Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

No More Squeaky Trailer!

Hey guys - after reading a previous thread about Nitro Trailers, I took a chance and ordered the following part(s) on etrailer.com:

Dexter Heavy Duty Suspension Upgrade Kit for Single Axle Trailers - Double Eye Springs - Item # K71-358-00

Without a doubt, this took nearly every ounce of squeak off of my trailer. I'm sure I'll have to re-grease regularly, but man, I am shocked at how quiet my trailer is now. Definitely worth it for $73.92!!

Installation was a little tricky, but if you know how to get around a trailer's leaf spring/axle and have the tools needed, it's worth the effort.
    “Without uncompromising faith, no miracle can ever occur.” - Stan Kellner

Good to hear. I am thinking I will order mine with the new equalizer as soon as my boat gets in.

Looks like its about $300-$400 on a tandem with the equalizer.

Any tips on installing.
    Last edited by BMCD; 07-17-2020 at 04:04 PM.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BMCD View Post
    Good to hear. I am thinking I will order mine with the new equalizer as soon as my boat gets in.

Looks like its about $300-$400 on a tandem with the equalizer.

Any tips on installing.
    Highly recommend it. Tips - take the wheels off of course, you'll need multiple jacks and chunks of wood to raise the jacks off the ground, a punch to get old bolts and bushings out, put oil in where the bushings go before putting bushings in, put oil inside the bushings before putting wet bolts in, and be ready to "McGyver" a few things. I really struggled getting the leaf spring to line up correctly to allow the wet bolts to go through. I ended up having to remove the u-bolts/bracket that holds the leaf spring to the axle in order to get everything to line up. Not a big deal, but made it more time consuming.

4. Member
    Congrats, to the OP!

I've put wet bolts on a few trailers. The best way I found was to put the boat in the water and beach it, or have someone else take the boat out for a bit. Most people do one side at a time with the boat on the trailer. Lots of weight and shifting once the springs are disconnected making the front and rear eye hangers tough to re-align.

If you can't do it at the lake, then putting the entire trailer (both sides) on jack stands with the tongue on the hitch and the trailer jack still deployed, is my second choice. If you have access to four jack stands and a floor jack then you should be okay. (Two floor jacks is even better.) Both sides on jack stands relieves the entire axle of bearing the weight and avoids binding. At least it does for me.

Haha isn't it weird how you need to wrestle it some
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

6. Member
    I ordered a full Dexter kit for a tandem a few days ago...looking forward to reducing or eliminating the squeaking. Hopefully installing this weekend.

Good luck.

-Jonathan
    Jonathan Adkins
    2022 Nitro Z21xl 250 ProXS4S
    HDSLive12s/Ghost/AT2/G360

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lkmbjb502 View Post
    I ordered a full Dexter kit for a tandem a few days ago...looking forward to reducing or eliminating the squeaking. Hopefully installing this weekend.

Good luck.

-Jonathan
    Hope all goes well with installation. Let us know how it goes.

Best price and which kit to get would be helpful.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

9. Member
    The kit I picked up was the - Dexter K71-652-00 Complete Tandem Kit - which is the 33" axle spacing, 6000lb kit - it is the smallest/lightest kit with the EZ flex equalizer (pseudo suspension) - which is supposed help smooth rough roads. I saw it recommended on the Phoenix forum by several guys to help with tire wear. I wasn't having any odd wear issues but with the amount of miles (probably 100k since 2011, I trailer a lot) on my trailer and all of the squeaks/rattles thought it might be a good idea. Dexter and others manufacturers make kits with new shackles and equalizers that are exactly the same as the Nitro factory ones - and they are cheaper than this one. This kit was $293 on Amazon Prime (free shipping its pretty heavy) - and this was the best price I found. All of the shackle bolts are "wet" bolts and have zerk fittings on the ends as does the equalizer - this is supposed to help with wear and noise.

The kit came yesterday - the box was torn a little and all of the hardware was loose in the box - but everything was there. I started on it this AM - hoping to knock it out before the triple digit heat indexes hit - one of my buddies made a similar swap on his racecar trailer and said it was "...like changing a tire - not a problem..." - well it was NOT like changing a tire. Not horrible but can definitely be a PITA likely depending on how old your trailer is. Mine is a 2011 - and with those miles, grime, road salt, rust - it was a bear getting some of the factory shackle bolts loose even with impact tools - Liquid Wrench is your friend. After fighting it for several hours - I was able to complete one side. Like so many things I am pretty sure I can do the other side in about half the time (tomorrow/this week). It really isn't too bad but can be difficult wrestling everything around and getting the bolts to line up. Having quality safe jack stands is required - and multiple jacks is very helpful.

Once I pulled everything apart - I was really glad I decided to replace the shackles. All of the factory bushings in the end of the springs were totally worn through/gone. Several of the shackles end plates holes were no longer round but very oval - and 1 had almost worn/torn through the end plate. One bolt was worn flat by about 25-30% - and had been wearing - metal on metal for many miles/years. Some of these issues might have been ok for years to come - but maybe not. If you plan to keep your boat/trailer setup for multiple years - it might be worth checking the wear on these items.

Once I complete the other side and get some miles on it I will report back - hopefully with fewer squeaks.

Good Luck.

-Jonathan
    Jonathan Adkins

Oh yeah, my shackles were I Ovaled out big time at approximately 65k miles, it was dangerous, this kit and it's substantially beefed up components really make me feel better.

11. Member
    Just a tip...if you are going to go ahead with this kit and your trailer has some miles on it, grab a can of PB Blaster and start soaking all the components that will be removed. This CAN make a huge difference when taking things apart. The first one I did, a 2006 trailer, had some miles on it. I coated all the bolts and nuts that had to come off for about a week before I installed the kit. Things came apart pretty easily.

I wish Nitro used these kits straight from the factory.

12. Member
    Bryan - this is where I bought both of my kits. Their prices are usually pretty hard to beat.

https://www.easternmarine.com/dexter...kit-k71-652-00

13. Member
    Did the kit for the tandem trailer also cure the typical "popping" when turning while backing up or going forward?

It really reduces it till there is no more flex to spare then it still pops.

15. Member
    Sounds like a good winter project, amazed how much racket my trailer makes when I drive with the windows down.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

16. Member
    Part 2 from above - I completed the Port side - and like so many things doing the second side only took 1/3-1/2 the time but still was a little bit of a PITA - but not too bad.

A few things I learned #1 - Unload Suspension - be sure all of the springs/suspension are unloaded 100% - both sides. The first side I thought I had the opposite side off the ground and unloaded but didn't (at least not 100%). Having both sides unloaded makes wrestling everything around and lining things up (even with a little jack) much easier. #2 - Work on one section at a time. The first side I unbolted the center shackle and front spring bolt (leaving only the very rear bolt in place) - this made getting everything back together tough(this could have been related to #1). The Port side I unbolted/removed the Center shackle - then replaced it - leaving the very front and very rear bolts in place. Then did the same for rear bolt and finally the front bolts. This seemed to really help keep everything lined up. #3 - Dexter Kit - check the alignment/fitment of the dual bolt/shackle backplate pieces - 2 of the 4 that I had were slightly mis-aligned (once bolted up and torqued they will be perfectly aligned). This isn't a huge deal except if you don't know it and are leaned under the trailer sweating your ARSE off, cussing, pulling, blindly trying to get a nut to start on the shackle bolt! I pulled it apart and found they didn't line up while on my workbench - not radically off, just really tight and with the sharp metal edge if it isn't perfect they will not slide together. To increase, in-large the tolerance I used a step bit to slightly ease the front edge/lip of the end plate - allowing a little more room to slide the end plate in place.

Initial impressions - Squeaks - No question the squeaks on my trailer have been reduced by 95% - the only thing I can hear now (I think) are the leaf springs loading up and unloading. But overall - the noises are basically gone. Leaving my house/bump at end of driveway with the windows down I could actually hear the tires dragging/pushing on the pavement as I jackknifed the trailer leaving the driveway - which I have never heard before. Normally all I could hear was the clanking shackles. Worn Parts - I am very glad I swapped everything as the port side looked almost as bad from a wear perspective as the starboard side. For whatever reason the starboard side looked worse overall but one of the end plates on the port was almost worn through.

Overall I am pleased so far and glad I did especially from a wear perspective. Now on to the next update/install - Lowrance Ghost...for anyone wondering the pedal does fit in the standard 2011 Z8 tray (at least on initial test).

Good luck.

-Jonathan
    Jonathan Adkins

17. Member
    Installed the dexter kit on my z20 trailer. My trailer had a lot of wear from only using it since April. The shackle holes were egg shapped and very loose. It was very eye opening as to why the trailers have all that popping and snapping when turing them. Very good tips above on the install. Was not hard, just a little time consuming getting stuff lined up. I did use an air hammer to put the bronze bushings into the spring ends. Just take the old bolt out, put the bronze bushing on it and insert into the plastic one still in the spring and use a flat end on the hammer and it inserts it perfectly.
    2020 Nitro Z20 250 Pro XS

18. Member
    E-trailer has the tandem axel on sale at the moment for $165.

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Lea...71-359-00.html
    USAF Retired 1981-2004
    Police Detective Retired 2004-2022

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishahaulic View Post
    E-trailer has the tandem axel on sale at the moment for $165.

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Lea...71-359-00.html
    That kit doesn't have the E-Z- Flex rubber equalizer. If you are doing a tandem axle...IMO it's worth the extra $40 to $50 to get the rubber equalizer.

This is a great post! My Z20 trailer squeeks and pops like crazy. This is my next project, along with Gatorbaks.
    Kitz
    2020 Nitro Z20 w/ 250 Pro XS 4-stroke

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast