Thread: Brisket

Brisket

Just got back from Costco. Bought a 19# prime full packer brisket. $3.49 lb. Was shocked to see it there as they only carry choice flats. Now i forget what i went there for.

At least it seems like prices are coming down. Last time I looked around here, beef was going for over $7/lb. I haven't smoked a brisket yet. New to the smoker and didn't want to ruin an expensive piece of meat.
    __________________________________________________ _____________
    2005 Lund Rebel SS 1650 w/25 HP Merc 4-stroke
    USAF 1985 - 2006 NKAWTG!

3. Member
    That's about what I always see Costco's prime brisket for. It is a great price for prime brisket. That said the fat between the point and the flat on those prime packer briskets is a large percentage of the weight that you are buying. Some trim in out others believe it adds to the overall tenderness and moistness of the finished product. Whether you trim or cook it away there is tremendous shrinkage on a prime grade whole brisket.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AirForceAngler View Post
    At least it seems like prices are coming down. Last time I looked around here, beef was going for over $7/lb. I haven't smoked a brisket yet. New to the smoker and didn't want to ruin an expensive piece of meat.
    Ya gotta burn to learn
    Boatless Bank Trash for now

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AirForceAngler View Post
    Before I opened my restaurant I cooked over 50 briskets in the new cooker we had bought for the restaurant. Some were ok, some were bad, all were learning experiences and you cannot be afraid to learn. Bad brisket cooks still can be turned into dinner, just learn and make it better next time.

6. Moderator
    Practice makes perfect.

Wally world had some select packer trims for $2/lb. I got three 10# that I planned on turning into chili or stew meat. Pulled the first one and it was surprisingly good. Went back to get a couple more but they were gone. Usually they aren’t very tasty so I stayed away from them.

Other stores are selling choice PTs for $5-7/lb. Saw some choice angus for over $90 the other day. I like beef, but not that much!