Javelin renegade 18 motor setup

Hi everyone I posted this in the boat setup but wanted to post it here too.

Hi everyone. I recently repowered my javelin renegade 18 with a 115 Johnson 4stroke. I had a ficht 150 but it finally crapped out for good. Got a good deal on the 115 and couldn't pass it up. My question is, is there anyone else with this boat and a 115 and if so what is your setup. Is the motor mounted all the way down on the transom? And what props are you running? Currently I have a 6" pro hi jacker jackplate with it all the way down running a 21p 4 blade solas hr4. I'm getting mid 40s for speed and decent holeshot by myself but with a tournament load it struggles to get on pad and I dont get any bow lift. Even with the jackplate all the way down my motor is still at least an inch higher than the transom. Debating about removing the jackplate so I can lower the motor even more. Just hate to do it and not gain anything. Thanks in advance

2. Member
    need to measure ptp and see where you are at. getting to max rpms also?
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

3. Member
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    MAGA

4. Member
    By myself I can hit the rev limiter. Fully loaded I dont seem to

OP, go to the link posted, read and understand how to measure prop to pad (PDP). Let us know what it is but good God, don't take off the plate.
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

Based on what I recall from this subject being discussed in the past a 22 Raker 3.5" below the pad should net 5500 rpm and around low 50's GPS...FYI the 22 Raker comes in a 13 spline and a 15 spline. The 15 is for the 150+HP motors so you need the 13 spine for the 115 HP gear-case.

Quote Originally Posted by tdt91 View Post
    OP, go to the link posted, read and understand how to measure prop to pad (PDP). Let us know what it is but good God, don't take off the plate.

I like to go buy this picture. All the info is in one picture and it has easy to follow directions...

8. Member
    Thanks for all the replies. I will try to measure p2p later today. My Johnson 115 4stroke max rps are 6000. It takes a suzuki prop since it was built by them. As for the jackplate, I'd much rather leave it on if possible. My problem is that the jackplate and motor are as far down as possible right now. Runs decent with just me but with a tournament load I loose bow lift.

I did not realize your Johnson was a 4 stroke. I have no idea about your specific motor but most 4 strokes have a different gear ratio than a two stroke of equivalent HP. With that being said my suggestion in reply #6 may not be correct.

10. Member
    Unfortunately I got out of work late today and was not able to measure the p2p. I will try to sometime this week.

11. Member
    suzuki is likely geared really low might need a bigger bravo 1 to lift it up ???
    MAGA

12. Member
    The gear ratio is 2.59. I think my prop is only 13" diameter or slightly bigger, maybe 13.25". I have no idea if a prop with a larger diameter would work better. I'm assuming a I could run a prop up to 14" diameter but I am not sure of that either.

13. Member
    Ok everyone I was able to measure p2p this afternoon and now it has me completely confused because nothing that I do seems to work or be normal. With my jackplate all the way down p2p is 6" which I realize is really low. The original position of my jackplate would have the motor p2p in the 3.5" range which sounds about right. But when the motor was higher at that position once on pad I could only get maybe 1/4 trim before the prop would let go and blow out. I would get no bow rise and no air under the hull. Both props I had did the same thing. Current prop is a 21p 4blade stainless by solas, the other was a 23p 3blade aluminum from turning point. I realize they are nothing alike. But it seems one of them would have given me a little lift, unless both props are just complete junk. Now with the motor all the way down on the jackplate which puts p2p at 6" I can trim all the way up my gauge, I get decent bow rise and some air under the hull. This is with just myself and a light load in the boat. Do I need to raise the motor back up some and just try a completely different prop?

I don't think your motor has enough power to lift the bow like it needs to. Or, like you said the props our out of spec. If they are not new or know to you to be in great spec them maybe look into another prop or sending them to a reputable prop guy. There are a couple guys here that always get mentioned. So many prop shops just clean props up and send them back because their customers are not running performance boats and they never know.
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.