Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    2017 Z19 trailer

Did the kit today. First side took me about two hours. I used two jacks and jack stands one to jack the middle rear and jackstands to put on the axles, the other jack I used to push suspensions leafs into whatever position I needed them to line up. The main shackle with rubber is pretty easy but the single forward most bolt and rear single bolt were the hardest to get re-aligned. Second side did in about an hour once I knew what i was doing. Seems like right off, it making a big difference. I have to make a pretty tight turn to back my boat up in garage and already no more popping. Boat is being traded in a couple weeks but I figured I would be nice and make the upgrade for the next owner.

What was the condition of your factory hardware like shackles, mine were ovaled out and damaged?
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

Quote Originally Posted by Kitz View Post
    This is a great post! My Z20 trailer squeeks and pops like crazy. This is my next project, along with Gatorbaks.
    They all Squeak and pop the bushings are just not that good. Reality is the equalizer is prolly not needed, but the wet bolts, bushings and shackles will cure the problem.

I hear ya on the Gatorbaks , that is the way to go and seems to be a good company.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishysam View Post
    What was the condition of your factory hardware like shackles, mine were ovaled out and damaged?
    Old bolt flange seats were almost flat so some of the bolts may have been turning or spinning. The bushings were plastic and completely toast and worn out on all the holes. I agree BMCD, the shackle is probably not need so you could probably get away with the cheaper kit to replace the bushings and bolts with wet bolts etc. This is not a easy project without a couple jacks. I struggled getting things to line up.

5. Member
    The replacement equalizer in the kit has bronze bushings instead of plastic and a grease fitting on the pivot bolt. If your that far into changing everything else, why not
    2020 Nitro Z20 250 Pro XS

I would do the equalizer as well. I did a non flex version that had metal bushings and I noticed the stock one had a lot of twist and slop left and right

7. Member
    Made my first decent road trip (about 1,500 miles) after the install - and while it could be subliminal or wishful thinking - the trailer seemed to ride a better especially over large bumps/expansion joins on the interstate. The rattles/squeaks are definitely improved/minimized - and I feel better knowing bolts/hardware aren't so worn.

Good luck.

-Jonathan
    Jonathan Adkins
    2022 Nitro Z21xl 250 ProXS4S
    HDSLive12s/Ghost/AT2/G360

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lkmbjb502 View Post
    Made my first decent road trip (about 1,500 miles) after the install - and while it could be subliminal or wishful thinking - the trailer seemed to ride a better especially over large bumps/expansion joins on the interstate. The rattles/squeaks are definitely improved/minimized - and I feel better knowing bolts/hardware aren't so worn.

Good luck.

-Jonathan
    I think the rubber equalizer has allot to do with that. I thought the same thing the first time I took mine out of the garage after doing to replacement.

So my worn, ovaled out shackles would allow the axels to jump up and down more than the spring meant because of the oval, my trailer with out doubt rides better now.

10. Member
    I'm bad about long messages, will try to keep this short. My friend told me about this post so I could not help but to chime in. I installed the entire "Wet" suspension kit with the center pivot having the rubber bumper on my tandem axle Allison / Boat Mate trailer. Bought from etrailer, great people to deal with! I also changed the leaf springs. The original leafs were getting flat and the axles were bottoming out on the trailer frame. I disassembled the new leaf springs. At the end of each leaf is a sharp ridge like surface. This ridge is a result of cutting the spring with a high speed abrasive cutting device. This little ridge at the end of the leaf springs may be positioned in such a way to be in contact with the mating leaf. If so that little ridge will cut into the mating spring causing a bind along with a terrible ride. Grind those ridges off and radius the end of each leaf. I spread Royal Purple wheel bearing grease generously on all the surfaces between the springs. I cover the springs after assembly with covers that are removable. Result of all this effort is an ultra smooth riding trailer with no squeaks.
    Carte's Custom

11. Member
    This is on my to do list!

12. Member
    Great post, tried searching for a Z20 axle but couldn't confirm. With all the research and feedback I think I'll need the K71-652-00 Complete Tandem Kit which is for 33" axles. The boat is stored indoors in a pole barn for the winter and I don't have quick access to it or I'd go measure.

Its a 2016 Z20 tandem axle with fiberglass fenders with the lower profile package. If someone can confirm that has the 33" axle that would be awesome. It's my early spring project in the next 2-3 weeks but want to order the kit now.
    Scott
    2016 Nitro Z20 Pro
    Serial # 2B125401 - 250ProXS DFI/TM2

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SAL321 View Post
    Great post, tried searching for a Z20 axle but couldn't confirm. With all the research and feedback I think I'll need the K71-652-00 Complete Tandem Kit which is for 33" axles. The boat is stored indoors in a pole barn for the winter and I don't have quick access to it or I'd go measure.

Its a 2016 Z20 tandem axle with fiberglass fenders with the lower profile package. If someone can confirm that has the 33" axle that would be awesome. It's my early spring project in the next 2-3 weeks but want to order the kit now.

Finished the install of the Dexter EXFlex It did take quite a bit of noise out the trailer and well worth it. We are the pothole capital of the midwest and I would say the ride improvement is significant. The roads are really chewed up after winter so that is another positive.

Quick question for others. I did lose some ride height and used a 1" thick hard rubber pad on the fender mounting plates . It basically got it back to where it was and I'd like more clearance and figured I'd go another 1/2" , using star board material of pick up some 1/2" plywood and seal/paint it. Anyone have similar s experience in having to raise it more? The tires are 245 45 18. When it's time for new trailer tires I'm not going to use that size again, I'll sacrifice width so the height isn't an issue.
    Scott
    2016 Nitro Z20 Pro

14. Member
    If you have to raise the fender the equalizer was likely not the correct geometry which leads to the lower ride height. Did you measure and confirm the measurements of the old equalizer before ordering?
    Nitro z21

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonG View Post
    If you have to raise the fender the equalizer was likely not the correct geometry which leads to the lower ride height. Did you measure and confirm the measurements of the old equalizer before ordering?
    Yep absolutely ordered the correct kit. Talked to Dexter before ordering and they confirmed 33" axle , 6ooo kit was what was required. There was only one option with the rubber shock. Plenty of reports of people having to raise their fiberglass fenders. I think it has to do with the 18" rims and low profile tires. Stock tires and rims from the factory would have been good to go.
    Scott
    2016 Nitro Z20 Pro

16. Member
    Ok I’m going with the 448 kit as it comes with a equalizer that matches my original. I’m more concerned with getting rid of the non grease able plastic bushings and maintaining the stock geometry. Last year I bought the 652 but returned it after noticing the equalizer size difference
    Nitro z21

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonG View Post
    Ok I’m going with the 448 kit as it comes with a equalizer that matches my original. I’m more concerned with getting rid of the non grease able plastic bushings and maintaining the stock geometry. Last year I bought the 652 but returned it after noticing the equalizer size difference

Did you get and install this kit? I’ve got low profile tires and I’m thinking this kit would work out better for me so I don’t have to space up the fenders.

18. Member
    I wonder....will this help with the fiberglass fender rubbing issue? I've got glass fenders and it just seems like it sits SUPER low, I rub all the time backing up and pulling up. I have the optional 18" wheels as well. Once this "heatwave" hits us I was thinking about raising the fenders with some spacers.
    2019 Nitro Z19 - 2019 Mercury 200LPXS (2B574151)

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassman69767 View Post
    Did you get and install this kit? I’ve got low profile tires and I’m thinking this kit would work out better for me so I don’t have to space up the fenders.
    yes had the kit for a year now and it’s great. No need to raise fenders but it didn’t change the current clearances. I do wish there was another 1” of tire space in the fenders. Ride seems smoother and definitely more quite
    Nitro z21

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12