Thread: Travel Reel

Travel Reel

I’m building a couple of setups to keep under the seat on my truck.

I have two Daiwa Ardito rods and the travel case/tube.

Looking for a compact bait cast reel that could possible fit in the travel case and can take a beating. Anyone ever hear of any baitcast reels with a quickly removable handle? Think how much space you could save if you could pop the handle off.

Doesn’t have to be cheap, but also doesn’t need to be the best reel on the market.

2. Banned
    Any specific brand that you prefer?

3. Member
    Not necessarily I have Shimano Curado 70s and Daiwa 100s and love them, but am interested if anyone has any ideas about something different for a travel setup or something with a quick release handle.

4. Member
    Not necessarily I have Shimano Curado 70s and Daiwa 100s and love them, but am interested if anyone has any ideas about something different even more compact for a travel setup or something with a quick release handle.

5. Banned
    Nothing that you can remove the handle quickly. If you are looking for a cheap reel with decent performance, get the Fuego CT or the SLX, even the Lews Speed Spool is a good beater.

6. Member
    It is usually just a screw and a nut to get a handle off. Carry a screwdriver and a nutdriver with you.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Transom View Post
    It is usually just a screw and a nut to get a handle off. Carry a screwdriver and a nutdriver with you.
    Not a bad suggestion, but not really looking to carry more stuff.

8. Member
    Don't know of a baitcast reel with quick detachable handle. For a low cost, high quality reel the Quantum Icon IC100HPT can be had for $50 from Amazon. It has been discontinued. List is $120. A quality reel even at $120. Quote from PhishLI: "You get a gear train build that Shimano doesn't offer until the Curado K, or Daiwa until the Zillion. It's beefier than Lew's P2 reels because they do not include a second bearing above the ARB on the driveshaft."

Unfortunately I haven't been out with mine yet. And not looking good to be getting out for a while. At least I am able to walk a short distance today. Even if it is with a lot of pain.