Carpet replacement question!!

Hello

I am currently replacing carpet on a 1999 champion 191 DC. On the floor there are different pieces that seam together where the side and floor meet. Example under the seat there is a long strip that goes from seat platform to floor. Should the carpet be installed exactly the same? Or is it possible to do it all in one piece??

Its a cleaner look, the less seams you have. Plus, less chance of the carpet coming up at a seam. But, in some cases, you can't make it work unless you piece it. Whether you can do it in one piece is likely up to you. Can you work the carpet in place and glue, trim or cut and make it look as neat as you could if you pieced it? But, the short answer is theres nothing wrong with keeping it seamless, if you can.

3. Member
    Thank you, me and my husband have been arguing about that. Lol I was just afraid that if you don't get it glued really good at a 90 degree corner then it would eventually come undone.

4. Member
    I replaced mine just as it was with the seams on my Champion and have had no problems with mine coming loose, make sure you prep everything properly before gluing and use a quality glue

5. Member
    I generally stay out of the carpet threads but seams are fine if you pay close attention to the direction of the "Nap". If you get distracted and turn your replacement carpet pieces around, trying to get the most out of your carpet, and the Nap at the seam is in two different directions, the seam will always show. All carpet has a Nap direction. Personally, I draw arrows on the backing with a sharpe. I will be having a adult beverage, listening to Rush or something distracting, and screw up. Take all the time you need in fitting your replacement carpet. No stopwatches are going to be used. I usually glue mine down leaving the carpet a few inches "Wild" all the way around. Let the middle glue sit overnight then work the edges the next day. If your 191 has the thin aluminum trim at the edges in the cockpit I would glue just through the transition curve approaching the trim and let that sit overnight or till well set, then, work to the trim. A heat gun can be helpful relaxing the backing in the corners to help it elongate and fully adhere. Do not use the heat gun on the "Show Side". I hope this is helpful.

6. Member
    You have to use two pieces, you could use one but you will still be cutting in the area under the drivers and passengers seat. It's curved or pitched in the floor to aid the water into draining down the hole below the middle seat/walk through. I've done 100 of them, and another one coming in a week.
    2023 SCB 20EF
    2023 SCB CC 210LR

7. Member
    I put carpet in my boat a few years ago. I know I cut and glued but today I couldn't tell you where. I used good contact cement and made sure everything fit perfectly and it still looks great.
    1999 Triton TR-21
    Mercury 225 EFI SN: 0G885166