Low Voltage Alarm on COLD start

I'm pretty sure it's been asked before, so my apologies.

2017 Mercury 200hp Pro XS Opti 2B524152

This alarm goes for maybe 3-4 seconds on the first cold start of the day only, after that, perfect. This has happened pretty well since new but lately maybe a tiny longer on the alarm. It's only cold first start.
    I have put in a new battery, charged fully before each outing 1000CCA RC180 MCA 1200 100AH but no change. Have checked all connections and battery connections are stacked correctly. Have checked isolation switch connections along with starter motor and solenoid connections. Charging system is running fine and showing on Vesell View when running. Battery Voltage with no load when charged is 12.9v.

Why only on that first start?, the colder the day the worse it is. If I start it, run for a 2 or 3 minutes, stop and start again, no problems at all.
    Last edited by thommo59; 07-20-2020 at 05:16 PM.
    2018 TRX 18. 2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8

Quote Originally Posted by thommo59 View Post
    I'm pretty sure it's been asked before, so my apologies.

2017 Mercury 200hp Pro XS Opti

This alarm goes for maybe 3-4 seconds on the first cold start of the day only, after that, perfect. This has happened pretty well since new but lately maybe a tiny longer on the alarm. It's only cold first start.
    I have put in a new battery, charged fully before each outing 1000CCA RC180 MCA 1200 100AH but no change. Have checked all connections and battery connections are stacked correctly. Have checked isolation switch connections along with starter motor and solenoid connections. Charging system is running fine and showing on Vesell View when running. Battery Voltage with no load when charged is 12.9v.

Why only on that first start?, the colder the day the worse it is. If I start it, run for a 2 or 3 minutes, stop and start again, no problems at all.
    BY pass that switch, bet the problem goes away
    Thank You Leon Pugh

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Please take a moment to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the REQUIRED info (serial number) when posting. Thanks!

Agreed- connect engine directly to cranking battery (preferably with clamp-on terminals as suggested in the "Batteries" post from the FAQ).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Please take a moment to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the REQUIRED info (serial number) when posting. Thanks!

Agreed- connect engine directly to cranking battery (preferably with clamp-on terminals as suggested in the "Batteries" post from the FAQ).
    Apologies Don, meant to do that in the original post, it's there now. I guess the feeling is even with clean connections at the master battery switch, the actual internals of the switch are not carrying the full current under cranking power?

And I already have clamp on terminals on the battery, have also tried direct to the studs on the battery.

Well I by passed the battery switch and went straight to the battery. Did a test start but just using the flusher and 99% improvement. This weekend is the test at 5am in the morning and it’s mid winter here. I’ll report back again after that and if all good, is it just a case of a new switch?

6. Banned
    I'm watching this thread... I've got a cold-hearted Opti 250 that acts the exact same way... I've had the battery load tested and they say it's in tip top shape... Dan

7. Member
    Battery switch needs to have equal or greater cranking rating as required by engine.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

Well, tested today with the switch by passed and perfect now. The switch that came on my 2018 Triton just doesn’t cut it. I just ordered a new one 1500amps for 10 secs at 12volts

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by thommo59 View Post
    Well, tested today with the switch by passed and perfect now. The switch that came on my 2018 Triton just doesn’t cut it. I just ordered a new one 1500amps for 10 secs at 12volts
    This is why I don't use a master cut-off switch on the START Battery.

I do use a switched breaker on the trolling motor batteries.
    I do have ALL of my ELECTRONICS running through a separate fuse panel, which has its main power controlled by a relay.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post

I do have ALL of my ELECTRONICS running through a separate fuse panel, which has its main power controlled by a relay.
    Exactly how mine is wired too.

Upside for folks using battery switches, at least with Blue Sea Systems, you can no longer buy a traditional battery switch with a cranking rating less than 900A. Neither Marinco nor Perko provide a cranking rating for their switches, just continuous and intermittent.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post

Great minds think alike. I set up mine this way too.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

Well I can confirm this was caused by the battery isolator switch. I replaced it with a Narva 1500 amp rated switch and today was the test. 5am, mid winter here and it’s perfect now.
    Thanks Leon Pugh