Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Megabass P5 Xbites review!

I went deeeep on this one. Its an amazing rod. I can't stop using it.

I come from the land of the ice and snow.
    YouTube: PunchFishing

2. Member
    These rods look like they're amazing. I cast two handed though, so I just can't get past that little nub on the butt.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tywithay View Post
    These rods look like they're amazing. I cast two handed though, so I just can't get past that little nub on the butt.
    Hah, it's perfectly fine.

4. Member
    I'm assuming the P5 carries the same warranty as the US Destroyers. Count me out, 2 Daemos and FMJ snapped within 2yrs now going to cost me $320 to replace. The P5's $200 each after the first year, hope the new blanks are more durable. Good video.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by punch View Post
    Hah, it's perfectly fine.
    Eh, I've used rods with a similar design. It's enough that I won't buy another.

6. Member

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RFeyoMN View Post
    That's actually really interesting. I do presentations at work and now I'm going to be trying to catch myself doing this. Thanks!

8. Banned
    Im with you i have old mb rods from japan that ive abused for years went through 6 destroyers in 4 months theyve lost my interest completely wont even consider buying one it sucks because they were good sticks just super brittle in the tip section even the spinning rods i broke a addermine with 6lb shooter thats ridiculous in my mind

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickworm420 View Post
    Im with you i have old mb rods from japan that ive abused for years went through 6 destroyers in 4 months theyve lost my interest completely wont even consider buying one it sucks because they were good sticks just super brittle in the tip section even the spinning rods i broke a addermine with 6lb shooter thats ridiculous in my mind
    I feel the same way. Megabass was by far my favorite rods. Had a bunch of older models with zero issues, then bought the new Destroyers and they're just pure junk. I've had a ton of breakage issues with them and I do not abuse my stuff. You get one free then after that you have to pay. No thanks, I'm done with Megabass for good. The quality control is shit now on these new rods.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbassman View Post
    I feel the same way. Megabass was by far my favorite rods. Had a bunch of older models with zero issues, then bought the new Destroyers and they're just pure junk. I've had a ton of breakage issues with them and I do not abuse my stuff. You get one free then after that you have to pay. No thanks, I'm done with Megabass for good. The quality control is shit now on these new rods.
    Which models broke on you? Just curious.

11. Member
    Thanks for the great in-depth review! I was initially turned off by this rod because I am not a fan of extra fast actions and assumed this rod was in that category. After your review I now want this rod!

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by punch View Post
    Which models broke on you? Just curious.
    Addermine and Flyssa. Flyssa broke before I even had a chance to fish with it. Had it in a rock sock, put in my rod locker and snap. It was a replacement for a replacement and MB said oh well, give us another $160.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by coreynov902 View Post
    Thanks for the great in-depth review! I was initially turned off by this rod because I am not a fan of extra fast actions and assumed this rod was in that category. After your review I now want this rod!
    Yeah, it's got a pretty deep bend for "extra fast". FMJ is extra fast IMHO, this rod is not.

14. Member

15. Member
    this is why I will never go back to Megabroke rods, way too fragile.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phippy View Post
    2004 Stratos 295 Pro XL
    2004 Mercury 3.0 L EFI 200 HP SN: 0T908560
    Standard/Servicemaster Lower 859399T13

16. Banned
    Yeah maybe they should go back to having balenced rods that are slightly heavier than these thin walled peice of shit rods with a garbage warranty there baits will always have a place in my boat rods are completely too britle i hope more people read this and megabass goes back to the drawing board because this is getting ridiculous starting to seem like there not testing there rods anymore

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickworm420 View Post
    Yeah maybe they should go back to having balenced rods that are slightly heavier than these thin walled peice of shit rods with a garbage warranty there baits will always have a place in my boat rods are completely too britle i hope more people read this and megabass goes back to the drawing board because this is getting ridiculous starting to seem like there not testing there rods anymore
    The P5 rods are incredibly balanced.

18. Member
    There’s (9) 2017 destroyers on my boat with some dating back to the initial release. I have had zero failures

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KMcClure View Post
    There’s (9) 2017 destroyers on my boat with some dating back to the initial release. I have had zero failures
    I’m with you, I own several megabass rods and have never had one break on me. Of the rods I have had break, I’ll admit they were almost all my own fault.

I have the P5 X-Bites, along with several other P5's and they have been outstanding and a real pleasure to use. I've also owned and fished the US Destroyers since they first came out. I've had one Valdiva failure, but that was a prototype rod. In my opinion, if a blank breaks after a year of use, it is not the result of a manufacturing defect. Typically, rod blank breaks that are actually a result of a manufacturing flaw show up in the first few uses.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast