Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What pitch Bravo 1 XS?

I am going to pick up a Bravo 1 XS because I like the way a 4 blade handles on my boat. I have a Stratos 285 with a 175 Pro XS. I can turn a Tempest Plus 23p about 5950 RPMs in cooler temps and a Trophy Plus 24p 5920 RPMs. These numbers are by myself.

Which Bravo 1 XS should I be looking at?

Thank you for your help.

2. Scraps
    I believe it's pitch for pitch, same pitch. I'd say the 24P. I got a good price from Rothwell Marine on a Bravo. Some good advice too.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

3. Member
    I am not disagreeing with you, just looking at the other posts I have read...it seems guys have been going a pitch up. So you think a 24 is right instead of a 25?

4. Member
    Pitch up 1"-2" on the 2 stroke. The 25 is an extra cupped 24.
    Last edited by mdtritn21; 07-20-2020 at 07:59 PM.

Just remember the Bravo I is a tad bit larger diameter than any of the props you listed that you have ran, thus making it a little more stiff to turn compared to what you listed. Based on what you posted I say Bravo I XS 22.........Mike will be along shortly and he knows far more than me but lets see what he has to say.

6. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JR19 View Post
    Just remember the Bravo I is a tad bit larger diameter than any of the props you listed that you have ran, thus making it a little more stiff to turn compared to what you listed. Based on what you posted I say Bravo I XS 22.........Mike will be along shortly and he knows far more than me but lets see what he has to say.
    I'll be selling my 22 as soon as my 24 comes it.

Simply not true. You should pitch up when going from tempest/trophy to Bravo 1

Quote Originally Posted by Silkstringz View Post
    Simply not true. You should pitch up when going from tempest/trophy to Bravo 1
    The OP is turning a 23 Tempest and a 24 Trophy Plus to 5900 with a 175 pro XS so based on your statement he needs a Bravo I XS in a 24 or 25. I know this is totally off the topic but I want to know whats your opinion. If a person is turning a three blade 24 Raker to the correct rpm's what is the correct pitch for a four blade Renegade bass prop to turn similiar rpm's? Just curious as to what your answer is.

I would run a 24P Bravo1 XS... Unless your boat craves more bow lift, Then I'd get a 25P Bravo1 XS. Adjust venting to 3800 on holeshot.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

10. Member
    The OP is turning a 23 Tempest and a 24 Trophy Plus to 5900 with a 175 pro XS so based on your statement he needs a Bravo I XS in a 24 or 25. I know this is totally off the topic but I want to know whats your opinion. If a person is turning a three blade 24 Raker to the correct rpm's what is the correct pitch for a four blade Renegade bass prop to turn similiar rpm's? Just curious as to what your answer is.
    And he is correct. The Raker to renegade question is irrelevant. You can't just blanket 3 to 4 blade props. It depends one what 3 blade to what 4 blade.

First, it’s extremely important to know what 175 pro xs you’re referring to? I’m assuming a new 4 stroke, because a 2 stroke 175 pro xs max rpm is 5750. Secondly, definitely up pitch for the bravo 1. Depending on your current P2P you should be able to turn a 25 bravo close to your 24 trophy.

Lol...The 23 renegade and 24 raker will run very similar in rpm. Assuming you have the appropriate thrust washer for each. You can’t lump all 3-4 blade propellers together. Raker runs fairly true to pitch....if you were wanting to try a fury 3, you would want to drop a pitch simply because it turns very stiff even though it’s a 3 blade. If you want to run a bravo 1, you would need 1 more inch of pitch than your raker and 2 more than your fury. Even though it’s a “4 blade” it spins easy. I understand you’re just trying to help, but miss-information can cause someone a lot of headache and several hundred dollars.

13. RIP Evinrude 1907-2020 JR19's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Silkstringz View Post
    Lol...The 23 renegade and 24 raker will run very similar in rpm. Assuming you have the appropriate thrust washer for each. You can’t lump all 3-4 blade propellers together. Raker runs fairly true to pitch....if you were wanting to try a fury 3, you would want to drop a pitch simply because it turns very stiff even though it’s a 3 blade. If you want to run a bravo 1, you would need 1 more inch of pitch than your raker and 2 more than your fury. Even though it’s a “4 blade” it spins easy. I understand you’re just trying to help, but miss-information can cause someone a lot of headache and several hundred dollars.
    Majority of people who run a 24 Raker run a 25 Renegade to achieve similar rpm. This is due to the Renegade have a smaller diameter the the Raker and it's also a smaller diameter than most other 4 blade props.

Kind of like comparing a Trophy to a Bravo I both may be 25 pitch but the Trophy is 13.5" diameter and the Bravo I is 15.25" diameter so its more stiff to turn. There is a lot more than pitch that determines the rpm.

Quote Originally Posted by PMantle View Post
    And he is correct. The Raker to renegade question is irrelevant. You can't just blanket 3 to 4 blade props. It depends one what 3 blade to what 4 blade.
    Agree and that is why I preface the question with it being off the topic...so whats your answer?
    Last edited by JR19; 07-22-2020 at 05:53 PM.

14. RIP Evinrude 1907-2020 JR19's Avatar
    To the OP I am sorry if I got this thread off track. To get it back on track I would go buy reply #9. He has a ton of knowledge on props. I have seen him recommend a 22 or 23 multiple times for a 150/175/18ft bass boat combo. In fact it was done just a couple days ago...http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread....=#post11260596

I know a 22 Bravo I is what he recommended for my particular situation a few years ago (18' 9" boat with 150 HP turning 5600 on a 3 blade raker II) For some reason he says 24 or 25 this time and our boat are darn near the same size and with mine being an HO they are darn near the same HP. I am not questioning his reason so get a 24 or 25 Bravo I XS. I guarantee Mike knows far mare than I and in no way I calling him out, I actually praise the work he does here on the boards.

15. Member

Kind of like comparing a Trophy to a Bravo I both may be 25 pitch but the Trophy is 13.5" diameter and the Bravo I is 15.25" diameter so its more stiff to turn.
    This also is not true. It's as simple as diameter to diameter when comparing different models. You also go up in ourch from Trophy Plus to Bravo 1 XS.

16. RIP Evinrude 1907-2020 JR19's Avatar
    So far I am batting 1000 so the OP should disregard my remarks about going with whatever Mike says

Majority of people who run a 24 Raker run a 25 Renegade to achieve similar rpm. This is due to the Renegade have a smaller diameter the the Raker and it's also a smaller diameter than most other 4 blade props.

Kind of like comparing a Trophy to a Bravo I both may be 25 pitch but the Trophy is 13.5" diameter and the Bravo I is 15.25" diameter so its more stiff to turn. There is a lot more than pitch that determines the rpm.

Agree and that is why I preface the question with it being off the topic...so whats your answer?
    Diameter has little to do with it. A fury is a small diameter propeller and extremely stiff. Rake, cup, blade area, flare etc all play a factor as well. Someone has lied to you Gene. By the way, I spent a LOT of time with a javelin 389/150 fastrike combo and I sent a lot of money to Mr.Croxton testing different props. Save your money and headache and have your raker blueprinted and call it good. Not worth chasing that extra 1 mph.

We can agree to listen to Mr.Lohn. Not all 150/18ft combos are the same. A ranger 300 series will require a different pitch than a champion 181 etc... This is why it’s important to list your setup along with rpms and numbers. Regardless, the bravo xs will turn more rpms pitch for pitch than the tempest. 24 bravo 1xs would be a good choice, 25 bravo is the same peop as the 24 with taller cup, hence the reason he mentioned the bow lift.

18. RIP Evinrude 1907-2020 JR19's Avatar
    I guess its my memory that lied to me because I went back and looked at the PM from 2014 and he indeed did suggest a 24 or 25 Brovo I XS or FS for my specific application, so my mistake on my part for saying 22. I also talk to Mark Croxten on the phone about the same time and maybe it was him who recommended the 22 on a Razor 4 or Razor 4 XL but now that I think about it I cant recall who suggested a 22 four blade. Either way really does not matter, I cured my hole-shot with a foil and kept turning my 24 Raker II. I did get it BandB buy Mark a couple years ago after I had a small impact...sorry about the confusion. My mind is playing tricks on me and I would never intentionally point someone in the wrong direction...so thanks for clearing things up

19. Member
    Thanks to everyone for the information. I don’t mind at all that things got a little side tracked. One of the reasons I love this site is that sometimes people disagree and in the end everyone usually becomes a little more knowledgeable because of it.

To clarify my post, my motor is a 2018 175 Pro XS 2 Stroke. Max RPM on this motor is 6000. On the 150 it is 5750. I am 100% sure about this as it is stated in my manual.

Again, thank you to everyone for the information.
    Last edited by mcmanucr; 07-22-2020 at 11:11 PM.

20. Member
    Ordered a 24 Bravo 1 XS. It will arrive Tuesday. I will report back how it runs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast