Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zelmo View Post
    This thread sure has opened my eyes.

Question - why are the Russian satellites turned on and off? Why are they not just part of system and “on”?
    Pretty sure it is cold war stuff. You never know if they are going to foul things up or just turn it off so the ability to turn it off is a just in case thing I am sure.
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by catch5nRide View Post
    This is all very good Detailed info. I had a external heading sensor connected to my helix 12 and I loved the ease of pulling right up and being a cast from my piles I diddnt have to try and line up the line was dead on I’ve upgraded to solix units I can still get on my piles but some days in some spots it might take me a cast or two to find them And I’m having to move the boat around waiting on my green line. With that being said do they make a cable to connect my heading sensor to solix?
    If you are talking about an AS GPS HS the cable to Solix is here:https://humminbird.johnsonoutdoors.c...splitter-cable

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bobcoy View Post
    If you are talking about an AS GPS HS the cable to Solix is here:https://humminbird.johnsonoutdoors.c...splitter-cable
    . That’s the cable I seen when I was on birds web sight I just wasn’t sure about all
    the bare wires im guessing I just tape them up and don’t use them?
    Bullet 21xrs & xdc

4. Member
    Yes the install instructions tell you all about it. Bob

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zelmo View Post
    This thread sure has opened my eyes.

Question - why are the Russians satellites turned on and off? Why are they not just part of system and “on”?
    It’s really a Trump - Russia Collusion thing. Haha I couldn’t resist. The Russians control those satellites and many people don’t want their info being tracked by a foreign government. We are allowed “access” to them but Russia controls everything about the satellites. Anytime you are using GPS, there is the possibility of your info being used by the government however they want. Like Bob said too, there is a little bit of “Cold War” aspect to it.
    Have a Blessed Day,
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mike2718 View Post
    It’s really a Trump - Russia Collusion thing. Haha I couldn’t resist. The Russians control those satellites and many people don’t want their info being tracked by a foreign government. We are allowed “access” to them but Russia controls everything about the satellites. Anytime you are using GPS, there is the possibility of your info being used by the government however they want. Like Bob said too, there is a little bit of “Cold War” aspect to it.

If you wrap the top of the graph with tin foil the Russians can’t track you!

What you really need to worry about is all your graphs have Chinese chips in them and they are selling your waypoints on the Dark Web

Your graph does not transmit to the GPS satellites it only receives the satellites signal
    "The handicapped angler"

7. Member
    LOL...But all your Bluetooth communications are being tracked
    Wes
    Helix 10 MSI+,MDI+,Ultrex IPilot
    2023 Phoenix 818
    Never assume there's a tomorrow

8. Member
    If you are packing a smartphone they got it all anyway! Save money on the aluminum foil. Where do you find tin foil anyway?

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MichAngler View Post
    If you wrap the top of the graph with tin foil the Russians can’t track you!

What you really need to worry about is all your graphs have Chinese chips in them and they are selling your waypoints on the Dark Web

Your graph does not transmit to the GPS satellites it only receives the satellites signal
    That’s a good one. You’re definitely right about those Chinese chips. I can’t think of much that isn’t made in China. The Dark Web can have my waypoints, most of them aren’t worth a darn anyway. As to the devices being tracked, it is very possible. I’m not sure about the Humminbird or other brand of units but some GPS devices can actually be tracked. I have a friend that is a NASA engineer and he said you would be surprised at how many devices actually have the ability to receive AND send signals that most people are not aware of. He said most of the devices do not have the sending aspect of the device “activated” but there is the ability they can be activated remotely. I guess it doesn’t matter anyway, Big Brother knows everything you’re doing. If someone is tracking me, that person is gonna be really bored.
    Have a Blessed Day,
    Mike

10. Member
    But but but you might have secret fishing spots.

11. Member
    I still can't find any! Michigan Angler? This link is just for reference: https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/...-foil-tin-foil

Quote Originally Posted by bobcoy View Post
    I still can't find any! Michigan Angler? This link is just for reference: https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/...-foil-tin-foil
    LOL I buy it from the same place you guys get your Huminbird Koolaid

BatCrapCrazy.com
    "The handicapped angler"

13. Member

And yes I got the reference in that link saying I’m old

So keep your dam cat off my lawn!

"The handicapped angler"

15. Member
    It was not age related. I am 75 and use the tin foil reference now and then. It was more of space oriented sarcasm.

LOL its all good!
    "The handicapped angler"

17. Member
    Speaking of the Chinese I am sure that they have their own satellites. I find it interesting that we can access the Russian system but not the Chinese.
    2006 Triton TR196 w/ 200 Optimax \ 2021 AlumaRyder 1860 w/ 200 Rotax

18. Member
    Just put up their last bird a month ago: China has launched the final satellite in its Beidou constellation that emulates the US Global Positioning System (GPS), marking a further step in the country's advance as a major space power.Jun 23, 2020

19. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    I just installed the Humminbird AS GPS HS puck on my boat and have a few items to report:

1. The number of satellites reported on the AS GPS HS is almost double the Solix internal GPS.
    2. At the time I was testing, there were many more satellites on the AS GPS HS showing a signal than on the Solix internal GPS.
    3. The AS GPS HS had double the satellites with a strong signal than the Solix internal GPS had.
    4. The Glonas Satellite setting has no impact on the number of satellites on the AS GPS HS but it doubled the number of satellites on the Solix internal GPS. Interestingly, all of the Glonas satellites showed zero signal so they were no help on the Solix internal GPS.
    5. The AS GPS HS seems to acquire the GPS signal quicker but I didn't do any specific timed testing to back this up... just seemed quicker.
    6. I really like being able to have the heading sensor supply the Heading to my navigation charts rather than using "course" data from the GPS. It seems more accurate and responsive.
    7. I also really like having the rate of turn data supplied by the heading sensor. I think this will really come in handy in my trolling so that I can be sure that my turns aren't so tight that I get some of my 4 lines crossed.

Bottom line, I'm glad I spent the $169 on eBay for the AS GPS HS. I already had one of the "Y" cables you need on the Solix... Left over from the Onix days where you needed it for the Bluetooth module to support the Humminbird remote. I really think this is a good addition and one that I probably should have done a long time ago.
    ---> Regards, Steve Yarbrough (AKA: SLYDoggieTN on YouTube)
    • Apex 19/16/13, Mega 360, and Mega Live
    • Minn Kota Ulterra Quest Trolling Motor
    • (2) Cannon Optimum Bluetooth Downriggers
    • Impulse Lithium Batteries... 36V 60AH for Trolling Motor, (2) 12V 120AH for Cranking & Electronics, 12V 60AH for Downriggers

20. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    I did a couple of satellite strength screen captures on the Solix & AS GPS HS with GLONAS both turned on and off. I have the AS GPS HS set up as my GPS (1) and the Solix Internal as GPS (2). You will see the following observations from the 4 pictures:

1. The AS GPS HS has much more signal strength across the board and has 10 satellites with very high signal strength while the Solix Internal GPS only has about 6 above half on the bars and none of them are as strong as the majority of the AS GPS HS signals.
    2. With GLONAS off (setting on the lower left of the screen), the Solix Internal GPS is picking up one more satellite than the AS GPS HS.
    3. With GLONAS on (setting on the lower left of the screen), the Solix Internal GPS picks up another 6 satellites, 4 of which are slightly above 50% strength. The AS GPS HS remains unchanged as it apparently doesn't support the GLONAS satellites.

All in all, I do think the overall performance of the AS GPS HS is better than the Internal Soloix GPS... but that's just a judgement call on my part.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ---> Regards, Steve Yarbrough (AKA: SLYDoggieTN on YouTube)
    • Apex 19/16/13, Mega 360, and Mega Live
    • Minn Kota Ulterra Quest Trolling Motor
    • (2) Cannon Optimum Bluetooth Downriggers
    • Impulse Lithium Batteries... 36V 60AH for Trolling Motor, (2) 12V 120AH for Cranking & Electronics, 12V 60AH for Downriggers

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast