2004 198 Elite - fuel gauge bouncing needle

Original owner of a 2004 198 Elite.

Had the boat out on the upper Chesapeake yesterday and noticed for the first time in 16 years the fuel gauge needle bouncing around erratically at times. I probably actually had 1/2 a tank of gas but the needle was going from (below E) to full, back to half. It eventually stopped doing this and leveled out to show a little bit less than 1/2 tank as expected. This wasn’t caused by a boat wake. Any ideas — Gauge going bad or is there an easy to get to sending unit for the fuel level (like behind the middle seat - unscrew the panel). Part numbers ?
    Rich
    Westminster, Maryland
    Champion 198 Elite DC / Yamaha VMax

2. Member
    I'm having the same issue.......interested in responses

Well I did find a good YouTube Video on the topic with detailed instructions how to test the gauge, wire connections and fuel sending unit. Now I need to find some free time to take a look at the boat. We are also in a heat wave this week with day temps near or at 100 Degrees with heat indexes at 110+.

Rich
    Westminster, Maryland
    Champion 198 Elite DC / Yamaha VMax

Sounds like a shoddy ground connection on the surface of it...

5. Member
    check the wires on back, mine was doing that and turned out the wires on back were loose.

6. Member
    On wiring of gauges. On my 2003 Champion 206 all of the wires on the back of the gauges are push connects onto the poles on the gauges. Should I think about cutting the push connects off and switching everything over to ring terminals?

I just replaced my tach for the 2nd time on this boat, my water pressure gauge for the first time and my fuel gauge for the first time, I tested the fuel gauge and it tested as good but I replaced it anyway since it was pegging past full and I had bought a new gauge, put new gauge in and it went to 3/4 tank which I think is pretty close to what I think I should have.
    Charles Prue - Linthicum Heights, MD
    2003 Champion 206 Elite - 250 VMax