Thread: Gel cracked

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Gel cracked

It seems in the last 2 months my gel has just started cracking and continues to get worse. 20200720_195103.jpg
    20200720_195002.jpg
    20200720_195446.jpg
    20200720_195236.jpg

Very hard to see in pics and as expected does not do justice. I only posted 4 but there is 5 ft of the nose that is cracked up. Its on the hull and not just top cap and even on the console. Pretty disappointed to see this. Also worried how much worse it will get.
    -2016 Phoenix 721 250 Pro XS
    -Old Rig-2006 Triton TR-196 200HP Optimax

2. Member
    I feel certain they will fix it for ya. I had some issues and my dealer arranged for my boat to go back to the factory after they received a new shipment. So they loaded mine on the empty trailer headed back to TN. I drove out there and picked it up.
    Call Tim....

3. Member
    Those look like impact cracks, you can see where they have a center impact and spread out from there. And the rails look like that have some marks on them. Has your dealer seen them yet?

4. Member
    Not yet.

5. Member
    I am going to disagree with the impact cracks. Impact cracks tend to look like a bulls-eye or a round spider web....those look more like good old fashioned stress cracks to me.
    Either way I hope they take care of it for you.

I think i would have already contacted my dealer and or Phoenix before I posted here...YMMV.

7. Member
    Those do NOT look like impact cracks, and it's curious that you have them in so many places, including what looks like the console?

8. Member
    Have you ever set the hook flipping and had the weight come back at you? That is exactly what that looks like on the console. It hits and spreads from there.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WDEBass View Post
    Have you ever set the hook flipping and had the weight come back at you? That is exactly what that looks like on the console. It hits and spreads from there.
    Yes I have had that happen. It usually results in a chip being taken out of the gel coat from the weight. I am not seeing that in those pictures.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by slipknobber bot View Post
    Those do NOT look like impact cracks, and it's curious that you have them in so many places, including what looks like the console?
    I agree. I'm definitely not an expert but it appears to me that something wasnt right when they sprayed the gel. Maybe the mix was off a little or something

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WDEBass View Post
    It literally looks nothing at all like that

I work on em all the time. Only one looks like impact and I’m betting it isn’t. Call the factory. Some look like it’s cracked through the back colors also....
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

13. Member
    What year boat is this?

14. Member
    It’s always hard to tell from pics whether the issue was caused by impact. However, with console doing the same thing, this looks to be a possible resin issue. I’m by no means an expert, but we have all seen what weight impact does. It’s usually chips a piece of gel coat.
    It doesn’t shatter it like glass, or cause it to look like that. Just my thoughts.
    As asked above. What year boat?

Don
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

The top cap picture looking front to back drivers side looks like ugly orange peel when zoomed in at the crack area. Should the boat have even left the plant in that condition? Seems just running your hand across it you would feel the wave in finished product.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gaston13 View Post
    The top cap picture looking front to back drivers side looks like ugly orange peel when zoomed in at the crack area. Should the boat have even left the plant in that condition? Seems just running your hand across it you would feel the wave in finished product.
    I agree, thinking the same thing, along with the scuff marks. Looks terrible in the pictures, can only imagine what it looks like in person. Need to take that to the dealer.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gaston13 View Post
    Yea, I see that too. It doesnt look right

18. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    Glass cracks no matter the brand it will happen

19. Member
    Well I got a hold of Tim at Phoenix. He definitely didn't show his hand but he did say that he was going to get some other eyes on the photos and get back to me.

20. Member
    Did you buy the boat new? Looking at the terrible finish in the gel, it almost looks like it has had repair done. Ive seen some gel repairs before they were finish sanded and buffed that looked rough but not quite that bad. Ive noticed that phoenix (mine included) has more orange peel in general than other brands. If that spot hasnt been repaired i would be worried that something from underneath is trying to work its way out. If you gel/topcoat over something that isnt fully cured, vapors will work their way out causing some weird stuff to happen to the top coat, which may include your cracking. Ive been in the auto repair industry my whole life and have seen some crazy stuff happen like that. I once saw a wrap get put over a vehicle that the paint wasnt fully cured and caused billions of bubbles to form in the wrap as the vapors tried to escape as the curing process was completing
    They aint got hands, set the hook

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast