Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Livescope testing?

Anyone on here interested in testing their Garmin Livescope and posting their results here?
    Here is one that I did last week.
    If possible please try to match these conditions. Hard or rocky bottom in 20 to 30 fow. Forward view set to 40'. 1st picture closer than 15' of object, 2nd within 20 to 30 feet, and last picture beyond 30 feet of object. Post results and pictures here.
    I would be really interested if others are seeing this same void area under similar conditions.
    I'm using the latest software from Garmin.
    I appreciate any and all information anyone can contribute.
    Thanks
    Roy

Well for what it's worth I went back out today after reinstalling the 8 degree cant on my separate transducer pole as per your suggestions. My noise reject was set to medium, color gain to 70%, TVG off, gain at 58%. I can't see where increasing the cant made any improvement to my images.
    Picture #1 brushpile located in 23 fow. Brush ranges from directly under the boat out to almost 15' in front of the boat. Image is great! Couldn't ask.for anything more.
    Picture #2 same brushpile now located approximately 25' in front of the boat. Most of the brush now disappears no matter how I turn or aim my transducer. Void area in front of boat and water depth match. I cannot cast to brush or fish when what I'm wanting to fish is in this zone. Unacceptable, it was not this way before the Perspective View software update.
    Picture #3 same brushpile now located approximately 30 to 40 feet in front of boat. Brush reappears.
    Really hard to fish a 1/16 oz jig precisely over brush located this far and deep from the boat.
    The 20 to 30 foot range in front of the boat in the 20 to 30 fow is where most fish live on my home lake most of the year. This coincides with the dead/void area now present on Livescope.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Member
    Roy,be awhile before I can get to go however it looks like you got the unit I sold, lol

The void area is directly related to the depth, with may of your settings being as they are you get the void. Turn off TVG. Turn off interference rejection and deal with the tree.

this reminds me of 2d when it's filled with clutter but you can see a minnow very when it's clear but you can't see anything smaller than 5 pounds... pick your poison.
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

4. Member
    Roy,you must have your unit set up wrong or not adjusted right, tweet it a little ��

Too hot for me to go out. I will try when I can. The thermocline is 12-15' down now so pretty cloudy below that.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishysam View Post
    The void area is directly related to the depth, with may of your settings being as they are you get the void. Turn off TVG. Turn off interference rejection and deal with the tree.

this reminds me of 2d when it's filled with clutter but you can see a minnow very when it's clear but you can't see anything smaller than 5 pounds... pick your poison.
    Well you got part of it right. My TVG is off. My noise reject is medium. Yes I get the tree when I turn it to low. Still can see the tree or the bait, or the fish. Pick my poison? Why? I didn't have this issue for around 16 months before installing Perspective View software update. I'm wanting to see if others will test their units to see if they now have the same issue. Thanks for your input. I have plenty of experience adjusting my units but I'm open to try new suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by Royt View Post
    Well you got part of it right. My TVG is off. My noise reject is medium. Yes I get the tree when I turn it to low. Still can see the tree or the bait, or the fish. Pick my poison? Why? I didn't have this issue for around 16 months before installing Perspective View software update. I'm wanting to see if others will test their units to see if they now have the same issue. Thanks for your input. I have plenty of experience adjusting my units but I'm open to try new suggestions.
    You don't always have to pick your poison, water temp, clearity, particles, dissolved oxygen all seem to matter. Wait 4 months and it will be normal
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

8. Member
    I fish 12 months out of the year. I didn't have this problem last year this time. Now back to the test.

9. Member
    Royt

I know you are also running HB but don't know if you have a Tmotor with spot lock.

If you have a unit with spot lock, perhaps you could take some screenshots with the center of the bush at 5 ft increments from 5-35ft.

That bush in your above pics is about the perfect shape and size (about 12-13 wide) to illustrate.

I know it would be a PIA, but maybe it would be more dramatic and evidence of the area of the dead zone in smaller increments.

Maybe start with the bush center at 5ft (like your 1st pic) and hit one jog ( 5 ft) back each time and grab a screenshot.

Thanks for the above screenshots.

I may be at a deeper lake on Friday that has some standing trees in 25-30 ft and will try to get the screenshots as I described above at a 40 ft forward view setting.

My GLS10 system is still still at 2.20 so that may help for a comparison.

Other than running down your way and setting up next to your boat for a direct comparison, best I have.

Canada is out this year, never been to Virginia.

10. Member
    Royt. Consider the following theory. Consider that the area covered by LVS is NOT a cone, but instead the left to right part is an elongated hourglass on its side. The neck or narrow part of the hourglass being located at what you call a dead spot or void. In cone terms, a wider cone would pick up and display a much larger portion of the brush than say a cone half as wide. The brush would look very different as only a portion of it would be picked up. Actually what you have shown in your pic #2 is not truly dead or void, but the amount of the brush displayed is diminished.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

11. Member
    Royt. Consider the following theory. Consider that the area covered by LVS is NOT a cone, but instead the left to right part is an elongated hourglass on its side. The neck or narrow part of the hourglass being located at what you call a dead spot or void. In cone terms, a wider cone would pick up and display a much larger portion of the brush than say a cone half as wide. The brush would look very different as only a portion of it would be picked up. Actually what you have shown in your pic #2 is not truly dead or void, but the amount of the brush displayed is diminished.

MMmmm

LWinchester2

Going with that premise, wouldn't that also affect the bottom return in that diminished area in pic #2?

Just a thought.

12. Member
    winchester,in your theroy as i understand you,still when you turn livescope it should pick it up somewhere yet unless you move boat closer or farther the top half of tree is still missing and that means the fish and the jig is missing also,i still say it is a dead spot and is cause by bottom reflecting back out and the box weaken the signal to help dissolve the ghost tree,if a solf bottom or deep water the problem is much less if there at all,not bashing now i am only giving my opinion,trying to stay away from bashing,everyone have a nice day,GOD BLESS

13. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    When yall northern guys say hard bottom, are you refering to clay/sandy type or rock bottom???
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

14. Member
    Unless a flooded reservoir/river/creek system, most of ours is silt over rock.

Lots of limestone quarries up here in the Great Lakes region and city of Chicago sits on bedrock. Hence the sky scrappers.

Most of the northern natural lakes were gouged out by the glaciers down to bedrock.

15. Member
    Fishin couillon, I am from north Carolina, where we have hilly terain and so before the lake was put there these places had little top soil with clay or rocks under it making it hard bottom whereas east of where I live and west of the mountains it flattened out with much top soil which gives it a soft bottom, also due to farming and clearing off the trees the top soil went down hill from us leaving rocky soil in our lakes

16. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Ok, i was thinking in the right direction that lakes yall fish have hard bottom due to rocks, etc......i'll have to go to local river to get hard bottom being its pretty sandy.....any type of rocks are the rock jetties/rock wingwalls....
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeF View Post
    Royt

I know you are also running HB but don't know if you have a Tmotor with spot lock.

If you have a unit with spot lock, perhaps you could take some screenshots with the center of the bush at 5 ft increments from 5-35ft.

That bush in your above pics is about the perfect shape and size (about 12-13 wide) to illustrate.

I know it would be a PIA, but maybe it would be more dramatic and evidence of the area of the dead zone in smaller increments.

Maybe start with the bush center at 5ft (like your 1st pic) and hit one jog ( 5 ft) back each time and grab a screenshot.

Thanks for the above screenshots.

I may be at a deeper lake on Friday that has some standing trees in 25-30 ft and will try to get the screenshots as I described above at a 40 ft forward view setting.

My GLS10 system is still still at 2.20 so that may help for a comparison.

Other than running down your way and setting up next to your boat for a direct comparison, best I have.

Canada is out this year, never been to Virginia.

Come on down to VA! Would love to be able to do a side by side comparison! The weather right now is smoking hot, heat index over 100 every day and water temperature this morning was 89 degrees.

I really like your idea for testing. I was out early this morning trying something new Garmin wanted me to try. It didn't help but I shot a nice 41 second video that pretty clearly shows my issues. Would love to be able to post the video here if someone knows how. I'll gladly email to anyone who PM's me of knows how to post it!

Garmin is working with me on this. They want me to go back out and shoot another video using all factory default setting on my black box. Hopefully I can get back out one morning soon.

Thanks everyone for the responses.

18. Member
    I think that I got it to work. Check out my video here!

19. Member
    My lake has a lot of variety. Some areas are thick mud from sediment washing in. I also have some other areas where the bank (both sides) and bottom are solid rock. Still others where the bottom runs from rubble to huge boulders. Our water level will vary around 60 ft each year, I get to see these areas fully exposed at low pool. For those areas there is no guess work as to what the banks or bottom composition is.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeF View Post
    Going with that premise, wouldn't that also affect the bottom return in that diminished area in pic #2?
    That's how the pic #2 looks to me. I've circle what looks to me like three levels of return from the bottom. Bright out to about 17ft. Significantly dimmed from 17-28. Slightly brighter beyond 28.

Quote Originally Posted by Genec View Post
    winchester,in your theroy as i understand you,still when you turn livescope it should pick it up somewhere yet unless you move boat closer or farther the top half of tree is still missing and that means the fish and the jig is missing also,i still say it is a dead spot and is cause by bottom reflecting back out and the box weaken the signal to help dissolve the ghost tree,if a solf bottom or deep water the problem is much less if there at all.
    I don't think we are in disagreement but how we are saying things makes it look like we are. I'll start with the cant. I use the 8 degree cant. So I have less of a problem with the ghost tree. I think that means that I can use less filtering to minimize the ghost tree. I also nearly always have the gain set to Auto Medium or Auto Low. That leaves internal controls to the engineers who wrote the software. It doesn't bother me if the ghost tree is on screen, if it's not real bright. In my opinion, the very controls used to eliminate the ghost tree are the exact same ones that can create not just a weak area but an area that is void of returns. Yes, hard bottom makes a big difference. I have a couple of areas where the banks and bottom are solid rock and if I eliminate the ghost tree through settings I practically eliminate the usefullness of LVS.

Quote Originally Posted by Royt View Post
    Garmin is working with me on this. They want me to go back out and shoot another video using all factory default setting on my black box. Hopefully I can get back out one morning soon.
    Great video Roy. Thank you for posting it. I didn't catch the settings on the unit used when the video was made. I'm surprised Garmin didn't ask you to repeat it with Noise Rejection OFF, TVG OFF and since they could see the depth and range, a specific gain setting. These settings might not be good for fishing but they are good in a repeatable situation to see how settings change what you see.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

20. Member
    Video is even better!

Cant get any more definitive than that piece of film.

Pretty much shows what I was trying to have you achieve with screenshots.

Roy, thanks for the offer but I stop wearing shorts at 40 degrees up here.

100 degree heat index would probably have me horizontal.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast