for a larger shaft which you don't have. Did you happen to leave a thrust washer on the shaft that's not needed?

Did you fix it?

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"

Sometimes the barrel can be a little out of round. You can try taking the hub insert out, turn it 90* or 180* and re assemble to see if this helps.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by 21XDC View Post
    Sometimes the barrel can be a little out of round. You can try taking the hub insert out, turn it 90* or 180* and re assemble to see if this helps.
    Interesting! Never considered that. Guess I'm going to start checking my props run out with a dial indicator from here out! Thanks!

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"

10. Member
    If he had the SSR HD hub it was the wrong one for a 1" shaft. They make a plane SSR hub for 1" shafts.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mdtritn21 View Post
    If he had the SSR HD hub it was the wrong one for a 1" shaft. They make a plane SSR hub for 1" shafts.
    The HD will not work on a 1" shaft so you can't use it if you wanted too.
    04 521VX 250 Pro XS
    14 521C 250 Pro XS