1987 Black max XR2 150 Help Diagnosing

Hello all, a little background on the motor issue, last year I noticed it would idle "okayish" but once I gave it throttle it would act like it was only running on one side. I had no top end power and could not get on plane. I took it home and started researching the problems. I had already replaced the plugs and cleaned the carb (earmuffs and a gallon of gas + seafoam).

When testing the motor I noticed the starter started to smoke and it Im pretty sure its toast now. I will replace that and resume testing.

Here is my question, After the research on the motor I believe its electrical (esp if the starter was acting up - maybe was given too much volts)? I have read that the Stator is a problem, not so much the power packs or switch box. I called my old boat mechanic and after some questions on the phone he believes the stator has been replaced (it looks new too). Could a stator go bad over a few years?

What else should I check / how should I check them? Anyone have a list of things I should do to try to narrow down the problem? I just want to figure out what is going on without buying a bunch of parts. Tight lines.

edit: 1986 Serial number 0B144230
    Last edited by IUBass; 07-20-2020 at 10:11 AM.

2. Member
    Stator can go bad, but that usually causes low voltage. A bad regulator going bad can cause high voltage. Visually inspecting the regulator and it’s connectors and wires for burnt spots can many times diagnose a bad regulator. But there are other problems such as bad switch boxes and other things. Get the starter fixed and then report back. You can disconnect spark plugs on each side to determine if that causes any change in the way the motor is running.
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

3. Member
    Also, running sea foam through the motor will not clean the carbs, the only proper way to clean a carb is to remove and take them apart.
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

4. Member
    Your '86 XR2 came standard with only a rectifier and no voltage regulator.

5. Member
    Need do spark check on all 6 plugs and identify the ones dead then go from there. If all firing move to fuel. Can get cheap inline spark tester local auto parts , should jump 7/16ths gap with nice blue spark

6. Member
    +1 ^^^^^^ and some later model xr2 had regulator on top of block 16 amp charging system
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

7. Member
    Awesome will keep you guys posted!

8. Member
    Update: this weekend I got the new starter installed and when I went to do a quick turn over the positive terminal on the battery started to smoke. I recharged it and cleaned the terminals one more time (already clean). I turned it over again and no smoke, but only a clicking sound from one of the solenoids? I’m circled in the pictures. With power on I have 12.4-12.8 volts present on the the solenoids as well as the bigger one coming from the battery (circled in yellow). I can’t get the starter to engage the flywheel. What should I test next? Also battery was bought last year 6/19 should still be good,but haven’t got it checked.

9. Member
    BRAND of new starter ?????? check all grnd cables
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

10. Member
    Caltric... and I looked at all the wires no bad ones and all the connections look clean. Trying to upload picture now

11. Member

12. Member

13. Member

14. Member
    blue solenoid is tilt nothing to do with starter

15. Member
    Mite try a voltage drop on main hot wire and ground , also give solenoid little tap with wrench or sumthin and c if that will bring it back. There should also b a fuse above the starter solenoid in the harness, if u arched anything mite b gud chance its blowed. Or u bought a bad starter. Always try get oem parts. I think EVERYONE needs quit getting parts from china
    Last edited by Merc2.4; 08-11-2020 at 06:55 AM.