Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronzefly View Post
    In my opinion, if a blank breaks after a year of use, it is not the result of a manufacturing defect. Typically, rod blank breaks that are actually a result of a manufacturing flaw show up in the first few uses.
    100%

2. Member
    I have the P5 X-Bites, along with several other P5's and they have been outstanding and a real pleasure to use. I've also owned and fished the US Destroyers since they first came out. I've had one Valdiva failure, but that was a prototype rod. In my opinion, if a blank breaks after a year of use, it is not the result of a manufacturing defect. Typically, rod blank breaks that are actually a result of a manufacturing flaw show up in the first few uses.
    If you fish heavy throughout the season then yes but my season is only 6 months typically 2 days a week. Not much water time if I say so especially on the Daemos, two have snapped from no abuse what so ever same can be said for FMJ. You know I've owned many MB rods in the past with zero breaks I'm just going to pawn this off as MB had a run of faulty blanks some breaking earlier than others. For the record I miss my FMJ can't for the replacement to arrive, Daemos is gone.

3. Member
    I have the P5 X-Bites, along with several other P5's and they have been outstanding and a real pleasure to use. I've also owned and fished the US Destroyers since they first came out. I've had one Valdiva failure, but that was a prototype rod. In my opinion, if a blank breaks after a year of use, it is not the result of a manufacturing defect. Typically, rod blank breaks that are actually a result of a manufacturing flaw show up in the first few uses.
    I'll agree with you Gary. However, the 3 I've had break broke within the first month of use. Clearly a defect in the construction, material or both. When that happens on multiple occasions and you get 1 free replacement and your replacement does the same. That is the part I have issue with as they will not back the replacement product.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbassman View Post
    I'll agree with you Gary. However, the 3 I've had break broke within the first month of use. Clearly a defect in the construction, material or both. When that happens on multiple occasions and you get 1 free replacement and your replacement does the same. That is the part I have issue with as they will not back the replacement product.

Same here. My super destroyer from the “new destroyer” series prior to P5 broke on a nothing burger dink within the first few months. Got the warranty replacement and it broke on a hook set before I even took the plastic off the cork. Threw that one in the trash without feeing like dealing with their warranty form a second time. Also, what was I going to do? Break a third one. I wasn’t going to try to sell it to someone knowing it will break. I have had about 12 or more P3 and earlier MB rods with no issues. Also have had no issue with a Valkyrie. No way this problem was limited to the Lavante series that was taken off the shelves and has never returned.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by punch View Post
    I went deeeep on this one. Its an amazing rod. I can't stop using it.
    now that u've had substantial time on the water with this rod, would u choose it over the legend x 7'1MH?

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chode View Post
    now that u've had substantial time on the water with this rod, would u choose it over the legend x 7'1MH?
    Mmmm good question. The Xbites is definitely more powerful and the legend had a way softer tip. I'd probably lean Xbites because it can handle up to 5/8ths jigs really well and is awesome at dragging 1/2oz football jigs.
    I come from the land of the ice and snow.
    YouTube: PunchFishing

7. Member
    Mmmm good question. The Xbites is definitely more powerful and the legend had a way softer tip. I'd probably lean Xbites because it can handle up to 5/8ths jigs really well and is awesome at dragging 1/2oz football jigs.

8. Member
    Hope you get a chance to do a review on the p5 spinning models.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Real Pudd legend View Post
    Hope you get a chance to do a review on the p5 spinning models.
    I got a landsat that I've been using.

10. Member
    Seems like a lot of currently made MB rods have had breakage issues. Just look at the Levante line being pulled. I have 3 of the Orichi XX rods and 2 destroyer rods that are well over 5 years old with no issues. Seems to me like when MB got bigger and more popular their quality and durability of their builds suffered. I love my MB rods but likely won’t be buying any of the new release stuff.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kickerfish1 View Post
    Seems like a lot of currently made MB rods have had breakage issues. Just look at the Levante line being pulled. I have 3 of the Orichi XX rods and 2 destroyer rods that are well over 5 years old with no issues. Seems to me like when MB got bigger and more popular their quality and durability of their builds suffered. I love my MB rods but likely won’t be buying any of the new release stuff.
    If they don’t break on the first hookset, they are good to go. Unfortunately I had a BUNCH of Levantes and a few Orochis bend over like wet noodles on that first hookset. The others have been fantastic though

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kickerfish1 View Post
    I'm out on megabass too. I had a gen 2 xx bust and hear of so many breaking especially the Diablo and destroyers then the recall on the lavantes so im out. Sounds like mb has lost a lot of loyal customers

Quote Originally Posted by bronzebacks View Post
    I'm out on megabass too. I had a gen 2 xx bust and hear of so many breaking especially the Diablo and destroyers then the recall on the lavantes so im out. Sounds like mb has lost a lot of loyal customers
    It may sound like it, but their customer base is actually growing, and I know a lot of loyal Megabass rod guys. Every manufacturer has issues with certain lines, certain models, etc. from time to time. Megabass has experienced significant growth over the past few years and their customers have high expectations. They knew a couple models in the Levante line had problems, but they chose to remove ALL of them. That was a respectable decision as far as I'm concerned. There are still a bunch of those Levante rods out there fishing every day and performing beautifully for a rod at that $199 price point.

Quote Originally Posted by Polkfish1 View Post
    Same here. My super destroyer from the “new destroyer” series prior to P5 broke on a nothing burger dink within the first few months. Got the warranty replacement and it broke on a hook set before I even took the plastic off the cork. Threw that one in the trash without feeing like dealing with their warranty form a second time. Also, what was I going to do? Break a third one. I wasn’t going to try to sell it to someone knowing it will break. I have had about 12 or more P3 and earlier MB rods with no issues. Also have had no issue with a Valkyrie. No way this problem was limited to the Lavante series that was taken off the shelves and has never returned.
    I had a 2016 Super Destroyer from the time they came out, fished the heck out of it, caught a bunch of good fish in close quarters with big jigs, frogs, etc. I sold mine to a friend about a year ago and it is still going strong. Like you, I've been fishing Megabass rods for a very long time now and have had very few failures, even with the current models, P5's which are awesome by the way. I've already had some good times with the Madbull paired with a Zillion 10 throwing buzz baits and ribbit toads... X-Bites paired with a Steez CT and a 1/2 oz Keitech jig WOW!

Quote Originally Posted by jdbassman View Post
    I can understand your dissatisfaction with the Megabass warranty policy. It is their policy to make however, not mine, and it is spelled out clearly in black and white on their own website for everyone to read before they make a purchase. I have and continue to educate folks about it, especially those considering the purchase of a used Megabass rod. We do everything we can to assist our customers regardless the manufacturer. I will say however that the VAST majority of guys fishing even the "discontinued" Levante series rods, XX rods, and US Destroyers have been exceedingly happy with them and haven't had these kinds of failures. Just like anything, especially these days, you hear from the extremely vocal minority first.

Quote Originally Posted by Phippy View Post
    If you fish heavy throughout the season then yes but my season is only 6 months typically 2 days a week. Not much water time if I say so especially on the Daemos, two have snapped from no abuse what so ever same can be said for FMJ. You know I've owned many MB rods in the past with zero breaks I'm just going to pawn this off as MB had a run of faulty blanks some breaking earlier than others. For the record I miss my FMJ can't for the replacement to arrive, Daemos is gone.
    Mike - I understand your frustration, however, I'll respectfully disagree. Even if you fish 2 days a week for 6 months, and a rod blank breaks a year later, it was not a manufacturing defect.

14. Member
    I really enjoy your reviews. There's not much in depth bass rod reviews out there. Keep up the great work.

On the subject of Megabass rods I was ready to order the Levante Jerkbait Special and the series was pulled. With that happening, I seriously thought about the Orochii XX equivalent and read the US Destroyer breakage issues and decided I didn't want to take a chance on it. To be fair, there doesn't seem be nearly the issues with the Orochii lineup, however there is so many other rods out there with some of them having a better warranty. I've read that Megabass USA has great customer service and do applaud them for pulling the Levante series.

15. Member
    Thank you for the in depth rod reviews I enjoy your Youtube channel. I have a first generation perfect pitch in the levante line I beat the snot out of no issues. Just ordered 3 more MB rods from Gary at TT awesome service!!

16. Member
    I had 2 Warhammers that broke just after stringing line on them. The third just broke while fighting a fish this weekend. It doesn’t fit in the rod locker so stays on the deck or on the passenger side rod rack. While it’s still under warranty I think it’s gonna have some significant cost. Also had a Oneten that broke first trip out first fish. My Orochi XX have been great but this might be it for the high end stuff. Other than those 4 MB I haven’t broken a rod in many yrs.
    2005 Ranger 520DVX w/ 225 Yamaha SHO

17. Member
    Thanks for the feedback and for watching! Appreciate it.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rfdong View Post
    I had 2 Warhammers that broke just after stringing line on them. The third just broke while fighting a fish this weekend. It doesn’t fit in the rod locker so stays on the deck or on the passenger side rod rack. While it’s still under warranty I think it’s gonna have some significant cost. Also had a Oneten that broke first trip out first fish. My Orochi XX have been great but this might be it for the high end stuff. Other than those 4 MB I haven’t broken a rod in many yrs.
    Man that's crazy. So right after u put line on, both rods snapped in half?

19. Member
    Man that's crazy. So right after u put line on, both rods snapped in half?
    Strung line, gave it a LITTLE tug and it was like a gunshot in my garage. TWICE! Scared the bejeezus outta my wife who happened to be in the garage. Third one went a year and a half (light use as I’m not a huge puncher) but I was doing more punching this year. Hooked a 4lber at Clear the other day and pow. Guess it’s my fault at this point, but I don’t feel like it got abused at all. I know originally MB got a bad shipment (what I recall being said at the time. As the Oneten and Warhammer were bought when those rods first came out). But while I liked both rods probably won’t risk it again with their more limited warranty and those prices. They were very good to deal with I must say but it’s a PIA.
    2005 Ranger 520DVX w/ 225 Yamaha SHO

20. Member
    Would the X-Bite be a good dedicated senko & 3/8oz Jig rod?

Thanks all!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast