Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Caymas cx20 Chine walk!!!

I recently purchased a new Caymas cx20 and it will China walk very bad at 62-64. I can run it with myself only or with weight evenly distributed and it chine walks either way. Are you guys seeing the same thing? I have a merc 250.

2. Member
    Honestly, I havent seen that in my cx 20 pro. I might just be so used to driving though,that i didnt notice. You may need to just bump down the trim ever so slightly.

Welcome to BBC, and the Caymas board.
    Last edited by billproxs; 07-18-2020 at 10:22 AM.

3. BBC SPONSOR
    Mine chimes slightly, but at much higher speeds than low 60's. If you are out of the break in period try raising the motor a little at a time.

4. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Buck456 View Post
    Mine chimes slightly, but at much higher speeds than low 60's. If you are out of the break in period try raising the motor a little at a time.
    This^^^^^

5. Member
    I have the motor raised. What level trim are you all running at higher speeds? Maybe I’m trimming it up to much?

6. Banned
    You can over trim.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CaymasMan250 View Post
    You can over trim.
    Yes sir, you get the nose up so high it actually catches wind to much, bump her down just a bit and i bet it straightens out.

8. BBC SPONSOR
    Me running lithium batteries I don't feel I can trim to high, but all set ups can be a little different.

9. Member
    Me running lithium batteries I don't feel I can trim to high, but all set ups can be a little different.
    Looking at lithium, what kind you running? Looking at Dakota with 11 year warranty ah 100 from amazon

10. Member
    Hello Gentlemen,

Please don't take this wrong but regardless of the brand of boat you are running you need to learn how to control the chine walk and stop it from happening before you start tinkering with the setup. Otherwise you start raising your motor and spending money on props that are actually wrong for your rig. When you raise your motor enough to stop the chine walk it is only stopping because your hull is no longer lifting out of the water like it should causing more slip and a flatter running boat and less efficiency. Learn to control it, then you can set it up correctly and you will be overall much happier with the overall performance of the boat.
    Chris Coupel
    Paulina, La.

11. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by RangerRodney View Post
    Looking at lithium, what kind you running? Looking at Dakota with 11 year warranty ah 100 from amazon
    I'm on my 4th year with 3 100ah Battle Born's with a 10 year warranty. I'm very satisfied with the battiers.

12. Member
    I'm on my 4th year with 3 100ah Battle Born's with a 10 year warranty. I'm very satisfied with the battiers.
    Where did you get them, don’t remember seeing them in Amazon

13. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by shapfromla View Post
    Hello Gentlemen,

Please don't take this wrong but regardless of the brand of boat you are running you need to learn how to control the chine walk and stop it from happening before you start tinkering with the setup. Otherwise you start raising your motor and spending money on props that are actually wrong for your rig. When you raise your motor enough to stop the chine walk it is only stopping because your hull is no longer lifting out of the water like it should causing more slip and a flatter running boat and less efficiency. Learn to control it, then you can set it up correctly and you will be overall much happier with the overall performance of the boat.
    I agree with some of this. However with the boats I've owned if you are to deep they seem to chime worse. What I've found when I get them set up and running close to optimal they all have settled down to more of a manageable chime in my experiences. I run my motor up to the point I start loosing speed. When I start to loose speed I lower the motor slightly. I have no issue driving a boat that chimes. I've been running them for years.

Also.. I didn't take what you said wrong, as I hope you didn't take what I said wrong. Just thought I would share my experiences.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shapfromla View Post
    Hello Gentlemen,

hate to disagree with you but this is simply not true with all boat brands. Some will chime walk more than others but there are a few brands that perform at very high speeds that simply do not chime walk bad if at all. This response is not meant to start a boat brand war but I've been in them all, and there are a few that your wife can drive WOT and it not walk at all. That is the one I choose to own. I just refuse to "learn how to drive it", or "drive through it" as some love to say. Not necessary!

15. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by GOFISH$ View Post
    hate to disagree with you but this is simply not true with all boat brands. Some will chime walk more than others but there are a few brands that perform at very high speeds that simply do not chime walk bad if at all. This response is not meant to start a boat brand war but I've been in them all, and there are a few that your wife can drive WOT and it not walk at all. That is the one I choose to own. I just refuse to "learn how to drive it", or "drive through it" as some love to say. Not necessary!
    Those would be boats that don’t go fast enough to chine walk, those are for women and old men!

16. Member
    Those would be boats that don’t go fast enough to chine walk, those are for women and old men!
    Old man here been running Rangers for a while, BUT after i get them set the way i want you have to drive those as well. Guys i use to drag race bass boats in my younger dumber days lol, i had a 20 tunnell hull STV bass boat with nitrous that would clip a quarter at 113, no chime walk at all, you just had to watch the front end getting to high at 550 pounds it would get light on the bow

I have always went the extra mile getting my rigs set up, prop Blue printed and balanced by Mark fitted to my boat and how i had it loaded.

17. Member
    Once above 65-66 mph most performance boat will start to chine and you usually will have to add some steering input.
    If your getting severe chine at 62 mph you have the possibility of two issues. 1. Your jack plate is too low. 2. Your over trimming.
    I know of two manufacturers that don't chine much at those speeds (even slightly faster), and thats Ranger and Skeeter. Skeeters new FXR will chine and requires drivers input to get maximum performance.

Caymas are faster boats. To get maximum performance, you will need to learn to drive the chine.
    If you are not familiar with chine, here is a good article explaining it and driving.
    https://basscat.com/forum/groups/bas...my-experience/

Every boat responds different, but this will give you a base line to start getting maximum performance out of your rig.

Don
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

18. Member
    Nope: 73 tourney loaded and no chime walk whatsoever. That's fast enough for me and my kid can drive it. Again, Skeeters and some Rangers do this all day. Continue to "drive through it", "add some steering", or "learn to drive it" it you desire.

19. Member
    Cough..Skeeter..Cough

20. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by RangerRodney View Post
    Old man here been running Rangers for a while, BUT after i get them set the way i want you have to drive those as well. Guys i use to drag race bass boats in my younger dumber days lol, i had a 20 tunnell hull STV bass boat with nitrous that would clip a quarter at 113, no chime walk at all, you just had to watch the front end getting to high at 550 pounds it would get light on the bow

I have always went the extra mile getting my rigs set up, prop Blue printed and balanced by Mark fitted to my boat and how i had it loaded.
    You use to drag race boats and you still call it chime walk instead of chine?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast