Megaware Keel guard install

Guys I recently purchased a 7ft Megaware keelguard which honestly may be too long. I read some installation instructions from Gator Guards page and they suggested using 3M 4200 around the top side of the keel guard. It’s hard to find a small tube of the black color.
    I guess my question is this a must have? I’m semi concerned due to the small indentions where the wings are on the hull of my 2012 618 pro.

I would start the guard just below the wings. I’ve done it on 2, a 618 and a 920 and both worked great.

3. Member
    I like that Coach. The waterline is definitely below the wings my only worry was if it would take take direct contact from the water more at that low of a level. But it it worked for you I’m going to try it. Also I will probably need to cut it down since it’s 7 ft long

4. Member
    I just ordered a Megaware myself. I watched the video of Gator Guard and they suggested 7 ft for a 21 ft boat not sure about an 18 though. I would put the masking tape and start just below the bottom wing and dry fit the guard. See where it falls out on the keel/haul and mark it and cut it if need be. Also, as far as sealing the front by the wing with the 4200 I think its better to be a little more cautious and go ahead and do it. I plan on doing it myself when mine gets here

5. Member
    I'll regret saying this.....
    I put mine on by the instructions in the box in 2013 and it is still holding up just fine. Started below the wings on my 719. Can't remember the length, but I think I got the shortest one they offered at the time.

6. Member
    That 4200 is hard to find close to here and hard to find in black. I think I’m going to install mine below the wings like everyone suggests and hope for the best. When I get some 4200 in I may try to seal it up

I did not seal either of mine and had no problems, just made sure I had good contact with a roughed surface and they both stayed in place perfectly.

8. Member
    Where have ya'll found the 4200 ? My guard just came in and I will be looking to get some 4200 for the install.

9. Member
    I believe you can get it from Amazon or try West Marine online.

10. Member
    Double check that waterline, my 721 resting line is in middle of first wing with hardly any tackle up front. I started mine middle of second wing which is about 6" higher than the water line. Sometimes I have to hit the bank with some TP and head for the bushes so I would rather be protected than to not cover one of those wings and it be useless to have a keel guard.

11. Member
    What year is your 721? Reason I ask is because my resting line is about where you state yours is. I have a 2019 and it has the inset wings. Megaware advises to put below the bottom wing on newer models bc of the inset wings. I just finished installing mine about 30 mins ago so we will see if it holds lol......

12. Member
    I have a 2020 721, I put a 7’ megaware on and started it at the top of the wing closest to winch eye. Installed and pounded with rubber mallet. Hasn’t gave me a minutes trouble.

13. Member
    I put the 7' myself. Started at bottom wing and let it ride lol..Prolly shoulda did like you, but I didn't wont to cover my wings. Idk why, sounds dumb i know lol

14. Member
    Great how to video is on Tacticalbassin. Not a Phoenix but just watching Matt do it is pretty cool.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBucketMouth33 View Post
    What year is your 721? Reason I ask is because my resting line is about where you state yours is. I have a 2019 and it has the inset wings. Megaware advises to put below the bottom wing on newer models bc of the inset wings. I just finished installing mine about 30 mins ago so we will see if it holds lol......
    Mine is a 2021, mine is 6 inches ahaed of the waterline if you understand what I mean, with me on the front of the boat it's about 4 inches over water line and 6 inches of guard up the keel. Middle wing started mine in the middle of that wing.

16. Member
    Not for nothing but I have had one for years on my Nitro and I only ever drag krap across the bottom(shoring the boat on ramps before docks are in place early season) which is nowhere close to the wing. I bought a 2021 721 proxp and should be taking delivery sometime in the next couple weeks, I refuse to cover that pretty wing lol. I cant think of a time I ever rubbed the bottom that high up on the keel to even think about needing it that high. Am I crazy?

17. Member
    I run up in the woods quite often to handle the ol IBS so I wanted to cover all i could. i just know the water line on mine is in the middle of the first wing give or take a inch. I didnt care for the wing look there myself so I have a black hull with black fire wings so cant really see them.

18. Member
    I have a black hull with wine colored wings. Every little scratch/blemish shows up. Recently, I was fishing a tourney on a river and the water was low. My partner couldn't get from the boat to the dock so he asked that i pull up for him to jump to land. Apparently, they had some rocks or something and I did get a few small scratches up by the 2nd wing. Even had the keel guard been that high up it was too far to the side for it to protect.

19. Member
    I believe Someone would have some wet feet before I beach in some rocks with a $$$$$$ boat. TJM