Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Stocks/Investments Moderator boneil's Avatar

The virus hits home

I find it hard to believe how quickly this happened and how it happened. I think the way the information about this virus is being reported certainly contributed. Kids are getting sick, and kids can spread the virus.

I am constantly hearing about how we need to open schools because kids are not the issue, they don't get sick, and there is no evidence of them spreading the virus to adults. Because of that thinking, my family and myself let our guard down and now we are dealing with the consequences.

My mother in-law watches the children of family members. When the state reopened, a cousin and her husband went back to work and asked MIL to watch the 3 and 5 year old. Sure no reason not to. The parents would drop the kids off at the front door and never stepped foot in the house. The parents and MIL never came into close contact. In the MIL's house lives my mil, father in-law, sister in-law and her nine year old.

Day 1. This all started when the husband wasn't feeling well and went to the doctors and was diagnosed with a sinus infection.

Day 2. Since it was a sinus infection the children were watched the next day. The wife and I went to MIL's house to swim that afternoon. The workplace of the husband made him go get a virus test before he could go back to work.
    Day3. One child, the 5 year old has a fever. I found out about the child's fever that afternoon while swimming. While swimming I was playing with the 9 year old and talking with my MIL. The wife and I never went into the house. Nobody in the house had any symptoms. Only the 5 year old had a slight fever but for her age it was practically normal.
    Day 4. The wife and I were heading over to swim again. When we get there we find out the husband has tested positive for the virus. We went back home.
    Day 5. The MIL has a fever and headache. The cousin losses her sense of smell and taste and her other child isn't feeling well.
    Day 6 My FIL and SIL have a fever. My wife has a slight headache
    Day 7 My wife has a fever and I have a scratchy throat
    Day 8 I have a little headache and the wife is on her way to the doctors to get tested and talk to her doctor. She feels like she has normal cold. Hopefully thats as far as it goes. Everybody else has fevers except for the 9 nine year old. I'm unsure about the cousin and husband.

The cousin and husband had to go back to work, we reopened the state. My MIL watched the kids because she was constantly told there is little to no risk watching children. Daycares are opened. The wife and I went swimming. Why wouldn't we. We're outdoors in the sun. Why would I have any concern from playing with my niece when nobody has any symptoms. I don't think I ever stepped foot in that house except to maybe pass through.

9 people in the family, so far, are sick and quarantined. And there has been no effort on contact tracing by the state.

Wish us luck
    Thanos was the hero

2. Member
    Before the shut down I personally didn’t know anyone that Covid effected. Now I can’t think of anyone that’s Covid has not personally effected in some way. At best it is someone at work, or distant family member. Probably 30% of the people I know have either had it or someone in their immediate family has.

Everyday I’m starting to think more and more if we don’t get a vaccine soon, we are just going to have to let this thing run it’s course through everyone and hope for the best. Wearing masks and all this other stuff is just delaying the inevitable if no cure is found in timely manor. Meanwhile we are dragging our economy and enjoyment of everyday life down the toilet.
    Last edited by weim hunter; 07-21-2020 at 08:29 AM.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by boneil View Post
    I am constantly hearing about how we need to open schools because kids are not the issue, they don't get sick, and there is no evidence of them spreading the virus to adults. Because of that thinking, my family and myself let our guard down and now we are dealing with the consequences.
    Man, sorry your family is going through this and hope everyone recovers. I don't know who is saying kids don't spread the disease. Schools have long been known to be massive germ factories and kids bring home various bugs to the rest of the family.

4. Banned
    Hope you All are ok.

that everything works out for you and the family. My wife works for a few hours a day after work at the church preschool/daycare and she is contemplating not going back this year because she feels the extra money may not worth the risk. I told her do what she feels is best I'm not sure how I feel because I'm still working and daughter going to college and a boy going to high school at least for now, who knows if that will happen but they will be around people also so unless everyone is staying home not much you can do but hope for he best.

Sorry to hear. Hope everyone recovers.

7. Member
    Why would anyone think a child cound NOT transmit a viruse?

8. Banned
    Wish you luck! Everyone knows kids can be carrier’s, that’s been stated all along. So do the groceries coming into your house, it’s everywhere’s.

There are three kinds of people in the world: those that have it, those that already had it and those that will get it.

9. Member
    Sorry to hear, hopefully you all are back to healthy soon. Kids can definitely catch and transmit it. My daughter has been in daycare since mid May. They take her temperature every morning before being allowed to enter. We don’t take her anywhere besides daycare or outdoor parks, not worth the risk.
    Brandon
    1996 Ranger 362XT
    Johnson Faststrike 150

10. Member

11. Member
    I hear a lot on the news about people saying kids are less likely to get or spread the virus.

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    Quote Originally Posted by BP in ME View Post
    Man, sorry your family is going through this and hope everyone recovers. I don't know who is saying kids don't spread the disease. Schools have long been known to be massive germ factories and kids bring home various bugs to the rest of the family.
    Pretty much was the governor of Missouri said yesterday. Kids will get COVID-19 at school and will go home "to get over it". Apparently he forgot that kids have parents.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianKF View Post
    I hear a lot on the news about people saying kids are less likely to get or spread the virus.
    Well, there ya go!; straight from the fact-generating operation itself.

Brian O., I hope, and think, everything will be OK.

14. Member

15. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    Take more vitamins and spray more bleach

Quote Originally Posted by BigFishSteve View Post
    Why would anyone think a child cound NOT transmit a viruse?
    Because the mainstream media has said so over and over

17. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassman Ia. View Post
    Because the mainstream media has said so over and over

Kids can certainly carry the virus... Why wouldn't they... The just small humans... Remember when the virus first hit New York City???... There were report of kids sick with the virus... I'm still in the "I don't know anyone personally that has tested positive"... A lot of that guys Mom's, next door neighbors 2nd cousin tested positive... Hope all works out for y'all... Just remember it ain't a death sentence... Take care... Dan

18. Stocks/Investments Moderator boneil's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BP in ME View Post
    I don't know who is saying kids don't spread the disease.

The CDC director for one. I don't want to turn this political but I could post links to plenty of examples of certain people down playing the risk with children. I hear every day on the radio and almost every time I turn on certain news shows.

On the bright side, we should be over this illness well before we go on vacation. And already having the virus would make things alot easier.
    Thanos was the hero

OP - Very sorry for your family's troubles...truly am. Praying and hoping for the best possible result.

20. Member
    Our 21 year old dog sitter had it while we were gone for two weeks. We scrubbed this house top to bottom when we got home. The dog sitter is a FT college student and works PT at a home for troubled children. She was sent home for two weeks. She left daily, said if she didn’t know the test said positive she’d never known she had it...totally asymptomatic. No telling how many Americans are walking around like this. I get my temp taken everyday at work and mask are mandatory for everyone! All seats are spaced 6’ apart. I still sanitize the room everyday and wash my hands often. I don’t want it, but life has to go on.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast