School me on jackplates

So I'm interested in adding a hydraulic jackplate to my boat. But, have no idea about setbacks and sizes and all that. I currently have a manual jackplate now but it is maxed all the way up, motor moved all the way up but I still need more lift for my p2p. I have a 2004 triton tr21x, yamaha vmax 3.1 fi ox66 225hp 26p tempest prop. Any info is appreciated thanks!

2. Banned
    If your maxed out something is off either mounted in the wrong holes or your way too high on p2p.

If your happy with how it running now change to a hydraulic with the same setback. I would make a post on the Triton form and ask guys that have one on the same hull.

3. Member
    How much set back on the plate? Is the 26" tempest stock or worked since they usually need some help right out of the box. That boat needs at least an 8" plate and I'd probably put a 10" on it. Do you have a lot of prop slip showing now. That V max should run a little higher than a mercury will.

4. Member
    right now i have a 6 inch. prop is stock, no work ever done to it. im currently 2 1/2 p2p. not sure i know what you mean by prop slip. jackplate is up as far as it will go and the motor has 4 holes and im in the very bottom one.

5. Banned
    Might ask on the Triton form and see where guys are running p2p on hulls like yours but 2 1/2 seems a little too high to me. I have never seen a motor mounted in the bottom holes but that dosen't mean it's wrong I just haven't seen it mine where in the second hole from the top.

https://www.mercuryracing.com/prop-slip-calculator/
    That will tell you the % your prop is slipping per revolution

6. Member
    As I said above you want an eight or ten inch plate a six is not enough set back on your boat. I have a 2004 TR 21 and run an eight inch hydraulic. Height wise depends on the prop but most try to run 2.5" and up. Height doesn't give you lift the prop does.

7. Member
    Thanks for all the input, I appreciate it

8. Member
    Once you get a hydraulic plate you can adjust prop to pad on the fly to suit conditions.