Common grounding with Lowrance Ghost?

Is it a good idea to tie the grounds together between the house battery and the trolling motor battery negative? Will it cause a problem?
    Butch Derickson
    2011 Z521 w/250 hp SHO
    Traverse City, Michigan

The boat riggers will be along to tell you what is normally done, but the only path where they cross is the Ghost and the gadgets. If I were designing that connection I would isolate the circuits, but someone else did and they may have decided to share a common ground.
    Ranger R81
    Lowrance HDS Live 9”
    Lowrance HDS Live 12”
    Active Target 2 on Seelite Pole
    Lowrance Ghost
    Mercury 175

3. Member
    Being the Ghost will be run on either 24v or 36v, I would recommend against establishing a common ground with your 12v system.
    2011 Tracker PT 175 TF
    2011 Merc 60 ELPT 4S

Quote Originally Posted by R2Tracker View Post
    Being the Ghost will be run on either 24v or 36v, I would recommend against establishing a common ground with your 12v system.
    That would not be a factor as you set the Ghost for your system on initial installation. There is no switch to change it back and forth from 24v to 36v.
    Butch Derickson
    2011 Z521 w/250 hp SHO
    Traverse City, Michigan

5. Member
    The point was it will either be 24v or 36v, not 12v... as such, I personally would not establish a common ground between the trolling batteries and cranking battery.
    2011 Tracker PT 175 TF
    2011 Merc 60 ELPT 4S

6. Member
    Isn't the common ground a solution for interference issues between TM and electronics? With the brushless motor the claim is no interference from the TM on electronics so in theory no need for it.

Quote Originally Posted by mean_dean View Post
    Isn't the common ground a solution for interference issues between TM and electronics? With the brushless motor the claim is no interference from the TM on electronics so in theory no need for it.
    Like I said I am getting little dots scattered all over the depth screen when running the Ghost on Max. It is not the same kind of interference I got on the screen when running a Minnkota. Used to get a solid black line when hit the minnkota and then the auto sensitivity would correct and clear up the screen.
    Butch Derickson
    2011 Z521 w/250 hp SHO
    Traverse City, Michigan

This is a screen shot I took of the Carbon unit while running the Ghost on Max speed setting for those who doubt. The transducer is the Ghost HDI. Don't notice any interference on lower speed settings. Something else, I found if I set the sonar on m/h Chirp the interference dissapears.

Lowrance interference.JPG

Incidentally, I installed the common ground between starting and trolling motor batteries but it didn't make any difference in the interference
    Butch Derickson
    2011 Z521 w/250 hp SHO
    Traverse City, Michigan