Rod butt line ID

The BPS Carbon-lite has a line ID selector built into their butt. I've salvaged one from a broken rod that was given to me and incorporated into a new build for a guy. Does any one know of a source to buy something like these?

2. Member
    Maybe call BPS and see if they can tell you where to get replacement parts for fixing the rod.

3. Member
    Also can look for the model that has that part during their rod trade in program. Sometimes you can buy bulk broken rods from BPS.

4. Member
    Sorry I don't think I was clear. I salvaged the rod butt/line ID selector off a BPS pole that was not fixable. I've used it on a new build, and a couple guys liked it and asked about incorporating one in a new build. I was wondering if anyone knew if any of the rod building suppliers had this type of thing for sale. I'd thought of trying to buy BPS broken stock. I actually did this years ago and built several poles using salvaged parts. Now I'd just like to buy from dealer.

5. Member
    I do not know of a dealer that sells any part like you are asking. The two best solutions would be to salvage off turned in rods or call BPS to see if you can buy the part from them. As far as I know that is a part made specifically for that rod for BPS, not produced for the public.

6. Member
    This is close, but not exactly what I was thinking of as it goes over an existing rod butt. I may buy one to see if it can be converted to being used in a new build. https://www.thebuttdial.com/.

7. Member
    There are lots of solutions to that problem that don't require another piece installed on a rod, also when I looked at one on the floor to simulate fishing conditions it was hard for me to see, especially considering the other more obvious solutions that would just shout at you in any weather, or light situation. Hint, at a glance, what do fly anglers do so they know what type and size line is on their reel, and which one in their vest is the one they would want to change to in different situations?

https://www.wired2fish.com/giveaways...dial-giveaway/

W2F is doing a giveaway on them right now.

9. Banned
    I bought a pack of 9 different colors of electrical waterproof tape. Then made a business card size color chart, laminated it with clear packing tape ,, Worked good.

10. Member
    Thanks for the info on the give-a-way. Thanks for the ideas, unfortunately I don't fly fish.

11. Member
    Dropdeadfred has the right idea, wide stripe for ten, midwidth for five, narrow for counts of one.

12. Banned
    hah guess I dont use that many lines, 9 will end up being plenty for me. 50lb braid, 30lb braid, 20, 17, 15 ,10 floro, 20lb mono. 14 mono, 12 mono.
    8ln stuff only goes on my creak rigs so dont need a label. Probably end up dropping the 17 floro. Going 15 or 20.. Will see how it casts.
    I broke off a few +5's on suffix mono 14lb this year and have moved up. Hate losing fish but also hate losing big fish and leaving a lure in their mouths.

13. Member
    I use a glow thread to tell me which rod I'm pulling out of the locker in the dark, far easier than trying to read a 1/8 " tall number, different colors for different techniques/presentations, rarely do I have two rods for a technique with different lines that would be difficult for me to recognize readily without pulling the rod, or picking a rod off the deck.