Sturgeon Bay Guide Recommendations

I'm looking for a guide recommendation, or conversely who to avoid, as I'm sure it's no surprise that BPT put a spotlight on Sturgeon Bay last week. Looking to book something in the next 30-45 days if possible.

If nothing is available, how difficult is finding/patterning the smallmouth in the upcoming months? We normally drag our boats from OK to Mille Lacs this time of year but looking to switch it up, and even though some of the BPT angler struggled, how hard would it be to unlock Sturgeon Bay for an average angler?

Appreciate any help/advice.
    Last edited by Pound4Pound; 07-21-2020 at 08:27 AM.

Dale Stroschein at Wacky Walleye Guide Service. You can even stay at his hotel, San Bay Beach Resort.

http://wackywalleye.com/

Steve
    2006 BassCat Puma
    2006 Yamaha 250 HPDI
    Team Daiwa!

I've fished both mill lacs and the bay. I love both but prefer the bay. Follow currents and food sources and you'll find plenty of large schools of smallies. This time of the year 30 fish days are the norm and 50+ are common and now and then you'll have a slaughter fest of 100+. No you don't typically get the numbers of 4.5+ like you do in the spring but who truly gets sick of landing dozens of 3-4lb hard fighting footballs? I've landed plenty of 5 to 6lb smallies in the summer but like I said it's not as common as the spring.

4. Member
    Lonney Goman with Green Bay Trophy Fishing is another real good one https://www.facebook.com/greenbaytrophyfishing/

Sturgeon Bay is great and I've caught a ton of fish there and Little Sturgeon. Past few years though I've been heading just a bit north from there though like Horseshoe to Sister Bay. I don't think it's super hard to find them in the summer but I've been going up there for a while. I think in the summer it's easier to find them around the islands up by Fish Creek (and also Hat) myself, there always seems to be fish out there.

5. Member
    I've fished with one of the above mentioned guides....meh.

6. Member
    We have fished with several smallie guides up there. They have all been good guys. This spring we went up and didn’t use a guide. Met a younger guide (Mark Jackson 920 255 6245) in the parking lot of our hotel. He was a blast to visit with and gave us a ton of information! I tried to pay him for the info and he wouldn’t take any money (I did finally get him to take a waterproof map of Green Bay that I had ) I will definitely call mark next time I’m heading up that way. Seems to really know smallies, and just seems to be a hell of a great guy.
    good luck!

7. Member
    Chris Johnson is a solid choice. Google fishcrazy guide up in door county.

8. Member
    Another vote for Chris Johnson

9. Member
    Just so happened we hit it on a day with 5-6 footers. I've never surfed waves in a bass boat before but he knew how to handle them. He offered another trip because he felt bad of the conditions that were handed to us.

10. Member
    We had a day like that as well, but we had his 26' bay boat which handled it with ease and allowed us to fish all day!

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bass-o-maticjm View Post
    We had a day like that as well, but we had his 26' bay boat which handled it with ease and allowed us to fish all day!
    October 2018 I also went out with Chris in his Triton bay boat. Problem was the waves were legitimately 6-8'. Chris said when motoring back to the landing that "those were probably the tallest waves I've had a client in". Near the end of the day I was mentally drained thinking I was going to drown for the past 8 hours.... We did catch some fish and I do have a better appreciation for driving in those conditions but never again :)
    2023 Ranger 521R DC
    Mercury 250 Pro XS 4S