New power heads on relatively new boats?

My boat motor finally gave out after 30yrs. I've been shopping for used boats for about a month and have noticed a large number of the outboards have had to be repowered with 300 or fewer hours. I would expect a new 250hp engine to last me 20 years for the price you pay for it. Why all the blown 5 yr old engines?

2. Novice Boaters Forum Moderator jclark408's Avatar
    lots of maintenance required around injectors, air pumps, warming it up properly, etc............hard to say for fact as each situation has its own unique story
    ------Co-founder of Post Derailment, LLC---------

3. Member
    Lots of turning and burning..... lots of factors play into this poor maintenance, no warm up or cool down, running WOT for 30minutes through anything.
    These newer engines have a lot more tech, but imagine if everyone turned on their pickup and pointed it down the highway and just held it to the floor the whole way to their destination, some would say that’s crazy if you believe it would last. Lots of guys have a lot of hours on motors with few issues
    2019 Ford F-150 Platinum (3.5EcoBoost/10spd)
    **Listed FOR SALE**2014 Ranger Z119C w/ Evinrude ETEC 225HO Running Croxton’s Razor 4XL 25P
    Helix 12 Mega G2N’s with Ultrex
    Think like a fish, no matter how weird it gets

4. Member
    Agree with both #2 and #3. Newer motors run leaner and lot less oil with much tighter tolerance when put together. All those combined make for a bad situation unless you follow your manufacturer instructions on recommended everything.

5. Member
    Not allowing the motor to warm up before jumping on it,every time, is probably the most common factor. Known as cold sieze.

6. Member
    I would agree with not letting them warm up. Mercury clearly says 120 degrees before every take off. Just letting them warm up at daylight then ripping on them the rest of the day your asking for problems. I also believe some folks get them trimmed up to high at high RPM for long periods of time. Unless you have a low water pickup lower unit the water pump is loosing continuous pressure again over heating the motor. Maybe not hot enough to set off an alarm but its shortening the motors lifespan. This is just persons opinion some may disagree.

7. Member
    Nothing wrong with running WOT after a good warm up.
    I run my 1.5L opti hard every trip out, over 2600hrs only issue was a idle missfire cured by ecm replacement

My Evinrude XP 150 turned 31 this Summer.
    -Replaced OEM starter 1 month ago.
    -OEM power pack was replaced 1 year ago.
    -VRO disabled.. I mix 40:1 instead of 50:1.
    -Threw a set of new Champion plugs in her yesterday.

Her, and I are in a competition who will last longer...lol

1998 Stratos 285 Pro
    1989 Evinrude XP 150(E150STLCEM)(08199802)
    2004 Ford Explorer NBX V8
    1998 Jeep XJ 4.0L V6
    House Cat named Patches
    Remington 700, Old Cooey 12 gauge, A lot of Fishing Rods
    Some tools, garden hose with outboard attachment, 3 crow decoys, 8 Track Tape player,
    A Billy Bass, and clothing from the 80's.