Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Chautauqua algae bloom......

Been reading alot about algae bloom on Chautauqua lake. What actually Is it and how often does it happen? Does it affect the fish at all. Thanks for any info.

2. Member
    A buddy and I went there for the first time last October and we've never seen anything like it. When I backed the boat down to launch, I was watching the gentleman at the ramp next to me in a Tundra with BFG T/A KO2s spinning all 4 wheels attempting to pull his boat out. The green sludge on the ramp was about an inch thick and looked like some new color from Crayola. When I pulled my trailer out, it looked like someone had spray painted it and the stuff dried instantly and was seriously hard to get off later. Just nasty.
    2016 Ranger RT188, Yamaha 115 sho, dual console, 80# Ultrex, hotfoot, networked HB Solix 10 & Helix 9, Mega 360. Powertech NRS3 18p, Atlas 4" jack plate.

Been there many times and it's basically looks like Pee soup color and it happens a bunch down the south end of the lake. Our club had a event there not long ago that I did not fish but good friend I talked to said it was just starting to happen but there was still some clear water mixed in so some off shore areas that were still ok to fish but I've seen bad to were there is no clear water.

4. Member
    it sucks and the fishing sucks,you need to find clear water,not sure what the fish are doing during it ,but I always struggle

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ammot23 View Post
    it sucks and the fishing sucks,you need to find clear water,not sure what the fish are doing during it ,but I always struggle
    Does anyone release a daily lake report on the conditions? Might drive up there wed but its 5hrs each way.

6. Member
    im not aware of a site,but I had a buddy there yesterday said it was spotty ,places it was dirty last week were clear this week,places that were clear last week were dirty this week ,fishing still seems to be good 21 ,18, 18 in tx yesterday

7. Member
    im not aware of a site,but I had a buddy there yesterday said it was spotty ,places it was dirty last week were clear this week,places that were clear last week were dirty this week ,fishing still seems to be good 21 ,18, 18 in tx yesterday
    Cool. Thanks man for help. Gonna go try it out.

Never used to have algae blooms like this before New York State started handing out Permits (like cotton candy to kids) to Lake Front Property Owner Associations to spray the lakes for weeds every year.
    No one can be wrong that often so it has to be deliberate.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Bass Tard View Post
    Never used to have algae blooms like this before New York State started handing out Permits (like cotton candy to kids) to Lake Front Property Owner Associations to spray the lakes for weeds every year.
    aint that the truth,been fishing that lake for 30 years,you would get a little turnover in September and it was gone in October,what they don't spray they are ripping out with the weed cutters,

10. Member
    The same exact thing has been happening on Honeoye Lake for years. Right now the water is the clearest I have seen in a long time, but most summers the whole lake looks like pea soup and spilled green paint. Sometimes it is even the toxic blue green variety. The weed cutters go through there all the time and leave lots of floating vegetation which washes up against the shore and decays.

11. Member
    Was just there last weekend it sucked. Algae bloom was awful fishing was slow. The weeds where dead and mucky. The lake has been on a down hill slide.

12. Member
    I don't think the pea soup affects the fishing.

13. Member
    what may be worse this than snot weed shit that showed up few years ago. just nasty. covers everything. cant even get a jig to come clean through it.
    Phoenix 618
    Evinrude ETEC 150
    Go Buckeyes
    Go Browns

Quote Originally Posted by kingfisher42 View Post
    what may be worse this than snot weed shit that showed up few years ago. just nasty. covers everything. cant even get a jig to come clean through it.
    I've found that the fish avoid it, at least they avoid touching a lure with that snot crap on it. Lamoka Lake is an example. Drag a football jig along the rocky bottom covered with the foul smelling black snot (and you can feel it as the jig comes through), and you'll haul water. Move over thirty feet to where there is none, drag the jig across the clean rocks, feeling the jig bounce through the rocks and you'll clean up on the fish.

Some of my best spots from days gone by are covered with it after 'de-weeding" and are now just like lifeless desert's.
    Last edited by OBT; 07-22-2020 at 05:56 PM.
    No one can be wrong that often so it has to be deliberate.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by basscat13 View Post
    Was just there last weekend it sucked. Algae bloom was awful fishing was slow. The weeds where dead and mucky. The lake has been on a down hill slide.
    Drove up last night(4hrs) just to fish today. My first time ever. It was terrible. We only caught 2 in 8hrs both were around 14in. We fished south end and north. Fished docks and weeds- mid depths to deep(10-12ft). Just a gut punch and long drive home.

16. Member
    I agree with this, that stuff was terrible. The deeper millfoil was great to fish but this stuff is definitely mixed in. Anyone been to Chautauqua lately? If so any suggestions what I did wrong today?

17. Member
    When I went up, we spent the night with every intention of fishing the second day. After how crappy the first day was, we left first thing in the morning the second day and headed over to Waneta/Lamoka and had a great day fishing docks. With so many great lakes in NY to choose from, I doubt I'll ever go back to Chautauqua.
    2016 Ranger RT188, Yamaha 115 sho, dual console, 80# Ultrex, hotfoot, networked HB Solix 10 & Helix 9, Mega 360. Powertech NRS3 18p, Atlas 4" jack plate.

18. Member
    don't beat yourself up over it,she can be picky at times,actually you hit it pretty bad with all the spraying and cutting going on,if you really enjoy fishing try it again mid October or next may into june,ive seen tornaments in the fall where 24-25 lbs didn't get you a check(of course that was years ago), as far as docks some are better than others ive proly fished every dock on that lake there are only certain stretches I will go back to,actually there is a stretch of about 30 and ill go in and hit only one of them and leave

19. Member
    don't beat yourself up over it,she can be picky at times,actually you hit it pretty bad with all the spraying and cutting going on,if you really enjoy fishing try it again mid October or next may into june,ive seen tornaments in the fall where 24-25 lbs didn't get you a check(of course that was years ago), as far as docks some are better than others ive proly fished every dock on that lake there are only certain stretches I will go back to,actually there is a stretch of about 30 and ill go in and hit only one of them and leave
    i have few docks like that there too. i have only been there in mid may and first week of june. i was thinking coming up this fall. when is normally a good time. i know depends on the weather. after frost does the green pea shit leave? lol
    Phoenix 618
    Evinrude ETEC 150
    Go Buckeyes
    Go Browns

20. Member
    i have few docks like that there too. i have only been there in mid may and first week of june. i was thinking coming up this fall. when is normally a good time. i know depends on the weather. after frost does the green pea shit leave? lol
    yes definatly after the fall turnover, the lake will clear some spots will get gin clear again and the fishing will turn on again unfotunatly do to the warm summer it mite be a little later,by the time mid to end of October it should be good again,if your brave and a die hard and the weather holds up,November can be spectacular,late august and September are always the worst for me,and you are correct may is a good month

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast