Hey Boneil, hope you feel better soon!

Man, I was surprised, yet not surprised to read your story in the lounge. The kids going back to school thing is a big deal and this virus is quite contagious. If you come into contact with anyone that is in that 3-5 day window where they are highly contagious, it's likely you'll get it. I'm hoping that you and your family come out of this unscathed over the next few weeks and make sure to keep us updated on how things are going...
    1994 Ranger 492VS
    2004 Optimax 225 - 0T920364
    6" Hydro Dynamics Manual Jack Plate
    24p Fury 4
    24v 47" Lowrance Ghost / Lowrance HDS

2. Stocks/Investments Moderator boneil's Avatar
    Thanks for the well wishes. I was thinking about posting my story here because I'm really nervous about the fall and winter in terms of the market, obviously I care more about the health of the nation, but we talk stocks here.

On one hand I want to sell a portion of my holdings before the fall because I would guess the headlines in the fall are going to be really bad based off of what I'm dealing with. On the other hand, any day now I think we're going to get news of treatments. Already the fatality rates and hospital stays are down significantly. And maybe it won't be so bad. Plus the Fed is there to pump money into the system.

For now I've decided to do nothing, actually a little buying. I figure if the market goes down significantly I'll just add. I have plenty of time.
    Thanos was the hero

3. Member
    Yes, I saw your post too. Hope you guys are ok.

4. Member
    At my age, I've been cash in my individual investment account since the first Dow 26,000 about a month ago. I have one small position RVRA, which I'm just holding for dividend/ROC. It paid an ROC of 27% in May, so if it keeps it up, I'll be a happy camper.

About a week ago, I cashed out my 401k, taking the maximum withdrawal. The cash is sitting in the bank waiting for a reasonable drop in the overall market to pay my old 401k loan off (pretty much anything less that what I withdrew it at). I can spread out the taxes evenly over 3 years or pay all the taxes now, which gives me options based on overall income and tax brackets, so I'll do whichever makes the most sense. If at any time in the next 3 years I put the money into a qualified IRA (doesn't need to be where the withdrawal came from), I will get a refund of whatever taxes I have paid, unless I put it into a Roth.

Ultimately, what will likely happen is that I will take this cash and put it into a Roth sometime in the next 3 years when the market is down, so I can get the money tax free in about 6-7 years when I need it. In my opinion, the risk of taxes being much higher in 6-7 years is a big concern for me and I'm starting to de-tax my future now, while tax rates are lower.

For the meantime, I'm sitting on a lot of cash and have no FOMO whatsoever. I hope the market goes even crazier and everyone else makes a ton of cash. I'm not that guy right now...
    1994 Ranger 492VS
    24p Fury 4

5. Member
    It is crazy how quickly this is spreading. Hopefully you will be better in the next few days. Did they prescribe you anything or just over the counter stuff?

I'm not doing much in the market right now. I did trim some Disney yesterday thinking I could replace shares at a cheaper price. The cases down here are exploding and we are hearing talk of another shutdown. I think everyone is suffering from COVID fatigue.

6. Member
    Praying that you and your loved ones come thru this fine. Resect and enjoy your postings.

7. Stocks/Investments Moderator boneil's Avatar
    They didn't prescribe anything to my wife, just said you'll get results in 3-5 days and sent her on her way. I was kind of surprised and pissed off. Nothing about contacts either, just that if I started feeling bad to get tested, which I'm going to do now that I have a slight fever and headache.

Covid fatigue is real, I think thats the main reason I let my guard down and went swimming. I was getting to the point where I was thinking maybe it would be better to just get it and role the dice on the severity. But now we need some sort of colored coded hat that we can wear when I go out so everybody knows I already had it so I don't need a mask now.
    Thanos was the hero

8. Member
    Dang man, I hope everything works out well for you guys. You'll be in my prayers

9. Member
    I had a co-worker that got it and it took 8 days to get the results. She had all the classic symptoms, the most bizarre being loss of taste and smell. She was all pissed off it took 3 hours to get the test and 8 days to get the results. They are so backlogged, the results aren't even accurate by the time we get them.
    1994 Ranger 492VS
    24p Fury 4