Question Fury 4 on 08' Cougar

I didnt want to hijack the other Fury 4 thread but am wondering what your options are for my set up. Has anyone ran the Fury 4 on an older Cougar? I have a 225 Opti and am in the process of getting a new prop. I have only used my aftermarket 4 blade 25P prop that came with my boat 5 years ago when I purchased it. I can get 72mph when loaded right. I am in the process of replacing the LU and am leaning towards trying a 25P 3 blade Fury but am also considering the 4 blade Fury.

What is your opinion on my set up?

I think the fury 4 has way to much bow lift on my 03 cougar, above 73 chine walk is much worse, this is with a 250psx and TK II case, did not like it at all. Also I think the Fury 3 is also to much bow lift but much better than the 4. I have given this a lot of thought and I am going to try a Promax as it should lift the stern better, and I am betting it will drive much better and may very well be a little faster with a longer pad pad area in the water but less total surface area, The ski (pad) should not be running as deep, Will know the answer in a week or so
    Which gear case are you going to install, I would recommend a Torkmaster for the best overall performance and have Ronnie Gilbert rework the Fury 3 25 for it , should get you 73 to 75 mph at about 5700 rpm and a much improved holeshot, after he does his magic the motor can be lifted about 1/2 inch higher
    Last edited by lpugh; 07-23-2020 at 12:09 AM.
    Thank You Leon Pugh

3. Member
    Unfortunately there is nobody up here in Ontario that I am aware of that can do prop work like Ronnie. Between the exchange rate and astronomical shipping costs to send it to him, it is cost prohibitive. One could actually buy another prop for that same expense.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

I played and kept a 25/4 on my puma with a 250 pro xs and manual plate. I would look into a 24/4 for that rig. Thats what I ran on my caracal with a 225 and it topped out about 71. I would think the cougar hull will be a touch faster, maybe 72-73 with your set up. You could try a 25 but I don't think the hole shot will be as good. The 4 blades Ive tested needed to be run about 3/8" lower on my puma with a slidemaster manual plate. They provide a ton of stern lift, and you can get a hair more trim out of them over the 3 blade. They drive more flat and nose down, bite and steer hard. Good luck.
    "the head, the tail, the whole damn thing"

5. Member
    I have an '08 Cougar with a 225 opti. I like the way mine handles the best with the Fury 25 3 blade. My prop has been in the shop a couple times over the last nine years from getting dinged. Top end is 72-74 depending on load and water conditions, the Tempest plus 25 also performed well but I prefer the Fury.

Thanks for the responses. I got my Fury 4 yesterday and am hoping to try it out this weekend.

hows your holeshot with the fury 4 blade? top end? Currently looking to improve holeshot on a 2004 cougar ftd w/ 225 optimax.
    "Any pizza is a personal pizza if you believe in yourself"