Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Savage, Don, thankyou for all this. I agree, lets start at the beginning with a load test on the battery and work towards all the connections. Dealer will get a copy of this post. Again, your help it very appreciated.

2. Member
    Update: Merc mechanic found a bad relay. Replaced and the starting issue seems to have gone away. Motor started all day this last Thursday while practicing for a tourney. Motor still has a miss at higher rpm but not as bad as last time we used it. Going to use it this Sat. and Sun. in tourneys and live with the miss. We are going to run it next week on a remote tank and see if its a fuel delivery problem. Seems to only miss above 5,000 rpm.

3. Member
    Thought I would reply to this even though a lot of time has passed. Turns out it was a bad trim sensor. The trim sensor would think the motor was being extremely over trimmed and tell the EU to shut things down. Mechanic found it by riding around on the back deck of the boat with his laptop plugged in. Crazy!

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Good catch. And when intermittent, you may not get a fault (in order to fault it must meet the "X out of Y" strategy in the PCM).

Observing the laptop (or better yet, making a recording that can be played back over and over) are the best ways to catch those little "boogers".

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fuelleak View Post
    Thought I would reply to this even though a lot of time has passed. Turns out it was a bad trim sensor. The trim sensor would think the motor was being extremely over trimmed and tell the EU to shut things down. Mechanic found it by riding around on the back deck of the boat with his laptop plugged in. Crazy!
    thanks for following up.... could be extremely helpful to others.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12