Help with javelin renegade 18dc motor setup

Hi everyone. I recently repowered my javelin renegade 18 with a 115 Johnson 4stroke. I had a ficht 150 but it finally crapped out for good. Got a good deal on the 115 and couldn't pass it up. My question is, is there anyone else with this boat and a 115 and if so what is your setup. Is the motor mounted all the way down on the transom? And what props are you running? Currently I have a 6" pro hi jacker jackplate with it all the way down running a 21p 4 blade solas hr4. I'm getting mid 40s for speed and decent holeshot by myself but with a tournament load it struggles to get on pad and I dont get any bow lift. Even with the jackplate all the way down my motor is still at least an inch higher than the transom. Debating about removing the jackplate so I can lower the motor even more. Just hate to do it and not gain anything. Thanks in advance

2. Pat Goff
    Well you got a lot of stuff going on.
    That motor is a Suzuki. And it’s not nearly as forgiving as the two stroke it replaced.

Item 1 is that prop. It’s a turd with turd ways. Most zukes have a very strange gear ratio so check that first. 2.5 or so. And it has to run at the top of its rpm range. If it says 6,000 it really means 6,000.

What I’m not certain of is size. What do you have and what are you turning it with a load?
    Pat Goff

Two degrees from center
    of nowhere.
    Smithwick TX.

[SIGPIC][<a href=http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=583&dateline=1498828542/SIGPIC] target=_blank>http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?t...828542/SIGPIC]</a>

3. Member
    Current prop is solas hr4 titan 21p. It's a 4 blade stainless. By myself I can hit the rev limiter. With a full tournament load the rpms are in the 5500- 5800 range but I can not get much bow lift. I'm assuming that if I could get a little more bow lift the rpms would also rise and I'd potentially be pushing the limiter again. No the 4stroke is not as forgiving as my old ficht 150. I used to run that motor pretty high with a tempest and it ran great. Getting the new motor setup dialed in has been much more difficult. I have looked at the lifter series from powertec props but I'd hate to drop another $400 or so on another prop only to find out it didnt help. I have no experience with powertec props. Been considering a 22p in either a 4 blade or 3 blade. But I am still wondering if I need to remove my jackplate because even with it all the way down the motor bracket appears to be 1-1.5" above transom. I have not had time yet this week to try and measure the p2p

OP, Like I said on the Evinrude Forum, removing the JP will not help you. Don't worry about where the motor bracket is in relation to the transom. It really sounds like you are way too deep, but we won't know until you measure PTP.
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

5. Member
    Before I dropped it all the way down I was definitely way to high, once on pad the bow was being pushed down and the boat would want to bow steer. Tried dropping it a little at a time but found that I am getting my best performance with the jackplate all the way down as of right now.

Did you trim the motor up? Did you by chance put a 25'' shaft motor on the boat? What you are saying makes no sense to me.
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

7. Member
    Of course I trimmed the motor up. This isnt my first rodeo. My old ficht 150 used to love running high on the jackplate but unfortunately it crapped out. Got a great deal on this 115 4stroke and decided I could live with a little less performance. It's a 20" motor. This is the first 4stroke I have owned and it seems to be very picky about what it wants.

8. Member
    Before dropping my jackplate I could not trim much at all or it would want to push the bow down and bow steer. By dropping the plate all the way down now I can add trim and get a little air under the hull with just me in the boat. But with a full load I'm not getting near the same bow lift

9. Member
    Ok sorry if I sounded snappy in my previous post. Was a long day. And I take for granted that not everyone knows how to run a bass boat.

I managed to measure p2p this afternoon and it thoroughly has confused the crap out of me now. According to my measurement it's at 6" between prop shaft and pad. Which I realize is really low. When i first swapped motors the original position of the jackplate would have put my p2p at around 3.5" +/- a little. I did not measure it then. But at the original jackplate position I could get almost zero trim before my prop would let go and blow out. I tried 2 different props. My current 21p 4 blade stainless solas and a 23p 3 blade aluminum from turning point. Didnt matter, both props did the same thing. Both would blow out after adding maybe 1/4 trim if that and I had zero bow rise. Are both props I tried just complete junk? Trying to figure out of my original jackplate position was closer to where it needs to be but I just need a better prop

10. Pat Goff
    That prop is a TURD. It can't run high, won't run high and will never come close to potential.
    Zukes are a pain to prop. Plus you're asking a 115 to do a V6 job.

Call Mark or Josh at Steves, and see what they think, that Zuke has a 2.5:1 gear ratio, and a narrow power band, both together mean your window of just right is going to be pretty small.

And...no matter which prop you run, it's going to need to run a lot deeper than your V6 did, you won't have the same diameter, or the grunt to get a high rake prop to lift.
    Pat Goff

Two degrees from center
    of nowhere.
    Smithwick TX.

[SIGPIC][<a href=http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=583&dateline=1498828542/SIGPIC] target=_blank>http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?t...828542/SIGPIC]</a>

11. Member
    Dump the prop first. Its trash. Dont worry too much about a 2.5 gear ratio. That lets you turn a bigger prop. Do what the the guy said. Call somebody. If you could fix it, you would not be asking here. Get someone that knows zukis because if you dont, your going to spend a fortune finding the right prop. The motor will want to run 5800 to 6k for best performance. If you ever rode 2 stroke dirt bikes, remember the power band was narrow and high rpm. Thats a zuki outboard.

12. Member
    Thanks for the replies. Been looking at the prop lineup from powertec. They seem to have the best selection. I'll probably try to call them and see what they might suggest