2020 pro xs lacking RPMs

I just bought a 20 175 Pro xs for my 98 Ranger 518 DVS. I am having no luck getting my RPMs over 5500. My pad to prop is 3". I have tried a 4 blade 21p, tempest plus 3 blade 22p, and a Tempest plus 3 blade 23p. I have my pad to prop from 4 1/2" to 1 1/2" and my RPMs stay between 5500 and 5600. Max speed is only 55mph. Water preasure is 22 at WOT. I feel like I'm not at full throttle, but the mechanic told me he calibrated it for full throttle. Anyone have any ideas what the deal could be?

Fuel starvation for one, stick with the 21 pitch and p to P of about 3 1/4 in until you figure out what is wrong with the motor
    Thank You Leon Pugh

3. Member
    I did find some water in the fuel so maybe that is robbing me some RPMs

4. Pat Goff
    Are you out of ten hour break in?
    Pat Goff

Two degrees from center
    of nowhere.
    Smithwick TX.

[SIGPIC][<a href=http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=583&dateline=1498828542/SIGPIC] target=_blank>http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?t...828542/SIGPIC]</a>

5. Banned
    Brand new and over 10 hrs I would be hauling it back to the dealership.

6. Member
    6 hours

7. Member
    I have 6 hours. It's at the dealer now

8. Banned
    Might be wrong but pretty sure it is still in guardian mode. I don't have much experience with the new 4 strokes but someone mentioned they stay in guardian mode till hour 10 for break in. Keeps you from putting too many rpms on a fresh motor.

9. Member
    Break in is 2 hrs under 4500 RPMs. Then 8 hrs open it up, vary speed, and u can full throttle for 5 minutes at a time.

10. Pat Goff
    You can’t make those kind of moves and not have changes. Your motor is still locked down.
    Pat Goff

Two degrees from center
    of nowhere.
    Smithwick TX.

[SIGPIC][<a href=http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=583&dateline=1498828542/SIGPIC] target=_blank>http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?t...828542/SIGPIC]</a>

11. Member
    Thats what I think too. I called Mercury and they said it's not in guardian mode. Pretty sure the dealer didn't set the motor up right. It's either that or something is wrong with the motor. I'm about to tell the dealer screw off and now I have to pay someone else to set it up. That is BS!

12. Member
    Where did you find the water in the fuel filter?

13. Member
    Yes, I emptied water. I'm Installing a water separator and trying to figure out how water is getting in

14. Member
    What gas do you run regular unleaded or alcohol free. Just dumping the filter won't get rid of the water you need to drain the tank and get all the old gas out of it and start over. You can run the old gas in your truck. Condensation over the years will put water in the tank especially if you run alcohol free gas. I'd buy gas at a different dealer too just in case it's in their tanks. I'm not sure about the 4 stroke motors but Mercury always said not to add a water separator filter to the 2 strokes.

15. Member
    Use ethanol free gas that I just put in. I'm gonna drain my tanks, replace vented gas caps, rerun vent hose to trap any water intrusion and reseal top of tanks. Talked to dealer and they said a water separator is fine for .my 4 stroke. I also found out that my hotfoot was only allowing 90% throttle. Switching to hand control for now. This should help my RPMs alot.

16. Member
    Have your dealer hook up their computer to check it for 100% at wide open throttle. Not getting 100% is a known issue with new 4 stroke

17. Member
    Did the dealer tell you it was 90% or you just found the stop lock was keeping it from opening?

18. Member
    The dealer said they put the computer on it and it was 90%. The hotfoot couldn't be adjusted anymore so I'm looking up to hand control for now.

19. Member
    The dealer should have been able to adjust the throttle to 100%. If the hot foot is hitting the stop nut take the bolt and nut off. You also have to watch trapping the vent lines to the tank or you will get gas in it and plug the vent line making it hard to fill the tank and vapor lock the motor.